advertisement

Winter election III

Status
Not open for further replies.
The DT reports this morning that under Labour's manifesto proposals of an increase in corporation tax, increase in the taxation of dividends and the removal of valuable reliefs, a company director earning £40,000 who pays him or herself with a combination of a small salary and dividends could be as much as £6000 worse off.

This category would include shopkeepers and IT consultants, and self-employed plumbers, builders and so on. In other words normal middle income earners who are often already struggling to make a decent living whilst investing in their businesses, and probably includes a good number of pfm members.
So using your example, ET.

How would this new tax contribution under Labour of £6,000 pa more compare with someone earning £40,000 pa on PAYE?

Here is a link to a tax calculator for £40,000pa.
https://www.netsalarycalculator.co.uk/40000-after-tax/

How much tax is the IT consultant contributing on their £40,000pa ‘small salary + dividend’ idea? I doubt it is more than what you see in the calculator and if a lower amount, these people are not paying their way and it needs to be stopped.

Whataboutery, whataboutery

I’ve called Johnson a liar, and he is. I’ve called the Tories a threat to public services and the working condition of ordinary people, and they are.

Show me where I’ve called A Tory supporter names and I’ll apologise.

Sorry... Was generalising in my comment/question and not referring to you specifically.

I disagree. The sheer level and quantity of outright lying from the Tories is unprecedented in U.K. politics.

Manipulation, twisting the truth, unfortunately we’re used to that sort of thing. But now we’re subject to a deluge of bare faced, total fabrications. That’s new. There’s a good piece on it here - https://mainlymacro.blogspot.com/2019/11/will-uk-voters-really-vote-for.html?m=1

The lies are about virtually everything, and that includes Corbyn (Marxist, racist, terrorist etc). Corbyn isn’t a Marxist, for example, that’s just simply wrong. Whereas BJ genuinely and demonstrably is a liar, comes out with racist and classist language and so on. Just because you think it’s somehow balanced doesn’t mean it is - ‘not great’ is not the same as ‘borderline communist catastrophic and existential threat’. But there’s a bigger picture to the lying than just smearing party leaders.
I never said the media is balanced. Tory lies are being exposed, I think the general consensus is that BJ is a liar & not fit for office. Unfortunately Corbyn is just not very engaging so you are left with who is the least worst, not very compelling.

I think the tories are making it quite easy for Labour, they really are desparately incompetent.

Just in case anyone is still struggling to grasp the sheer extent to which the UK has crashed and burned over the past decade of Tory rule and just how utterly corrupt and fraudulent our politics are viewed internationally this NYT article is well worth a read. It is depressing stuff, but entirely accurate.

Link and some context please or we’ll just assume it’s your usual Telegraph bollocks.

Edit: FFS I just realised DT is the telegraph. Honestly, don’t bother. You might as well cite Boris Johnson.

Oh yes, of course.

So using your example, ET.

How would this new tax contribution under Labour of £6,000 pa more compare with someone earning £40,000 pa on PAYE?

Here is a link to a tax calculator for £40,000pa.
https://www.netsalarycalculator.co.uk/40000-after-tax/

How much tax is the IT consultant contributing on their £40,000pa ‘small salary + dividend’ idea? I doubt it is more than what you see in the calculator and if a lower amount, these people are not paying their way and it needs to be stopped.

If 'these people' have to 'pay their way' that will be the end of the high street, and an awful lot of self-employed and small business owners on the dole.

So much for Corbyn helping the small man.

As a lifelong Labour supporter I am gutted that Labour can’t get their act together. At a time where BJ should be a sitting target they field the most incompetent leader I have seen in a long time.Ive no doubt Corbyn believes every word he says and has heart but Leadership is not his forte. The awful Andrew Neil interview exposed a myriad flaws that damaged the party. He is an activist in a Leadership position. He looks very comfortable. If he doesn’t recognise this and allow others to take the reins I think the party will be buried for a long time.

