advertisement

What's the longest you've gone without a beer/drink?

I've been several weeks without any alcohol and now don't drink more than once a week. I found that the longer I abstained the less I even considered it. To me that supports the fact that it is an addictive drug, even though most of us don't consider ourselves addicts. I realised I was drinking a beer out of habit rather than actually wanting one, so I stopped it.

I have a birthday party to go to on Saturday night so I'm going the whole week without anything to compensate, and Saturday will probably be 2 or 3 pints in the pub late afternoon, half a bottle of red wine with dinner and maybe a whiskey before hitting the hotel bedroom. For me, that is a hell of a lot and I'll be feeling it - but fortunately it's always been the case that even when I was in my 20s and drank everything, I could feel really pissed and people would never think I was drunk at all. Somehow I never show any outward signs and only my wife can tell.

I've been several weeks without any alcohol and now don't drink more than once a week. I found that the longer I abstained the less I even considered it. To me that supports the fact that it is an addictive drug, even though most of us don't consider ourselves addicts. I realised I was drinking a beer out of habit rather than actually wanting one, so I stopped it.

I have a birthday party to go to on Saturday night so I'm going the whole week without anything to compensate, and Saturday will probably be 2 or 3 pints in the pub late afternoon, half a bottle of red wine with dinner and maybe a whiskey before hitting the hotel bedroom. For me, that is a hell of a lot and I'll be feeling it - but fortunately it's always been the case that even when I was in my 20s and drank everything, I could feel really pissed and people would never think I was drunk at all. Somehow I never show any outward signs and only my wife can tell.

I suppose I could have been addicted to beer even though I couldn't drink much of it, an emotional reliance rather than a chemical addiction could be defined I suppose on how the person feels when it's taken away, for me I miss the taste of it a lot so maybe it's a chemical thing yet I can still leave it because of memories of the day after, I don't think it's me being strong or having amazing control or anything but rather, like you, it simply gets forgotten about, no control needed.

Anyway, as someone who doesn't drink very often I couldn't for even one minute think others should give up what they enjoy, it's none of my buisness, but I have to say that some can assume that non-drinkers frown on those that drink when they don't, quite the opposite, I mean what a dreadful bore we would have to be to do that!

Now if only I could find a food supplement that took away the downsides of drinking beer I'd probably move to Belgium and not come back!

I've lived in Belgium, and believe me, while there you need a drink!

I lived & worked there and loved the beer and the country, both a bit too much:)
Went 22 days stuck in the North Sea with no alcohol, no worries on the alcohol but had I been forced to stay a day longer, I would have jumped over and tried to swim for it!
Couldn't work at heights for the weather so played snooker, watched films and ate & ate & ate & ate for 22 days. Not the fun it sounds even at an exorbitant hourly rate.

My brother-in-law always says 'never trust a man that doesn't drink' as he cracks open another can, and you know what?, he's probably right.
I do think personally that it's odd if someone doesn't drink at least socially. If they were an alcoholic, then fair enough, but to just bring down the shutters completely (to me, personally) makes me think someone either has insecurity issues, or they have a mask that they are afraid might slip. There may just be an element of truth in that old saying.

I agree with this sentiment, with the proviso that if someone does not drink for medical or religious reasons they are not untrustworthy on this account.

I have known some non- drinkers who had no such valid reasons and almost all were untrustworthy- at least those who I had reason to believe so on some reasonable ground.

wtf a 11 year old thread resurrection

Timely for me, though. I've not had a drop of alcohol since Easter since it seemed to make my long-Covid symptoms worse. Since I'm now about 90% better I might try a beer some time in the next few weeks. I've not really missed it to be honest.

Having posted on page 1 in 2011 about 2 dry days, I have no dry days at all now. I enjoy the wide variety of alcoholic beverages available every day and, more often than not, twice a day.

About 2 months during a period of..."low mood".

Currently about 6 weeks post Covid and resultant DVT. Should be back on the Malt Momentarily Touchwood.

Usually 5 nights off per week but then would drink too much Fri/Sat. Strangely I now drink A LOT less since retiring.

Alcohol in some form? So long ago I can’t recall when, but I do like a cold glass of tranya after a hard day of outsmarting Balok.

Joe

Longest without a drink since I was 16 is 3 months, first marriage, absolutely skint, trying to make a wreck of a house habitable. I don't drink Monday to Thursday apart from the very rare works event or will have 1 beer or a glass of wine if we end up in Pizza Express or similar before a gig or cinema.

My problem is binge drinking, it doesn't take that many to get me drunk but I can keep going and sometimes going and going. I don't do it very often now, maybe 3 or 4 times a year. I do enjoy a few beers at home on friday evening and maybe some wine or G&T's over the weekend. If we have a BBQ I'll have a few bers with that too.

One of my ex workmates gave me the nickname 'Brown Bottle' after the Viz character, I used to get in a few scrapes in my late teens through drinking.

Cheers BB

I very rarely binge-drink. I can count the number of times I've been falling-down drunk on the fingers of one finger. Maybe three or four times more when I've been more than slightly pissed.

I recently went about 15 months without a drink, a bit of an accident to be honest. I started out by deciding to do a dry January by choice at the beginning of 2021 and ended up not drinking until the end of March beginning of April 22. And to be honest whilst I like a beer or a glass of wine, I really didn't miss not drinking for the 15 months. Previously I had done it twice not by choice due to illnesses, it was much nicer doing it because I wanted to. Now I am back drinking, I will probably have a bottle of wine spread over a weekend and maybe a beer or two another day.

advertisement

Back