advertisement

Way to go Greta

Muh like 4 Greta moar bruh. Meanwhile,

ENWFIFgXUAAtzJy.jpg

I doubt a more prophetic picture could have been taken of this disaster: Trying to escape climate change with no place to go.

Joe

Chris Dickman, an ecologist at the University of Sydney, estimates that at least half a billion animals were killed in the New South Wales fires since September 2019.

Estimates of density were obtained from published studies of mammals in NSW and from studies carried out in other parts of Australia in similar habitats to those present in NSW.

The authors deliberately employed highly conservative estimates in making their calculations. The true mortality is likely to be substantially higher than those estimated.

Using that formula, co-author of the original report Professor Chris Dickman estimates that 480 million animals have been affected since the bushfires in NSW started in September 2019. This figure only relates to the state of NSW. Many of the affected animals are likely to have been killed directly by the fires, with others succumbing later due to the depletion of food and shelter resources and predation from introduced feral cats and red foxes.

The figure includes mammals, birds and reptiles and does not include insects, bats or frogs. The true loss of animal life is likely to be much higher than 480 million. NSW’s wildlife is seriously threatened and under increasing pressure from a range of threats, including land clearing, exotic pests and climate change.

https://sydney.edu.au/news-opinion/...0-million-animals-killed-in-nsw-bushfire.html

This is what climate change and extinction look like.

Joe

Good Evening All,

I am starting to get very concerned that there does't seem to be any prospect of what I would call a 'trigger' event which will really kick start the PTB to take climate change seriously.

If the current events in SE Australia don't do it then I'm struggling to see what will.

As somebody who has done far more then their fair bit to reduce their families impact on the planet at some not inconsiderable personal expense I despair of the rest of the human race including some people posting on this forum.

Regards

Richard

Richard,

If the current events in SE Australia don't do it then I'm struggling to see what will.

Indeed. Melting of Arctic Sea Ice has been an issue for decades, and the record melt in Greenland this past year certainly made the headlines...

Figure-3.png

...but now climate change is affecting white people in the industrialized world.

If that doesn't make white people in the industrialized world take notice, what will?

Joe

The animal death toll has been raised up to over 1 million. And that apparently doesn't include a lot of species - bats etc.

guest,

It sure is. Nature is resilient and it does bounce back, but the difference now is that the environmental onslaught is multifaceted, continuous and worsening.

Even such planetary-level devastations as asteroid collisions have the decency to FO for hundreds of millions of years between events.

Joe

Once we humans have made ourselves extinct, I hope that the next dominant species on the planet actually is intelligent.

advertisement

Back