Another great piece in Haaretz, sadly behind paywall. About troubles of Jewish Labour candidates in Jewish areas of London and real fears of Jewry in the UK. The title says it all:

"Toughest job in UK election: being a Jewish Labour candidate".

https://www.haaretz.com/world-news/...ion-being-a-jewish-labour-candidate-1.8194205

“Most Jews are progressives by instinct and are nervous of xenophobia and nationalism,” says Jonathan Arkush, 65, former head of the Board of Deputies (the principal representative body for British Jewry). “I’m pretty sure that most Jews are remainers."

“Nonetheless,” he continues, “our community would prefer Brexit to Corbyn — Brexit is the lesser evil than anti-Semitism. But we need to keep things in proportion: If we were to have a Corbyn-led government, the consequences would be serious, but not existential. The real effect is on the atmosphere in which the community lives,” he says.

Another great piece in Haaretz, sadly behind paywall. About troubles of Jewish Labour candidates in Jewish areas of London and real fears of Jewry in the UK. The title says it all:

"Toughest job in UK election: being a Jewish Labour candidate".

https://www.haaretz.com/world-news/...ion-being-a-jewish-labour-candidate-1.8194205

“Most Jews are progressives by instinct and are nervous of xenophobia and nationalism,” says Jonathan Arkush, 65, former head of the Board of Deputies (the principal representative body for British Jewry). “I’m pretty sure that most Jews are remainers."

“Nonetheless,” he continues, “our community would prefer Brexit to Corbyn — Brexit is the lesser evil than anti-Semitism. But we need to keep things in proportion: If we were to have a Corbyn-led government, the consequences would be serious, but not existential. The real effect is on the atmosphere in which the community lives,” he says.
Its very difficult to argue with the above sentiment but I guarantee some will. I shall prepare a bingo card.

Johnson’s vile comments are a matter of record not idle gossip.
ofc...not really my point tho. here, the debaters all (see how careful I was there) know these things, these allegation and suggestions. We've known since the brexit bus and earlier. My point simply was that mud is easily found. What should win or lose votes is not the personal character of the man at the front, but what he is suggesting the troops do. All generals are mad, liars, bastards and what you will, but no-one cares if they can beat the bigger bastard over there. THAT is what matters now. How is he (they) going to achieve it, at what cost to who and can I support it.

The derisive contempt for the semi-literate peasants. The anger that those semi-literate peasants should dare call his lying son a liar.

I'm sure that Johnson Jnr feels exactly the same.

The DT reports this morning that under Labour's manifesto proposals of an increase in corporation tax, increase in the taxation of dividends and the removal of valuable reliefs, a company director earning £40,000 who pays him or herself with a combination of a small salary and dividends could be as much as £6000 worse off.

This category would include shopkeepers and IT consultants, and self-employed plumbers, builders and so on. In other words normal middle income earners who are often already struggling to make a decent living whilst investing in their businesses, and probably includes a good number of pfm members.
So go sole trader or paye then ffs.

Oh yes, of course.

If 'these people' have to 'pay their way' that will be the end of the high street, and an awful lot of self-employed and small business owners on the dole.

So much for Corbyn helping the small man.
I’m not referring to small businesses, as I’m sure you know. I’m on about the IT consultant pretending to be a business.

Anyway, can you answer the question using the £40k pa you mention? Are such people currently stumping up less than half the amount tax-payers contribute on PAYE? It would have to be if your suggestion they will pay £6000pa more under Labour is true.

ok cishet. :D
Oh, stfu with your hate driven crap.

The derisive contempt for the semi-literate peasants. The anger that those semi-literate peasants should dare call his lying son a liar.

This is the one I mentioned the other day. The man is a joke. Pistols at dawn etc. Even threw in a lie out the blue, so we know where Pinocchio gets it from. It’s worth watching the whole interview.

There's an awful lot of derisive contempt for the semi-literate (uneducatedfascistracistxenophobicetc) peasants on the brexit thread. In fact, that's just about all there is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back