advertisement

Winter election III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not against higher taxes per se, but its a matter of where it hits. If it hits the small businessman disproportionately when compared with a high earner and puts the small business on the scrap heap, it isn't working. Social cohesion won't come from boarded up high streets.

And whatever Rich's experience, France is far from immune from these problems. Very far, in fact.

It seems pretty clear to me. Higher taxation countries seem to have better community provision, and better social cohesion. Which may lead to a reduced need for individuals to spend, thus a reduced need for higher earnings. A virtuous cycle, if you get it right.
Which comes to the fundamental question of what is government for? The many, or the few?

I'm not against higher taxes per se, but its a matter of where it hits. If it hits the small businessman disproportionately when compared with a high earner and puts the small business on the scrap heap, it isn't working. Social cohesion won't come from boarded up high streets.

And whatever Rich's experience, France is far from immune from these problems. Very far, in fact.
I agree with you on many points and as a fellow micro SME I get it, I know the pain. But guess what...you have it far easier in UK than I have it. But I am ok with it here. Just!

France needs to stop kissing Germany's ass and get out of the EU!:cool:

At the risk of being branded a Tory, again, I am not sure Corbyn's speech in response to the London Bridge attack strikes the right tone. Obviously I fully expected the lies & obfuscation from BJ but I fear JC has left an open goal.
:D

You're protesting too much, among the endless flow of criticism.

Chancellor McDonnell won't be tinkering around the edges of the tax take.

He will be introducing full Marxism. Your house (or probably your houses) will be requisitioned and redistributed to the people within weeks.

Not going to happen.

Markets, foreign powers and our own governing class (which operates above and outside of normal government through the state institutions, banks etc) won't allow it.
They will maintain the upper hand while Labour operates purely via parliamentary means seeking to manage the existing system better than the Tories.

For McDonnell to implement his full Marxist economic policy (and I'm all in favour) it needs millions galvanised into action on the streets to assist a radical government genuinely shifting wealth and power.
That's for another time when conditions and consciousness are quite different. Another big economic collapse could spark such a thing - and we have one of those coming having not fully recovered from the last one.

Not going to happen.

Markets, foreign powers and our own governing class (which operates above and outside of normal government through the state institutions, banks etc) won't allow it.
They will maintain the upper hand while Labour operates purely via parliamentary means seeking to manage the existing system better than the Tories.

For McDonnell to implement his full Marxist economic policy (and I'm all in favour) it needs millions galvanised into action on the streets to assist a radical government genuinely shifting wealth and power.
That's for another time when conditions and consciousness are quite different. Another big economic collapse could spark such a thing - and we have one of those coming having not fully recovered from the last one.
I am a little rusty on Marxism but has it ever worked?

I'm not sure it's possible to see the overall picture, really. What we see is controlled to some extent by who we are, and where we are.​
It depends how global you want to go. I am ultimately a pragmatist & expect Govts to make compromises but I prefer it if they have good intentions & empathy.

EV, a person earning £40k will pay around £9k in tax and NI under PAYE. Are you suggesting that the mechanisms whereby some pay around £3k instead are in some way justified? Does this not, rather, illustrate a flagrant loophole which needs to be plugged?

Don’t forget that in order to pay dividend tax, you first have to make a profit, on which Corp tax has already been paid (which labour will increase). You have employee AND employers NI to pay. The problem is, on PAYE, it’s very cushy. You (very often) get holiday pay, sick pay, pension contributions, life insurance, private healthcare, car allowance, expenses, stock options, redundancy pay etc etc etc. If you are going to forego all of that, the risk vs reward equation needs to stack up. It would appear labour will go after small business and entrepreneurs. They just won’t turn up.

I'm not sure it's possible to see the overall picture, really. What we see is controlled to some extent by who we are, and where we are.​

Especially as a quite important part is being buried by Boris de Pinocchio Johnson, and may (or may not) appear after the election...

I am a little rusty on Marxism but has it ever worked?
Marxism as a critique of capitalism is an incisive analysis. As a predictor of human nature and where that leads us it’s obviously flawed.

McDonnell was clearly referring to Marxism as a criticism of a system that needs reform.

It’s a shame if we can’t have an informed discussion of much needed change with resort to Daily Mail tropes

Marxism as a critique of capitalism is an incisive analysis. As a predictor of human nature and where that leads us it’s obviously flawed.

McDonnell was clearly referring to Marxism as a criticism of a system that needs reform.

It’s a shame if we can’t have an informed discussion of much needed change with resort to Daily Mail tropes
Yes, that is my understanding, an effective critique but his solutions seemed rather 'dreamy'. I do believe it is far easier to critique rather than solve, the nearest thing to success is probably Cuba which has been massively hindered by US sanctions. However, I am always rather mindful of countries that restrict movement of its citizens.

Next to physicality in football discussion, tropes must be the most overused, imprecise word used in the last couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back