advertisement

What's the longest you've gone without a beer/drink?

Was shocked to discover I was drinking far more alcohol than recommended by DoH. I decided to do something about it - drew up my own guidelines so now well below the maximum advised level.

we drink every day. Sometimes one pint or one double G&T. We visit our local 3 maybe 4 times a week, usually for an hour or so for the social mote than anything.

Friday/Saturday could be up to 10 or 12 pints. Sunday is cocktail night or sometimes G&T night.

when I was running evening and weekend gin tasting events it used to be alot more. At its peak it was about 5 tastings a week often staying on in the bar, plus the pub in between....and frequently an experimental session with the bar owner and manager...

Kasp,

I do relish it as much as you do, assuming you relish Tranya as much as I.

Joe

Roughly 45 years. I'm TT, but once, en route to a party back in Oz, I found I hadn't any non-alcoholic cider, but the local bottle shop had some alcoholic cider, so could it be THAT different? I thought. Yes, it could...

Australians couldn't quite comprehend the notion of an Irishman who didn't drink, but then they found that, no matter how plastered they got on a night out, there was always someone to drive them home, someone who was immune to the booze buses of the Victoria Police, out in force on a Saturday night. I suddenly found myself rather popular...

Australians couldn't quite comprehend the notion of an Irishman who didn't drink
As are many in society generally. It's odd that being a non-smoker now is generally applauded as the right thing to do, whereas if you're TT people are a bit sniffy and think you're religious or something or a moralist. It's uncomfortable in societies where there is so much drinking going on. And there is quite a lot.

How is it that some of you aren’t gravely ill? Given the typical age of fishies, drinking like a fish would put you firmly within Sir Osis of the Liver Knighthood territory of alcoholic consumption.

Joe

Longest time without a drink?

about 14 yrs. ago when I was in a coma for a while. Adding the rest of that stay in hospital -
I must have managed 6 months ish. Maybe it was 9 months.

Big T,

A 14-year coma or for 14 years *after* a coma?

(if you were unconscious for 14 years I need to fill you in in some intervening Trek.)

Joe

I must've had a beer sometime this year, but can't remember when it was. Maybe it was last year.

Great British Beer Festival on this week, Sat sorted, Fri possible, depends on a lunch distraction. She will definitely take priority!

Great British Beer Festival on this week, Sat sorted, Fri possible, depends on a lunch distraction. She will definitely take priority!

even as a CAMRA member I really hate it. My local one in St Albans isn't much better. I do like the fact that many local pubs put on mini festivals at the same time around here

These days I usually have 4 or 5 dry days a week. Then a few beers at the weekend. I never got on with spirits and only (rarely) drink wine with a meal.

Having said that I've had a stressful day so cracked open a bottle...only one mind.

even as a CAMRA member I really hate it. My local one in St Albans isn't much better. I do like the fact that many local pubs put on mini festivals at the same time around here
I go back to Ally Pally days for the GBBF. They were brilliant. Nowhere near as good these days but still happy to go.

These days I usually have 4 or 5 dry days a week. Then a few beers at the weekend. I never got on with spirits and only (rarely) drink wine with a meal.

Having said that I've had a stressful day so cracked open a bottle...only one mind.

Red or white?

One full year after my brain stroke, back in 2017.
Six months after some virus deprived me of any taste and smell, a few years ago (well before Covid).
Back to normal. One drink now and then. No beer, ever, I just can’t drink that stuff. Wine, whisky, rum.

advertisement

Back