advertisement

Way to go Greta

A graphical reminder of where we are and how quickly we got here.

E8tCN8X.jpg

The Medieval Warm Period might look counterintuitive, but it was not a global phenomenon. That period of warming was localized to the North Atlantic.

Joe

Just watched 2040. It was made to give hope without much mention of the consequences, but the pessimistic side of me thinks the greedy rich that control the media, and hence how people think and vote, will ruin any chance of hope.

Maybe not the most exciting movie but everyone should watch it. Certainly made me think...

An interesting view from a Swede.

Doesn't seem bigoted.

How much of what she said is a fact? I heard lots of opinions but no hard facts. Think I'll listen to qualified scientists or economists rather than some random person that wants to blame everything on immigrants.

@guest did you hear about the Greta Thunberg Helpline for angry 'middle aged men'?

https://www.indy100.com/article/greta-thunberg-helpline-adults-men-angry-watch-video-9121561

No, did you find it helped you? Well done.
How much of what she said is a fact? I heard lots of opinions but no hard facts. Think I'll listen to qualified scientists or economists rather than some random person that wants to blame everything on immigrants.

Of course it's opinion, like everything here. It's also counter point, and that upsets some, like Tuga above. But he is getting help, so that's great for him.

I am in Sweden a few times each year and have been travelling there since the 90s, so have seen many changes. Generally a thoughtful and quiet nation,. They are becoming more outspojen. Of course they experienced the most recent assassination of a pm when Olaf palm was killed. They know tolerance and that is changing.

Nice interview this morning on Radio 4:

Myles Allen on understanding climate change
The Life Scientific

Professor Myles Allen has spent thirty years studying global climate change, trying to working out what we can and can't predict. He was one of the first scientists to quantify the extent to which human actions are responsible for global warming. As a lead author on the 3rd Assessment by the International Panel on Climate Change in 2001, he concluded that ‘most of the observed global warming was due to human influence’. More recently, (having established that calculating a safe concentration of greenhouse gases was very difficult indeed), he worked out instead how many tonnes of carbon would be acceptable, a shift in emphasis that paved the way for the current Net Zero carbon emissions policy. Myles tells Jim Al-Khalili how our ability to predict climate change has evolved from the early days when scientists had to rely on the combined computing power of hundreds of thousands of personal computers. He sheds light on how the IPCC works and explains why, he believes, fossil fuel industries must be forced to take back the carbon dioxide that they emit. If carbon capture and storage technologies makes their products more expensive, so be it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000fgcn

Thunberg is visiting my home town of Bristol tomorrow to address a green rally. 25000 predicted Our kids been given day off but now police are recommending kids not to go, because of fears of crushing etc.

Not sure what the agenda is, although Bristol is declared UKs greenest city (not sure what exact metrics are) so she may be preaching to the converted.

Her private charter jet will do a fly pass above the Clifton suspension bridge later in the day. *

*ok I made that up

How dare you! Lol
not sure why you found that worth posting. the young woman rambles all over the place and, other than "left is bad", there is no logical coherence.

Agree there is no more or less logical coherence than "you have stolen my childhood". That was the point.

Young folk need their voices to be heard, however you may interpret them. Whether you or I agree, or if it suits one's own dogma, is moot. If we want young uns to speak out we have to hear their views, agreeable or not.

Or we just end up teaching them our own selectively bias.

Greta Thunberg joins thousands at youth climate strike in Bristol – watch live

Greta on stage @ 0:51 minutes...

so today Extinction rebellion will be out trying to spread their message , heres from their page

Join our first No Going Back action this Thursday. Close down the biggest polluters, hang up posters over the doors of the most polluting businesses to make clear that they cannot reopen for business as usual, if we want to rebuild a better world.

https://rebellion.earth/2020/04/29/uk-newsletter-14-no-going-back/

not very helpful to business`s already reeling !!!

Starting **Thursday, 30th April**, we make clear that we will not tolerate any return to a system that was needlessly destroying the planet and failing to recognise the value of all.

We will begin by flyposting a clear message to the Government on the doors of the most environmentally ruinous and exploitative industries in our society. A full Action Guide is available here:

In this moment of darkness, we need to bring attention to the glowing future we could have before us.

https://www.facebook.com/events/158688438791990/

Indeed, perhaps Greta would also like to spread the word on how the workers of these companies will pay for there food, homes and Children...

I’m not being bitter towards climate change, but for a movement that is trying to save the planet there vision is very short sighted

---given the reduction in emissions due to short term changes in travel and transportation, a huge positive in this crisis, one of the biggest , if not the single largest polluter in the country is now probably the NHS, due to all the additional medical waste PPE going in landfill, allied to a relaxation of incineration and landfill regs by HMRC and the Environment agency plus local authorities. Estimated 6x increase in hazardous waste.

This is happening.
https://resource.co/article/ea-relaxes-rules-incinerating-covid-19-clinical-waste

And here is how medical waste is classified and dealt with. Not often very eco, but necessary.

https://www.forgerecycling.co.uk/blog/coronavirus-what-happens-to-medical-waste/

Elsewhere on the planet, Forbes are suggesting that the public are not helping through discarding of PPE as litter at roadsides, parks, in general domestic waste etc. And of more concern that the plastics industry is also taking advantage of relaxation and fear to increase production and use of single use plastic bags to swell their coffers.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurat...ste-during-the-time-of-covid-19/#799becf47e48

Yikes, a storm brewing.

How dare they? They dare. Greta and the extinction folk, will need to tread very carefully, or start to come forward with some real solutions to support the rants.

Not doubt the PFM CV19 Mediocre Mafia will be along soon to suggest that its all part of BJ and Co ongoing mission to sell everything off for him and his mates.;)

advertisement

Back