advertisement

What are you listening to right now #4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Joe Hutch
Is that a good 'Hmmmmmmmmm' or a bad 'hmmmmmmmmm'?

To be honest, in the course of listening to it twice in succession I've had the following thoughts:

'I wonder if there'll be an instrumental version'
'I like it'
'It's not music, it's more art'
'When will I ever sit down and want to listen to this again'
'mmmmmmmm, food'

The last one was more to do with it being lunchtime.

I'm really not sure - the 'vocoder' (or whatever the voice effect is) sounds like it will get on my nerves over time, and I suspect that the jury is still out. It's not being filed in the 'to keep' section yet, that's for sure.

What is undoubted is that it sounds very well done on my 'umble little system.

Originally posted by alexgerrard
To be honest, in the course of listening to it twice in succession I've had the following thoughts:

'I wonder if there'll be an instrumental version'
'I like it'
'It's not music, it's more art'
'When will I ever sit down and want to listen to this again'

Ah, so it was an indecisive hmmmm.

I've read some rave reviews of the album, but in my experience rave reviews are no real guide to quality. The only two Eno lbums Iown are 'iscreet Music' (heard once and put away) and 'Another Green World' (listened to loads of times). If it's more like the latter than the former I might take a punt on it.

I can't really help you with that comparison Joe.

I haven't got, and don't ever remember listening to, Another Green World. I have plenty of other Eno stuff, but it's mainly the warbling ambient stuff. I've got the collaboration with David Byrne (My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts), which is ok I suppose although it doesn't get played a lot which probably says quite a lot.

Currently playing : The Bravery - self titled.

Allegedly like The Killers, but not to my liking and will be listed on Amazon Marketplace immediately. Great opening track, it has to be said.

Originally posted by alexgerrard
I can't really help you with that comparison Joe.

I haven't got, and don't ever remember listening to, Another Green World.

Ah well. I've got a long shortlist of several dozen possible CD purchases so I'll just add theEno to the bottom of the list and cadge a listen at Borders or somewhere.

A lot of people know the title track to Another Green World because it's used as the theme tune for 'Arena' on BBC2.

Penguin Cafe Orchestra – Signs of Life.

Next up: probably some Sarah McLachlan. Not sure why; maybe it's the rainy weather. Must "build a mystery".

I've shared too much, haven't I.

Was - St Etienne - Tales from Turnpike House - rather wonderful in a suburban and twee sort of way
Is - Kate Bush - Hounds of Love
Will be - Attao decentte - The Baby within us marches on - saw them support Billy Bragg in the 80s and recently dug out their album -agitpop with some great tunes.

Glenda

Six Wives of Henry VIII - Rick Wakeman

It always amazes me how some gout and syphilis ridden ugly, (he's well dead mods, please don't pull this) as the pictures always denote could have had so many women. I guess being King has its advantages.

Mick

I didn't know Rick Wakeman had gout and syphilis :)

Josef K, Young and Stupid. Better than I remember them being.

-- Ian

Originally posted by sideshowbob

Josef K, Young and Stupid. Better than I remember them being.

-- Ian

Now we're talking! Would that be the vinyl or CD version Ian? - they are very different albums - but both wonderful.

Rich

CD, unfortunately, but it's on my mental list for secondhand vinyl shopping.

I remember not thinking much of them at the time for some reason, but it's good. I was wrong, not for the first time.

-- Ian

Labradford, Fixed::Context. The first track on this, "Twenty", is one of my favourite bits of ambient music. The rest of Labradford's career seems to be not-quite-as-good retreads of that one track, unfortunately.

-- Ian

Labradford, Fixed::Context.
How does one read that name: LAB RAD FORD or, worryingly, LA BRADFORD?

NP An Anthology of Indian Music vol 1, this is a 3-album box set (on World Pacific Records, a Liberty company) faturing Ravi Shankar, Ali Akbar Khan, Balachander, Shankar Ghosh and a host of others. It's a great set and in good condition, too. Sadly the liner notes are AWOL.

CD, unfortunately, but it's on my mental list for secondhand vinyl shopping.
-- Ian

That will be quite a 'mental list' I expect ;)

Rich

Amazingly enough, even though I can barely remember my own name sometimes, I never forget a record I'm looking for...

-- Ian

Now: Organisation - Tone Float
Proto-Kraftwerk, not too groovy, but plenty of bonkers noises.
(In a good way, obviously.)

Organisation - Tone Float

What pressing do you have? It's an album I'd like a copy of but as far as I'm aware it has not ever been officially reissued and the original RCA vinyl is worth a fortune (can eBay at >£100). I think all CDs and recent vinyl are pirates. What label is your copy on and what's the quality like? Is it a vinyl transfer?

Tony.

World Soccer Anthem/GOTA - Beyond cheese, and probably the worst piece of "music" I have ever been forced to listen to.
Acid here we come....

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back