advertisement

What are you listening to right now #4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Tony L
What pressing do you have? It's an album I'd like a copy of but as far as I'm aware it has not ever been officially reissued and the original RCA vinyl is worth a fortune (can eBay at >£100). I think all CDs and recent vinyl are pirates. What label is your copy on and what's the quality like? Is it a vinyl transfer?

Tony.

I've got the recent vinyl re-release (when I say recent, I mean about 5 years ago). It's not a bad pressing, and it sounds fine, even though it is a bootleg. More to the point, it's such an historically important record that you *must* buy a copy.

-- Ian

Bright Eyes - Fevers and Mirrors

Cheery stuff.

Will be:

Probably 'Everything Is' by Nine Black Alps, but maybe the new Malcolm Middleton.

Mundo Livre S.A. - Carnaval na obra Metal-tinged samba funk 'n' rap. I didn't like this for some strange reason when I first picked it up. Listening now, and it's absolutely stonking.

Now: Polygon Window - Surfing on Sinewaves (aka Aphex Twin)

Tony L, my copy of Tone Float does seem to be a bootleg (no discernable record label) but sounds good (better that I expected in fact) and seems decently pressed and printed. Definitely worth having.

Next: Amon Duul II - Yeti, maybe? (To match the sought-afterness of the Polygon Window!:D )

Was: Some Madlib mix of Lootpack, Jaylib, Quasimoto, Madvillain, Jill Scott, Stetsasonic, etc
Is: Pete Rock- Hip Hop Underground Soul Classics
Will Be: Probably a Soul Jazz xxx% comp

Is: Mathias Schaffhaeuser - Coincidence [Ware Records/Kompakt] (excellent collection of clubby tunes, just the right stuff to break in the new Lowther drivers)

Will be: Ellen Allien - Thrills [BPitch Control]

Was:
* Turibio Santos and Oscar Caceres - Music for two Guitars
* Jimmy Smith - best of. Got this yesterday. What great music I've been missing!
* Flamenco, Ethnic Folkways Library
* Alirio Diaz - The Classic Spanish Guitar

Is:
* Kraftwerk - Autobahn

Was: Anthony Braxton: 23 Standards - I keep returning to this for Kevin O'Neill's guitar playing
Is: The Books, Safe and Lost -Iron and Wine meet Matmos - which is a good thing
Next: Kraftwerk - joined the PFM clamour and picked up Minimum Maximum - I never quite got Kraftwerk so thought I'd give the another go 25 years on. I quite like this, esp the more techno moments but still find some of the sweepig synth passages very cloying and the vocorder is the devils own tool - ughh - but a lot of these tracks do whip up a groove. More for the car than the house methinks.

Anthony Braxton: 23 Standards - I keep returning to this for Kevin O'Neill's guitar playing.

More great 'standards' playing on In The Tradition (Steeplechase) and Seven Standards 1985, Volumes 1&2 (Magenta).

dave

Was: Sleater-Kinney "The Woods"
Is: The Herbalizer "Take London"
Will Be: Stephen Malkmus "Face the Truth"

Was: Annie- Anniemal (f*cking yuck)
Is: Books- Lemon of Pink
Will Be: Smog- Knock Knock (replacement recv'd today)

PS- Also heard a new Sufjan Stevens track from the upcoming "Illinoise" in the car earlier.

Was : Highlights of Bangladesh beating Australia.

Is : howls of laughter

Will be : More laughter, followed by something gentle. Satie, maybe.

Was

Feudalist Tarts - Alex Chilton

Gorillaz - What a lovely pressing

Take London - Herbaliser

Beck - Guero (45RPM)

Lazer Guided Melodies - Spirtualized (45RPM)

Is

Michael Franti and Spearhead - Live in Paradiso 2001 - Fabchannel again

Fu

Originally posted by alexgerrard
Was : Highlights of Bangladesh beating Australia.

Is : howls of laughter
Alex,

I was up 'till all hours this morning listening to this. I didn't laugh, but was pleased for Bangladesh as it sounded as though they played a good game. Will England be able to do the same this evening?

Is: Ella Fitzgerald and Chick Webb - Ella Sings Chick Swings

Will be: Duke Ellington - Autumn Leaves

Regards,

Stuart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back