advertisement

What's the longest you've gone without a beer/drink?

I know it's ridiculous, unfair and bigoted - but doesn't society make the default a pressure to drink alcohol socially, and for the person that doesn't to slightly remove themselves from the core of the crowd, and therefore the inner circle of a group?
I know it's crazy, but why does that saying come up still?

Clearly I'm the only one that thinks that it does alienate. I'm not saying it should, just that I think society does that. When I only drank a beer on one evening a week - usually at the weekend - I got quizzed about it and people would try to persuade me to have one. It's daft I know, but I think there exists a curiosity of non-drinkers in a social drinking environment, but I am obviously alone in thinking this.

I wish I hadn't mentioned it now.

(I hope you appreciate the irony that the non-drinkers have alienated a part-time drinker :) )

Now, back to the question

For those of you who enjoy a beer/drink? What's the longest you've gone without?:(

well, since becoming an adult, I have twice deliberately gone 3 months without a beer The first time it was for a bet, and the second time it was because I was living in Frankfurt, Germany, which as everyone will know has no beer and no wine but has something called Apfelwoi (a kind of shit coloured cider - yak). I suppose that if I had been living in Bavaria then I would have been drinking the local beer which is great. These days I tend to stick to two glasses of wine with food at home, but if I go out, then I will happily drink a lot of beer / lager / Guinness or whatever. I find that beer is a great leveller and does remove unnecessary inhibitions. I don't like the modern tendency for companies to ban employees from having a beer at lunchtime (OK - that makes sense for Doctors, Fireman, pilots, but not your average office worker), as conversations over a beer at lunchtime tend to be a lot more productive than one of those that happens "at the water cooler".

I think some people don't like the taste of alcohol. I have a friend who doesn't, she stayed with me for a couple of weeks as she had work in the area and asked me if I'd introduce her to wine as she wanted to be able to appreciate it. I started with some very easy stuff, nice light whites, soft reds, without success and in the end I gave up - she just doesn't like the taste. When she's out she has a couple of Smirnoff Ice type alcopops but that's all. At the same time there are people who don't process it well, I have a friend who rarely drinks because she has the most vicious hangover the whole of the next day even after only a couple of beers. Some people process it very well indeed, the woman I'm seeing just now can probably drink me under the table any night of the week if she wants!

ampman, are you putting the money you would have spent on beer and such like towards more music, might help to pass the time.

I love beer, but alcohol doesn't agree with me (one beer makes me feel wiped out the next day, two beers and I'm on the floor). So I rarely indulge nowadays, unlike my 18-30 years when I rarely went more than 2-3 days without a beer.

Same here, the country is awash with booze though-you do notice it more when you are practically tee-total. People can't have a chat without getting the cans out these days.
There are plenty who need to justify their habitual boozing and who fail to acknowledge they have a problem.

I think this in vino veritas thing is a lot of nonsense.

The usual progression is:

talk shite

talk more shite, louder

get lairy, say people are looking at you funny

say the person next to you is your best mate, ever

become maudlin and sentimental

fall asleep/fall over

Ah! Rasher, I've just read your post #25 and I think I've got it.

Non drinkers might be seen to be in more control when out with drinkers, they, somehow, being at a disadvantage if a person that can have just as much ability/fun/whatever without it must be an alien etc.

Watch our eyes swivel!!

The last two years I've given up alcohol for lent. In retrospect, going to a beer festival probably wasn't the best way to celebrate Easter last time around...

some graph somewhere showed that those who abstain have a similar mortality to those who consume >69 units per week. 68 per week it is then.

Yeah, that stat is widely regarded as flawed because large a number of the abstainers have drunk more in a few years than the rest of us will in our whole lives, that's why they now abstain. They don't have a choice. This accounts for high mortality in people who apparently don't drink, the damage has been done. Sorry. I do like the 68 pint logic though.

My pint of Tetleys was very nice. Tea now I think.

I can go months without alcohol. I can take it or leave it, and usually choose the latter.

Those that like a bit of red wine and find it actually helps rather than hinders, take a look: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quercetin

As an anti inflamatory after exercise I've found it to be excellent and I reckon it might be part of the reason people feel better with red wine.

After seven days on this (one in the morning, one at night): http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=270&prodid=132 has quite an antihistamine effect, made me feel all sparkly, a dietry supplement actually worth the money for once.

Lance Armstrong liked it so much he bought a company that makes energy drinks with it.

I'm not buying any more wonder pills only to forget to take them after a few days and find them at the back of the shelf years later when there use by date has expired!

Rowan, after taking them you won't forget, the effect is that different from all the shite on the health store shelf. :-D

advertisement

Back