advertisement

What are you listening to right now #3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slint, Tweez. I bought this record over 10 years ago and I don't think I've ever listened to it before, which turns out to be a stupid mistake because it's bloody brilliant. Strong Steve Albini/Band of Susans influence, guitarist is Dave Pajo (of Tortoise) but this is so much better than anything Tortoise have done. Will have to get their other record now as well.

-- Ian

Hi Rich,
it would seem so,

Had a bit of an 80's session (OMD/Human League/Depeche Mode etc) all on LP and all the originals I purchased back then - and yup some of them need a good clean as they are right crackly too!

andy c!

Still listening to the Gagaku album......................
Here, for everyones' delectation, are the English liner notes:

Gagaku is the oldest of Japan's performing arts, with a history of more than one thousand years. At present it signifies in its widest sense the whole body of music and dance performed by the musicians of the Kunaichō Gakubu (Music Department of the Imperial Household Agency, Tōkyō ).
It is classified in terms of of its origins into three categories: 1. accompanied vocal music and dance of indigenous origin employed in Imperial and Shinto religious ceremony; 2. instrumental music and dance deriving from the Asian mainland, imported during the fifth through ninth centuries; and 3. saibara and rōei, accompanied vocal music originating at the Japanese court of the ninth to twelfth centuries.
The second category is subdivided into two classes according to the region of its origin: tōgaku, music of Chinese origin, is performed both as dance with accompaniment (bugaku) and as instrumental music without dance (kangen); komagaku, music of Korean origin, is performed only as a dance (bugaku).
Tōgaku dance is referred to as Dance of the Left (samai or sahō-no-mai), while komagaku is referred to as Dance of the Right (umai or uhō-no-mai).
The instrumental ensemble is made up of winds, strings, and percussion instruments; stringed instruments are, in principle, not used in bugaku. A single bugaku dance may contain a mumber of movements, and there are cases in which a piece common to both kangen and bugaku does not have the same musical structure in each repertoire. This is especially true in regard to rhythmic types and performance tempos.

And from elsewhere on the interweb, a brief description of the instruments and system of Gagaku (slightly dubious source, will correct as necessary):

Instruments:
  • Percussion
  • Tsuridaiko (drum), dadaiko (large drum) - mark off longest time units
  • Shoko (gong) - further subdivides time with single beats
  • Kakko (horizontal double-headed drum) - regulates tempo of music
  • San-no-tsuzumi (hourglass drum) - used in komagaku
  • Shakubyoshi (wooden clappers) - used in mi-kagura (music of Japanese origin) and vocal music.

Strings
  • Wagon (6-string zither) - used in mi-kagura; set (?) patterns
  • Gakuso (13-string zither) - set patterns, marks time
  • Biwa (4-string plucked lute) - set arpeggiated patterns, marks time

Winds
  • Hichiriki (9-hole oboe) - main melody instrument
  • Flutes: melody with slight variations (heterophony)
  • Kagurabue (transverse flute used in mi-kagura)
  • Ryuteki (7-hole transverse flute) - for tōgaku, Music of the Left
  • Komabue (6-hole transverse flute) - for kōmagaku, Music of the Right
  • Sho (17-pipe mouth organ) - plays continuous chord clusters

Ensembles
  • Tōgaku Music of the Left
    Winds: hichiriki, ryuteki, sho
    Strings: gakusō, biwa
    Percussion: shōko, kakko, taiko
  • Kōmagaku Music of the Right
    Same as above except komabue replaces ryuteki, san-no-tsuzumi replaces kakko, strings are omitted
  • Saibara and rōei vocal ensembles
    Smaller ensembles, shakubyoshi (clappers) replace drums

Gagaku theory
  • Modal system
    12 pitches are the foundation for 7-note scales.
    two scale structures ryo and ritsu; six modes.
  • Rhythm types based on 8, 4, and 2 beats
    8 beats nobebyoshi, 4 beats hayabyoshi, 2 beats osebyoshi
    Mixed: 2+4 beats tadabyoshi; and 2+3 beats yatarabyoshi
  • Form: Jo-ha-kyu
    Applied in all froms of Japanese musical phrasing and compositional structure
    Jo - introduction in a slow or free rhythm
    Ha - breaking apart; exposition (establishment of rhythm)
    Kyu - rushing to a finish (acceleration to the climax, return to Jo
  • Jo-ha-kyu as applied in gagaku:
    Jo - free meter tuning piece netori, instruments enter one at a time.
    Ha - main body of the composition begins, all instruments enter.
    Kyu - gradual increase in tempo until coda, return to free meter.

