advertisement

What are you listening to right now #4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by alexgerrard
Somewhat unsurprisingly:

Is: Belle and Sebastian 'Push Barman To Open Old Wounds'

Essential, IMO.

I was listening to 'If You're Feeling Sinister' earlier in the week, and may investigate 'Push Barman To Open Old Wounds' over the weekend, depending on the weather amongst other things.

It's slightly perkier, and as it's a compilation of eps and singles from throughout their career it shows a progression from the stripped down melancholy of the early stuff to the slightly bigger production melancholy of the newer stuff.

Currently listening to Robbie Mcintosh–Widescreen .

Not a deep album. Not a groundbreaking album. Just a good, solid, enjoyable effort, especially for fans of the man and his guitar work (I'm definitely a fan). Comfortable music that's always fun, never boring. More evenly written than 1999's "Emotional Bends".

Was:The Concretes - The Concretes
Is:Swamptrash - It makes no never mind

Must go looking for Minimum Maximum tomorrow

It's been the Drone Zone through iTunes all afternoon. At one point my GM walked in and I was drooling with a blank stare.

>Drumming and chanting in God's own country: the temple music of Kerala in South India (TopicTSCD922) this is a really strong album. Superb drumming, BIG gongs, strong chanting. Echoes of both African drumming and Java Gamelan. Dev needs a copy.
>> The soup which is sweet draws the chairs in closer - drumming from Ghana (Topic TSCD924) woooh, the semi-mythic Ewe drumming tradition lives, albeit in slightly mutated form; shorn of some of its original religious and ritual meaning. Whatever, the Ewe people are the big cats of the legendary West-African BIG drum ensembles.
>>>The king's musicians: royalist music of Buganda-Uganda (Topic TSCD925) Don't know enough to get into discussions about this yet.
Much later assorted vinyl picked up for a pittance at Parade in Mitaka: various Des Pres & Ockegheim records, Peter Tosh - Equal rights, Inde, danses classiques et folkloriques, a very promising-looking album from Taiwan, the title of which I can't quite read but with a picture of a very large drum and a two-string Chinese lute on the cover :D, and finally Osorezan more Japanese psychedelic buddhist/animist/fuzz guitar madness - think the soundtrack to Monty Python's Life of Buddha meets the Ruttles.
And maybe, just maybe some more gagaku...

Originally posted by joel
a very promising-looking album from Taiwan, the title of which I can't quite read but with a picture of a very large drum and a two-string Chinese lute on the cover :D
This turned out to be Taiwanese country and western!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Shows that you never can tell.
Osorezan OTOH, is totally, brilliantly barmy, beautifully recorded and will soon be outraging the proud citizens of Cheadle.

Was: The Doves kexp in-studio performance, in my car (Very okayish)
Is: Animal Collective w/ Vashti Bunyan- Prospect Hummer [EDIT: Just ended after what seemed like 10 minutes start to finish of freak folking]
Is now: Silver Jews- Bright Flight (a new purchase minutes ago)
Will be: Smog- Knock Knock (a new purchase minutes ago)

Uhhhh, so I opened the Smog jewel case to find... nothing. No problem though. Called the record store and a replacement has been ordered.

Instead, will be: Talk Talk- Spirit of Eden, and a nap

Was: Pipe: Ashtray/Warsaw, Gastr del Sol: 20 Songs for Less, Sentridoh: Losercore.

Is: Frances Gumm: Vertical Bob/Damages

Will Be: Versus: Insomnia takes it's [sic] toll on us

Was: Brian Henneman- Indianapolis/Get Down Wave that Flag

Is: Butterglory: Alexander Bends/Pocket of Scabs/etc.

Will Be: Dolomite: Tarantula/Sloppy 70's Woodstock Titties/etc.

Was: Bastro-Nothing Special, b/w My Dad is Dead - Flesh Colored House, and then Pie Wagon- Anything But Michael/9 (anything but Pie Wagon, I'm afraid)

Is: Wider - Triangle/Bloom

Will Be: Erectus Monotone: Glider/Soul Taker

Dolomite kicked it out. Must find more.

Was: Fuse - Bloodlock Bunny/You're my Stuperific Playmate, etc. (another fine PCP Entertainment production), then Grifters - Corolla Hoist/Thumbnail Sketch, then Cherubs - Carjack Fairy (fit with Corolla Hoist)

Is: Butterglove - Dirtbench/Sleep Thirsty (yikes)

Will Be: Simpletones - "Hero Full Steel Balls" with Chains/Pet Rock, etc.

Simpletones was surprisingly good. It's on Sugar Ditch records, FYI. Butterglove seems to be available here, in case there are any family members you need to alienate.

Was: Dirt Merchants - Mindfuck/Beware of Dog, then Eggs - The Government Administrator/Sugar Babe, then Gaunt - Solution/Black Cat, then Breadwinner - Tourette's/Kisses Men on the Mouth on the Mountain

IS: Crain - Crackhouse/Hey Cops!, etc.

Will Be: Bugskull, Girls against Boys, Nova, Mob, that kind of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back