advertisement

What are you listening to right now #3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by dave
Try Miles' Cookin' at the Plugged Nickel, The Complete Concert 1964: My Funny Valentine + Four and More, or Live at The Plaza Vol. 1 . All three disks are a good intro to Miles. KoB and Sketches of Spain are both monumental Miles recordings but the three I just mentioned will show you another side of the man. Incredible energy as he and his sidemen tear down the house!
Just got hold of Four and More. Very good, thanks, but a not very serious question:

Why is it that American jazz recordings from the 50s and 60s have these over-the-top reverential sleeve notes? Anyone would think that these records represented the Second Coming, or something equally momentous. Why not just let the music speak for itself?

Originally posted by sideshowbob
For the last few hours, lots of Ornette Coleman, in preparation for seeing him live in a couple of hours time.

-- Ian

So what was it like? Detailed write up please.

today:
Enrico Rava : Easy Living
Thelonius Monk: Genius of Modern Music 2
EST: PLay Monk

Reading Richard Cook's biog of Blue Note so will be playing plentry of the back catalogue over the coming days.

Kevin

<< Beastie Boys - Pauls Boutique
>| Beastie Boys - Check Your Head
>> Jimmy Smith - Back at the Chicken Shack

J

Billie Holliday (from a 3LP compilation on US Columbia)
Astral Weeks by Van Morrison
Various classical LPs bought via PFM!

It was great. Is that detailed enough? :)

Two bassists (Greg Cohen and Tony Falanga), drums (Denardo), and Ornette, mostly alto, but a bit of trumpet and a tiny bit of his famous "let's piss them off with this" violin. He looked frail when walking onto the stage, although sharp as a razor in a yellow suit and excellent hat, but as soon as he started blowing he was just like the Ornette of 40 years ago, he hasn't lost any of his power. Falanga mostly bowed while Cohen plucked, which worked really well, the first two songs were a bit subdued but as the gig went on it all gelled beautifully. All new material, as expected, apart from an encore of "Lonely Woman", which was lovely. Falanga was impressive, he did some really nice high pitched bowing responses to Ornette's alto, and there was only one solo in the whole set, a brief drum solo from Denardo at the end (at which point Ornette turned round to watch, with a proud "that's my boy" look on his face), otherwise it was a total group experience. Recognisably avant-bebop, very recognisably Ornette. I saw him when he last played in London 4 years ago, and the current group impressed me more than that performance did. The shame is that he seems completely unwilling to record, his last album was about 8 years ago, yet he has so much great new music. Baffling, but no doubt he has his reasons.

-- Ian

I thought it started slowly simply because they didn't have the (and this is a historic first at the bass heavy Barbie!) bass volume loud enough. I was astounded by Ornette! The key with the two bass group is to get the attack of the music right and ears spoiled by Izenson/Haden thought Falanga didn't quite manage it. Cohen, I think, did. Denardo is awesome. I think as the years pass I appreciate the beauty of Ornette's ballad playing more and more. The Lonely Woman encore was spellbinding. A true privilege.

John

Ian, there was a flier for John Tchicai with a Brit sextet at the Red Rose which I seem to have lost. Any idea of the date?

I hadn't spotted the flyer. Looks like a good gig though, he's playing with Evan Parker/John Edwards/Mark Sanders. May 19th. I'd be there myself, but I'll be in France that day, bugger.

-- Ian

Thanks for the Ornette write ups. Sounds wonderful. Very envious.

If you hear of any illicit recordings of the evening...

Currently: Ornette Coleman: Golden Circle Vol 1!!

Kevin

This evening's playlist so far:

Close Lobsters - What is there to smile about.
Stump - A feirce pancake.
Art Pepper - Meets the rhythm section.
a couple of sides of By the fruits you will know the roots.

Tony.

Kevin, I think Jazz on 3 recorded the Cheltenham gig, watch the website for broadcast dates.

-- Ian

UNKLE - Edit Music For A Film

A trainspotters delight. Not a rehash of 'Do Androids....' and 'Big Brother', but a completely new mix of existing UNKLE tracks, excerpts from soundtracks, dialog, and all UNKLIFIED to make a cohesive mix that leaves the hairs on the back of my neck stood on end.

I had the original 'After Dark' mix on .mp3 after it was aired at the ICA. Much of this new CD is based on that, but has been extended and made more wonderful.

Absolutely essential, especially if you know your films.

Slint, Spiderland. Not quite as good as Tweez, but not disappointing either.

Why did I never listen to this lot before? I've heard about them often enough.

-- Ian

I just returned from Sonic Boom with the following, all on deck for the afternoon:

Architecture in Helsinki- In Case We Die (on now; I think sideshowbob and other Fiery Furnaceitos might like it; wish I hadn't knee jerkily sold last year's release... doh!)
Stereolab- Oscillons From the Anti-Sun
Caribou (Manitoba)- The Milk of Human Kindness
Edan- Beauty and the Beat

If Dr. Mekon reads this I would like to ask if you've experienced The Perceptionists' album?

I also eyed all the Eno reissues but that will be another day. And aww nuts I just remembered that Out Hud has a new one.

Originally posted by sideshowbob
Slint, Spiderland. Not quite as good as Tweez, but not disappointing either.

Why did I never listen to this lot before? I've heard about them often enough.

-- Ian

We can never listen to everything out there. I think my favourite track is from the ep though.

Now listening to a live double lp with Alan Silva, Vibracathedral, Paul Flaherty and a few others. On splattered multicoloured vinyl as usual from QBICO. From the site:

" Wild-style two LP set from Qbico documenting a night in Bruxelles that
matched America firepower from the fingers of bassist/electronic improviser
Alan Silva, drummer Chris Corsano and saxophonist Paul Flaherty with the
massed ranks of the UK's Vibracathedral Orchestra and Finnish duo Lauhkeat
Lampaat. The line-up breaks down into various individual cells with Alan
Silva, Lauhkeat Lampaat and Vibracathedral Orchestra all contributing
individual tracks before Flaherty and Corsano join the Lauhkeat Lampaat duo
as part of a big-band Vibracathedral Orchestra blow-out. From a
performance that took place on 8th April 2004. Comes in ridiculously
inappropriate full-colour sleeve featuring the cast as space monkeys. Paul
Flaherty image is especially accurate, while Lauhkeat Lampaat boast some
wild ass. Both LPs pressed on colour, psychedelic vinyl. Recommended" DK.

Micrologus - D'amor cantando 13th century ballads and madrigals from Venice

was: Necks: Drive By
is: Out Hud: not sure of the title, sent a copy by a friend in nyc. Hadn't heard of them before but love this punky/electro hybrid.
next: maybe some Yo La Tengo -it's been a day or so

re Slint: I heard them after getting into Mogwai and was, to say the least, struck by the similarities! "Influenced by" would be something of an understatement. Must dig out some Mogwai - maybe the Kubrick ep

kevin

< LKJ Tings an' Times
> Music of the Bengali Bauls (not the Nonesuch recording ;) )
>> Either Tibetan trumpet music or Burnin'
Probably both, though not at the same time, interesting as that would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back