Now on CD4.

And here's a flyer for a performance by the Tokyo Gakuso group (of genjōraku monogatari)

genjoraku_omote_chirashi-s-s030911_w800.jpg

Joel,

Can I trouble you for catalogue numbers for the Gagaku set please. I've been loving the JVC disc I picked up and now feel the need for more!

Thanks,

ss

Hi SS,
Here are some Gagaku albums:
Gagaku Court Music of Japan JVC World Sounds series VICG-60393 (Tokyo Gakuso, 1981)
Gagaku no sekai I Nippon Columbia COCF6194 / 5 (Tokyo Gakuso 1990)
Gagaku no sekai II Nippon Columbia COCF6196 / 7 (Tokyo Gakuso 1990)
Gyoyu King Records KICH169 (Tokyo Gakuso 2002)
Gyokei King Records KICH170 (Tokyo Gakuso 2002)

Also of interest:
GAGAKU AND BEYOND Celestial Harmonies 13179 (Tokyo Gakuso, 199? )
GAGAKU: GEMS FROM FOREIGN LANDS Celestial Harmonies 13217 (Tokyo Gakuso, 199? )
Japon: Gagaku Ocora C559018 (Ono no kai, 19??)
There are also six volumes of Japanese music in the Barenreiter Musicaphon UNESCO series. My guess is that at least one will be of gagaku.
Currently studying some lists of earlier recordings from the 50s and 60s.

Following the birth of our daughter Amelia on Wednesday,

Hejira by Joni Mitchell

and, to chill out

Endless Numbered Days: Iron and wine
Summer Sun: Yo La Tengo

Quiet music only for the time being.

Did finally see Jazz Britannia while on the late shift with Amelia - where should I start with Joe Herriot? What is available?

Kevin

Many congrats Kevin. Re. Joe Harriot, Free Form and Abstract are his two great albums. His Indo-Jazz Fusion records with John Mayer are worth hearing too.

Currently listening to Friday's Jazz on 3. Ken Vandermark Trio recorded at the Cheltenham festival ATM, excellent stuff.

-- Ian

Was: El-P- Fantastic Damage
Is: Aesop Rock- Fast Cars, Danger, Fire and Knives
Will Be: Cannibal Ox or Company Flow, dunno yet

Originally posted by kjb
Following the birth of our daughter Amelia on Wednesday,

Hejira by Joni Mitchell

and, to chill out

Endless Numbered Days: Iron and wine
Summer Sun: Yo La Tengo

Quiet music only for the time being.

Did finally see Jazz Britannia while on the late shift with Amelia - where should I start with Joe Herriot? What is available?

Kevin

Congratulations Kevin,
Following the birth of our daughter this last October I spent a mellow winter chilling out on quieter music. I was surprised at how well my ears adapted to the lower listening levels, I think I came to appreciate the music even more.

Was: The Jayhawks -- Sound of Lies
Is: Bill Evans Trio -- Explorations
Will be: Bottle Duty -- Midnight Cries

Crossed the river last night to catch tenor star Denys Baptiste and his quartet playing A Love Supreme tribute to John Coltrane at the Hull Truck theatre. As an introduction the first set took us through his early career from Miles to Giant Steps (the ballad Naima was outstanding) and beyond. Before the band played a complete Love Supreme in the second set Denys described it as the pinnacle of Trane's career. After last nights performance I would'nt argue with that. Faith restored.

Was: Toni Kofi Quartet - Plays Monk
Is: Masada (10) - Yod
Will be: Monk - The Columbia Years Disc 1

Stratus : Fear of magnetism

First play for this, it's quite hard to categorise, I think I like it but too early to know much more than that.

I guess if you like Skalpel, Lucky Pierre, Efterklang, Blockhead and that sort of thing, then this might appeal.

Two keepers from Rochdale car boot this morning:

Rinoceros - Rinoceros, a nice tidy 1968 UK 1st press for a quid! Total bargain and a great album to boot. Looks like it's staying (even though I've seen this one go through the roof on eBay).

Van Der Graff Generator - H To He Who Am The Only One, not a pink label, but can't complain too much for a quid.

Tony.

For the last few hours, lots of Ornette Coleman, in preparation for seeing him live in a couple of hours time.

-- Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back