advertisement

What are you listening to right now #3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by alexgerrard
Kevin

I was umming and ahhing about Oscillations...

You've made my mind up for me. There's been a few interesting retrospectives recently with this one, Low and YLT. Surely not a coincidence, although I can't think of a reason why so many?

Oscillations is well worth getting,even if only to remind yourself what a great singles band Stereolab are. In a parallel universe this is celebrated as great pop music and played all day on the radio. Ping Pong, Florsesences, Cybiles Reverie, Wow and Flutter... great songs that light up my world. I like the way they make great pop from a different musical tradition - but they can also stretch out an enticing groove when needed. I've played it non stop all weekend. and today!

It is strange that so many cultish faves have boxes out. I also got the Nick Cave B sides collection which is pretty good - and bloody long! I guess a number of those bands almost have a career to look back on now, having hung on to their audience for long enough to merit a retrospective. And, as Ian said, their listeners are now old and wealthy enough to cough up for a bunch of songs they already own!

I haven't got the Low box: is it worth having?

Tonight's listening: more Stereolab then maybe some Tom Waits to wind it down. "Alice", I think.

Kevin

Lee Hazlewood/Trouble is a Lonesome Town
next might well be Serge Gainsbourg/Comic Strip.

Might well get the Stereolab thing - will have to see how much of it I don't have though. I shall put the nice orange and green vinyl "Switched on Vol ii" later.

J

Muhal Richard Abrams, Levels And Degrees of Light. The debut album as leader by AACM founder, with Anthony Braxton (in his first ever recording session), Thurman Barker, Leroy Jenkins et al, recorded in 1967. Despite starting with some truly awful and typically 60s poetry, "The Bird Song" rocks.

-- Ian

Hot Licks, Cold Steel & Truckers' Favorites - Commander Cody
20 Mothers - Julian Cope
Velvet Underground & Nico.

Last nights playlist

Nike Drake, Pink Moon
Troublemakers, Expressway
Lou Donaldson, Blue Break Beats
Beth Orton, Daybreaker
Black Sabbath, We sold our Soul for Rock and Roll

Steve Forbert - Jackrabbit Slim
Sounds like home.

Next up: John Mayall with Eric Clapton - Bluesbreakers
The original '66 release, remastered.

The Electric John Martyn - new purchase on vinyl & awesome...or is that just the vinyl.. and then my latest charity shop purchase, Bream & Williams live...because I've never really listeed to them before..

I just finished a nice Built To Spill marathon. They're pretty good at the whole wall of guitar noise thing.

Up next: possibly Sage Francis.

Scratch the Sage Francis. Black Dog Bytes is next thanks to Alex G.

I forgot that I have a mailbox for smaller items at work so it's probably been there for two weeks!

Go Owls!

Was : Chelsea v Liverpool.

Will be : the sound of Erik L apologising for all the abuse he's been giving me.

Kevin

"I haven't got the Low box: is it worth having?"

I think so, but I don't have everything they've done, and I don't rate their latest as being amongst their best.

Was : Depeche Mode Remixes album, whatever it was called.

Is : The The 'Dusk'. Well, I like it anyway.

Disc 2 (of 16) of Trane's complete Prestige recordings. I've dipped into these early Trane records over the years, listen to a few of them regularly, but I've never sat down and listened to the whole lot, so now I'm going to. Only about 15 hours to go...

-- Ian

Now playing:
Buckwheat Zydeco - Menagerie

Next up:
Kroumata Percussion Ensemble and Keiko Abe - Works by Nishimura, Miyoshi, Takemitsu, Matsushita, Miki

Originally posted by sideshowbob
Disc 2 (of 16) of Trane's complete Prestige recordings. I've dipped into these early Trane records over the years, listen to a few of them regularly, but I've never sat down and listened to the whole lot, so now I'm going to. Only about 15 hours to go...

-- Ian

Hardcore! Don't forget food and drink.

Belle And Sebastian - Tiger Milk. Lovely stuff that I picked up for a fiver in Mole Jazz (not the original obviously!).

Cheers

Rich

A couple of advance tracks from the imminent Sleater-Kinney lp “The Woods”. Heavier than I expected, but still recognisably S-K. In fact, it rocks.

Next up – a bit of the recent incarnation of The Go-Betweens to wind down with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back