advertisement

What are you listening to right now #3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ray Charles - The Birth of Soul . 3CD boxed set that was delivered to me in error after an ebay auction, and sold to me at a bargain price rather than the seller paying for it to be returned to the US. Superb introduction to RC's early stuff.

S.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Dr Alimantado, Born For A Purpose. The first reggae musician I ever really got into, due entirely to John Lydon, in about 1978, namechecking him as one of his favourite musicians.

-- Ian

Was/Is/Will Be

Stereolab: Oscillons from the Anti Sun - 3 cds, some of which I have already, but all wonderful stuff + a dvd! I think the Lab might be the best British band of the last decade. Which is why they dominated the top 100 albums on C4 last weekend in the way they did! On full weekend rotation, only interrupted by

Anthony and the Johnsons: I am a Bird Now - I didn't expect to like this but think it is quite lovely.

Kevin

Today:
Kenny Dorham -- Matador
Count Basie -- Kansas City 7
Billie Holiday -- The Greatest Interpretations
Roy Haynes / Booker Ervin -- Cracklin' (actually the later iffy looking Fantasy reissue)
Ray Brown / Milt Jackson Orchestrated and arranged by Oliver Nelson and Jimmy Heath
Ray Brown with the all-star big band and guest soloist Cannonball Adderley A really cracking album, and this Nippon Columbia pressing is *stunning*
Gang of Four -- Entertainment OK, so it's not exactly jazz...

Now:
Barbara -- L'aigle noir the classic album from the late queen of melancholia featuring such up-tempo classics as le soleil noir, la solitude and le mal de vivre :)

Kevin

I was umming and ahhing about Oscillations...

You've made my mind up for me. There's been a few interesting retrospectives recently with this one, Low and YLT. Surely not a coincidence, although I can't think of a reason why so many?

It's because you've reached that advanced age when you've hit the demographic that record companies aim boxed sets at. Dribbling senility follows soon after ;-)

Evan Parker, With Birds. Parker's elegy to Steve Lacy, recorded with John Coxon and Ashley Wales, who between them create birdsong soundscapes for Parker to play soprano and tenor over the top of. Very nice, on the new Treader label, which looks promising:

http://www.treader.org/

-- Ian

Trio With Interludes. Same group (and label) as above, plus Mark Sanders on drums. Coxon and Wales (aka Spring Heel Jack) play improvised electronics while Parker and Sanders play free jazz. Works very well, better than Spring Heel Jack's big band free improv outings like Amassed. A small group seems to suit this music better. Parker does some really good call-and-response stuff with the electronics which makes me wish more free jazz musicians would play with electronic groups.

-- Ian

The Transfiguration of Blind Joe Death - John Fahey

White Light/White Heat - Velvet Underground

Elvis Presley Greatest Hits compilation thing.

|<< Trio Albeniz - Andalucia en lox musicos Espano les
|< Paco Pena - The art of Flamenco guitar
> Segovia & Tureck - JS Bach - Andres Segovia on side 1 and Rosalyn Tureck on side 2
|> Radio & bed

still spinin'

various compiled by slope - basscheck - crippled dick hot wax

funk mode - various - scenario

mcartney 2 - by paul mc. - lovin temporary sec. funky synths.

terry callier - love theme from spartacus (zero 7 mix)

jose gonsalez l.p. - lovely stuff.

burial mix 7" box set . deep modern spiritual dub music.

derek and clive - vommit cover ....oh my god !

alice russell - better than joss stone ? - probably ! - tru thoughts label.

go check it out.

bytes is great ,
have you perchance got mbuki mvuki the ultra rare plaid lp.
i was chilling with that on friday afternoon.wicked l.p.
i'm a big fan of plaid/black dog really nice stuff.

darryl

No, I don't have it. I'm having a bit of a rennaissance of bleepy electronica from the early/mid 90's, so things like Bytes, some early Aphex Twin, B12 etc are getting a lot of play at the moment.

Lovely stuff.

Interpol - Turn On The Bright Lights
Not sure about this one so far.

(I'm actually listening to Strange Magic: The Best Of ELO, but saying so in public violates the terms of the latest restraining order Jeff Lynne has issued against me, so officially, it's Interpol.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back