advertisement

What are you listening to right now #4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stuart

Bangladesh played well, considering the comprehensive battering that they took losing by 10 wickets and being used as hitting practice by Trescothick and Strauss only a few days earlier.

As well as Bangladesh played, Australia were woeful. The batting was pedestrian, the fielding was amateurish at times and the bowling was average at best. After 10 years of unassailable dominance, the Aussie team at least looks fallible for the first time. Any team that cannot defend 342 in a one day game has a few problems if you ask me.

And that fallibility will do for me - give me a fallible opposition and a chance of a contest over a whitewash every time.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves eh!

I think there is at the very least the chance the Ashes will be a contest this time, rather than the stroll the Aussies usually enjoy. Whether that will be enough to overturn 16 years of heartbreak is another matter altogether.

Interestingly though, it can hardly be said that Australia are enjoying any psychological dominance over England these days. We're getting the characteristic pot-shots from Glenn McGrath, but I'm still waiting to see him put his money where his mouth is.

Originally posted by alexgerrard
Stuart
And that fallibility will do for me - give me a fallible opposition and a chance of a contest over a whitewash every time.
Agreed. I'll be turning the telly on shortly to see what's what. I suspect they will approach this match with a slightly different attitude.

Regards,

Stuart.

PS - playing Jimmy Smith, again. Just so groovy!

Was "banging trance" :rolleyes: all Saturday and most of Sunday.
Is Bach Cantatas in a Harnoncourt box set
Will be (again) Songs of the Auvergne - Victoria de los Angeles

OK, got that wrong

Is Kraftwerk Minimum Maximum and will be all week. Glorious stuff and wonderful in the heat that we are enjoying in Oxford today. Do I need any of the back catalogue or does this suffice?

Kevin

Just about to put the barbie and some Jethro Tull - Broadsword and the Beast on then pour a couple of beers.

Mick

Change of plan - beers first ;)

Originally posted by kjb
OK, got that wrong

Is Kraftwerk Minimum Maximum and will be all week. Glorious stuff and wonderful in the heat that we are enjoying in Oxford today. Do I need any of the back catalogue or does this suffice?

Kevin

Yes, you need all of the back catalogue. Luckily, it's not very extensive. Every record has moments of astonishing brilliance. If I had to pick one, it would be Trans-Europe Express, side 2 is the best 20 minutes of electronic music ever produced.

-- Ian

El-P- Fantastic Damage, and fantastic it is! Having longer shelf life than a lot of my other undie hip-hop albums...

Henry Cow, Western Culture. The final HC album, and their least rockish record, Chris Cutler plays some of his best stuff on this record.

-- Ian

Kraftwerk - Minimum Maximum

Like most other people, I would've thought. It's not bad actually, I reckon these people will go far.

Everything at the moment with my newly fitted Goldring Eroica LX.

My kids bought me Kaiser Chiefs - Employment on CD for fathers day,( bless them ) I obviously had to go through the motions of exitedly playing my new CD and really quite enjoyed it , however could wait to get back to the black stuff and my new toy ...:D

Originally posted by ErikL
El-P- Fantastic Damage, and fantastic it is! Having longer shelf life than a lot of my other undie hip-hop albums...

Undie hip hop - now there's a concept worth exploring
pubic enemy...YWA, Natz,

Sorry Erik but that's a great typo!! Undies = UK for..shorts as in Underwear

Still playing : Kraftwerk

Kevin

Just went through two of my weekend purchases.

Warren Zevon – The Wind
Enough time has probably passed now for me to be able to rate this on its own terms, outside the context of Warren's death. In that regard, I find it's a pretty good album. Some very good songs here - Prison Grove, Rub Me Raw, and Keep Me In Your Heart are my faves so far - but there's also some questionable production choices and a phenomenal waste of backing talent. To my ears, only David Lindley, Emmylou Harris, and possibly Mike Campbell (because I think he can do no wrong) make any really interesting noises as contributors. Joe Walsh absolutely walks through what should have been a terrific solo break on Rub Me Raw; Tommy Shaw's shimmery 12-string fails to mesh on Knockin... and as for the choice of putting the Boss, Billy Bob, and T-Bone on backup vocals; well, that's too bad.

Drive By Truckers – Decoration Day
A solid album. However... hey, I'm all for standing on the shoulders of giants, but these guys "borrow" liberally from a lot of bands who just plain did it better than what's on offer here. Among the bands who should be getting royalties off this album are: The Bottle Rockets, The Rave Ups, Winter Hours, The Eagles, Cowboy Junkies, and probably Neil Young and REM. I'm not knocking the Truckers; there are some nice songs here, and some good sounds. But if you really like what you hear on this one, you owe it to yourself to check out The Bottle Rockets – The Brooklyn Side (anything by the Rockets, really); The Rave Ups – The Book Of Your Regrets; Winter Hours – Winter Hours. That is, if you haven't already.

Jackie McLean, New Soil. Possibly the best McLean LP, weighty, complex and interesting stuff, a clear precursor to the 60s avant garde but still recognisably bebop, and damned funky, opens with probably my favourite McLean piece, "Hip Strut".

-- Ian

Day off, nobody around...
Mornington Island Corroboree songs - Authentic Dances of Australian Aboriginees on Mornington Island Picked up for 300 yen at Disk Union. This is really marvellous. There is actually surprising variation and modulation especially in the interplay between the vocal and didge drones. I was fully expecting not to enjoy this, but am happy to report that that was totally wrong. Need more of this, much more...
Monks and nuns of Ninmawa Monastery - Ritual and Magic Music II-I (my translation from the Japanese, the phonetic "Ninmawa" is probably far off target). This is trance ritual that connects the players with the dead - quite literally, as many of the instruments are made from human bones & skulls. This is music to make you reflect on your own mortality. Hardly happy and "chill", and not not very "healing" either.
Musique Malagache (Ocora OCR24) Early Ocora field recordings from Madagascar of the original "world fusion" music. Magnificent. A genuine form of music without boundaries. At times I could have sworn it was Afro-Inca music from Peru, in other places an Arabo/Euro/Afro fusion... Everyone should have a copy of this album.
Music of the Hamar of Southern Ethiopia (Museum Collection vol 6 - Museum fur Volkerkunde, Berlin) I have the CD, which is great. What I am playing now is a *mint* copy of the vinyl double album.
Excuse my french, but this is IN-****ING-CREDIBLE. The recording, the notes, the pressing (really - it's a top-quality TELDEC, and is one of the two or three best pressed albums I own!), but above all it is the music that is amazing. A duet between a three string hunting bow and the birds in the forest? Psychedelic does not even begin to come close.
Many thanks to Markus for putting me on the trail of this vinyl. It was worth every penny and more.
Court Music of Korea (Musiques de l'asie traditionelle vol.21 / Playa Sound) Anotha stunna. Think Gagaku, but chunkier! The whole thing is also a fraction funkier than Gagaku. Then there is the superb solo "clarinet" improvisation on side two that sounds like, well not quite like anything else TBH. Last track on side 2 is a female singer accompanying herself on a 12-string cithar with some percussion. Pain, passion, agony, vocal fireworks it's all there. As unlike the somewhat stilted Koto music of Japan as it is possible to get while still playing essentially the same instrument.
That's it for the morning session :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back