advertisement

What are you listening to right now #3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Working from home today and the postman delivered my latest Amazon order this morning. Such happy coincedences :)

was: Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong - Ella & Louis sing Gershwin
is: Duke Ellington - Complete live at Newport
willl be: Ella & Louis - Ella & Louis

Steve.

What a co-inky-dink... I picked up Duke - Live at Newport and the complete Louis and Duke sessions last night. Currently enjoying the latter, looking forward to the former.

Spooky! Got a link to the Duke & Louis sessions one please? Based on the three discs I've just listened to I think that could be my next acquisition.

S.

This is the one that I picked up. It's Louis' band with Duke on piano, playing all Duke music.

I am actually a little unnerved at how good these guys were. I mean, I don't know what I expected, but the playing is just so fantastic. I have many of these songs done by other bands, and there are some great moments among them, but this is all so right. Shame on me for not having bought it long ago.

Thanks K - I'll pick it up in my next Amazon order.

Assuming you like the Gershwin kinda thing, I'd certainly recommend giving the Ella & Louis discs a go too.

So much music still to discover...

S.

By The Fruits You Shall Know The Roots - 3xLP of insane music that might be folk though probably isn't. Very good indeed, but you don't want to know that as they have all sold out.

Giant Sand - Center Of The Universe, 99p from the local Oxfam and worth every penny.

Tony.

Marin Marais -- La Reveuse et autres pieces de viole the perfect music to wash over you at 5 o'clock in the morning, as played by Sophie Watillon on my favourite jazz-classical label. That aching basse de viol, those yearning theorbes. Gets me every time...

Fleetwood Mac - G/H with Peter Green
Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left (Simply Vile release - LP)
Gomez - Bring it On

through ..

PC- iTtunes
Emu-0404
Patchmix DSP equalized to sound like a modern concert venue sound
Cafe Walter Audio
Philips HP890

Featuring meself on bass with an MM Stingray subbing for Mr. Buchholz

The Mother of Gagaku compilations:
World of Gagaku Vols I~IV on Nippon Columbia (aka DENON). THis is a four volume CD which is SLOWLY FUSING MY MIND, dudes.........
Now on CD Vol II. I hear voices, voices, voices......................
Once you get your head around it, this is the most beautiful and subtle of musics

Was: Echo And The Bunnymen - Crocodiles (I think listening to Tigermilk the other day got me in the mind of classic debut albums - and this is certainly one)

Is: Martin Stephenson & Duncan Kennedy - The Well Of Harmony. (An incredibly beautiful CD of guitar music, songs and poems with a book of guitar tabs. Everyone who loves acoustic guitar should own this)

Cheers

Rich

Coltrane, Complete Prestige Recordings, disc 9. Only 7 more to go...

It's obvious, but amazing, to consider that many of these recordings were made less than 10 years before Trane's death, yet they're still "early" records, and a long way from what he was doing even 4 years later. An astonishingly compressed development path, puts me in awe of where his music would have ended up if he hadn't died so young.

-- Ian

Is: Hawkwind - Hall Of The Mountain Grill (hmmm no inner sleeve - is it supposed to have one and if so is anyone selling a copy? Used to have this on cassette as a very young lad - brings back great memories)

Could be: More Hawkwind but I've onl;y got an LP called Anthology which doesn't look too inspiring. Might have to have a dabble on eBay for some of the other stuff.

Cheers

Rich

Following a thread on the Naim forum re Talk Talk Just going thru their 1st two LP's...

andy c!

Andy, I'm doinmg the same now with Spirit Of Eden! Trouble is my copy is very crackly - not good for those haunting, eerie bits. Will have to find a replacement.

Rich

LOL,
U need a Knosti Antistat or similar - v cheap and good vfm IMO.

Also Listened to Ry Cooder - Bop til u drop...

andy c!

Today has been...

Tortoise - Standards
Prefuse 73 - Surrounded By Silence
Madlib - Shades of Blue
Psapp - Tiger, My Friend
The Cure - Kiss Me
Blur - Think Tank
De La Soul - Stakes Is High

and now

Jel - Greenball II

Andy C have you borrowed my record collection? (Ry C is well popular round here).

After getting through one side of a too crackly Spirit Of Eden...

Now: Pere Ubu - 390 Degrees Of Simulated Stereo (****ing excellent! - Non alignment pact!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back