advertisement

What's the longest you've gone without a beer/drink?

p.s. where did this myth that you cannot drink alcohol whilst taking antibiotics come from? There are very few where this is the case.

I don't think anyone is saying it applies to all antibiotics, just some of them. Some do interact badly. I once cut my thumb down to the bone and was given a very high dose of some antibiotic or other (can't remember what now). I ignored the warning not to drink under any circumstances, went out for a few pints and ended up convincing myself that an unidentifiable life force wanted to use me as a host entity. I've rarely been so scared in all my life.

I haven't drunk any alcohol for 16 years and two months.

I don't miss it at all.

It tastes crap, makes you slur, and throw up.

Jack

I always remembered the definition of an alcoholic taught to me back when I was a psych nurse: 'two pints a night', with the emphasis on the 'a night', i.e. if you drink alcohol every day you have a problem.
I'm not sure a habit is necessarily a problem. That looks like a temperance definition of alcoholic...

There's some plausible looking material on Wiki about 'alcohol dependence' and 'alcohol abuse'.

Paul

I was in the habit of getting a beer from the fridge and opening it as soon as I got home from work, and many times I then thought that I didn't really want it, but now it was opened.....
I stopped that and made a point of not drinking during the week, and eventually it became normal to be like that, and when I had a beer at the weekend I could certainly feel it immediately. I'm a cheap date, me.
During the winter months I like nothing better than an open fire after a day out with the kids on a cold Sunday and having a decent beer - Shepherd Neame preferably. The less I have the more I appreciate it.
I am also completely over the need to drink to have a good night out too, which is a huge benefit. I'll often offer to drive so I can avoid drinking because I actually get some sort of perverse kick out of it. I like the control. It used to be so easy to be swayed into having one and I'm much stronger now. I like that.

I tend to go weeks without having a drink and almost never drink at home. We have got booze in the house but for some reason it never occurs to me to drink it. To be honest if the government decided to ban alcohol tomorrow, it would have almost no impact on me whatsoever.

Rich

Chaps

I think a good glass of wine improves a meal and makes it a lot more enjoyable.

I also (or did) enjoy slowly sipping a glass of whisky late in the evening.

You only have a problem if you cannot stop and I went teetotal for six weeks without any problems at all but I was glad when my six weeks were up.

Regards

Mick

I don't like the taste of any beer or spirits plus beer depresses my mood quite badly, but I am fond of a good red wine although I very very rarely buy any. I think my last drink was a glass of red with my dinner whilst visiting my Dad a few weeks ago.

About as long as it takes to get to my next one..which means I will most probably die early, delusionally (I know it doesn't exist) happy and still convinced my Hi-Fi sounds better at night and has nothing to do with the amount of wine I have consumed by then.

I haven't drunk any alcohol for 16 years and two months.

I don't miss it at all.

It tastes crap, makes you slur, and throw up.

Jack
I drink a beer most nights, and never experience the slurring or vomiting. Are you sure you weren't drinking methanol?

My brother-in-law always says 'never trust a man that doesn't drink' as he cracks open another can, and you know what?, he's probably right.
I do think personally that it's odd if someone doesn't drink at least socially. If they were an alcoholic, then fair enough, but to just bring down the shutters completely (to me, personally) makes me think someone either has insecurity issues, or they have a mask that they are afraid might slip. There may just be an element of truth in that old saying.

I love beer, but alcohol doesn't agree with me (one beer makes me feel wiped out the next day, two beers and I'm on the floor). So I rarely indulge nowadays, unlike my 18-30 years when I rarely went more than 2-3 days without a beer. I have sampled many of the alcohol free beers (since I don't like other fizzy drinks, and miss the malty taste) and some of the German alcohol free beers are pretty decent.

I have never much cared for wine or spirits, but I like the occasional Pimms and lemonade.

My friend had a gallstone removed quite recently and he is trying to get a tolerance for alcohol again, but it can give him serious headaches the next day if he overdoes it - like two glasses of red wine. He's mid-forties and I thought it quite early to have a problem like that. Do you have gallstones Sean?

My wife's brother doesn't drink, never has (doesn't like the taste - whatever that means. Somehow I can't believe he's tried everything) and will sit at a meal with a lemonade or an orange squash instead of wine. It's just...wrong. I know it's wrong of me to have an opinion on something that is of no business of mine, but it just seems immature to me (even though it's me that is immature to think like that). If it was an interview meal at a decent restaurant, I probably wouldn't hire him. That's bad isn't it. It's wrong for me to think like that, but I can't help it.

I think teetotallers don't understand that there are social pressures that need to be responded to in order to 'fit in'. If you don't fit in you are going to find yourself an outsider quite quickly. I think that is just a fact of life - wrong though it may be.
If two candidates for a job go to the pub with the boss after the interview and one has a lemonade and the other has a beer or two with the boss, it won't be the teetotaller that gets the job.
That terrible isn't it. That's so unjust!

If two candidates for a job go to the pub with the boss after the interview and one has a lemonade and the other has a beer or two with the boss, it won't be the teetotaller that gets the job.
That terrible isn't it. That's so unjust!

I think that'd be a very risky thing for the boss to do in view of equality legislation.

If said boss owns the pub you intend to run, then maybe.

I drink very little these days, so it is not unusual for me to go for several weeks without touching a drop. I also generally avoid drinking at home, maybe a single bottle of beer with a curry, that's about it.

In my twenties it was a very different story however, I was in the pub most nights and properly hammered probably three or four times a week. I also ate a lot of kebabs and funnily enough I don't do that any more either.

My brother-in-law always says 'never trust a man that doesn't drink' as he cracks open another can, and you know what?, he's probably right.
I do think personally that it's odd if someone doesn't drink at least socially. If they were an alcoholic, then fair enough, but to just bring down the shutters completely (to me, personally) makes me think someone either has insecurity issues, or they have a mask that they are afraid might slip. There may just be an element of truth in that old saying.

Great, there's me giving it up to feel better (couldn't be an alcoholic if I tried, I just cannot drink that much and when I do I don't feel great the day after) and now it seems some think it creepy.

What is that all about ffs? :-O

advertisement

Back