advertisement

Way to go Greta

The fires have been on UK television news broadcasts virtually every day for the past few weeks and the story is in the newspapers.

I occasionally read this thread, but get the impression you don't like Greta Thunberg and the way she travels. Is this because she is 16, a girl and a Swede, or perhaps all three?

Jack

Well then your impression is insane. Beyond that, what do the fires have directly to do with Greta Thunberg? This isn't a Brexit thread; maybe put the shite cannon down.

Well then your impression is insane. Beyond that, what do the fires have directly to do with Greta Thunberg? This isn't a Brexit thread; maybe put the shite cannon down.

No. You appear to like having a go her either directly or indirectly. I think that is sad given what she has achieved.

Jack

No. You appear to like having a go her either directly or indirectly. I think that is sad given what she has achieved.

Jack

I'll play along with the typical OT picayune posturing, even if it is as boring as drying paint. I like fresh paint.

Cite an example of where I "have a go at her." Not where I point out that people vicariously virtue-signal through her actions or play at patriarchal protection from imagined evil-doers, or pretend that by wearing the badge of Greta Thunberg they've actually done something that helps them imagine they're going to prevent what's coming, but where I insult her, directly or indirectly, since that's what I take you mean by having a go at her. You're just silly to bring the Brexit spin the bottle insult crap over to a thread about human extinction. Just absolutely silly. All the links to climate news I've posted in this thread, and in the long-dead climate thread, and you saunter in to have a go with the tired tripe of Greta Bashing when no one has done that. This is why you have Brexit and we have Trump. This level of insight.

I doubt it. I recall when I was in my early teens the civil war in Nigeria resulted in millions of deaths through fighting and then famine resulting from a government blockade, but all at that time attention was focused on Vietnam.

Maybe I've always been a news addict but I remember that well; there were some big charity fund raisers for the victims.

I later shared a flat with one of the participants which was rather illuminating.

Over the years — more than a decade, really — I've been starting and contributing to threads on climate change, this Greta one being the most recent of many.

Even though I firmly believed the many lines of evidence were reliable and that the models behind the predictions were accurate and robust, it felt I was perhaps overstating the urgency a bit. Yes, climate change is a bad situation and it'll get worse over my lifetime, but it's likely not quite as bad as I've suggested.

I no longer believe that.

It's actually worse than I feared. What's worse, it's actually worse than a lot of scientists feared.

Individual action is great and to be commended, but we really need a global response — nations working together as if our very lives depended on the outcome.

Joe

I remember climate change being taught as part of our O Level physics course; 200 year old science now so I fail to understand why so many feel it can be ignored.

What wasn't grasped 50 years ago was the sheer scale of our CO2 production and how the feedbacks and extra solar gain would pan out in a complex world; bear in mind that
the computer we had filled a large room and had les processing power than a simple scientific calculator.

It was clear from the first IPCC meeting that no politician understood the seriousness of the issue as they wrangled to make the scientific community water down every prediction.

I never recall seeing a credible prediction that (imo) overestimated the scale of the problem. People might dis Greta but anything to engage another slice of humanity has to be good.

Not many of our potential leaders even came close to grasping the nettle last month.

dweezil,

It's worse than politicians not coming to terms with climate change. Far too many of them are doing their best to fight any measure to help lower greenhouse gas emissons. The Premier (click at own risk) in my province has made it law that fuel pumps throughout Ontario display these stickers.

carbon-tax-sticker-ontario-gas-stations.jpg

It's illegal for a gas (petrol) station owner to not display the stickers and it's illegal to remove them once they have been affixed to a pump. (Hmmmmm, I wonder if it's illegal to write "increasing average global temperature" on the white bars.)

It's also a first. The Government of Ontario is using taxpayer's money — my money! — to try to get people to baulk at the federal carbon tax.

Trudeau is a mixed bag on climate change. He brought in the carbon tax, but he's also in favour of expanding operations in the environmentally destructive tar sands. As for Boris, Trump and the idiot leaders of Brazil and Australia ...

Joe

It's worse than politicians not coming to terms with climate change. Far too many of them are doing their best to fight any measure to help lower greenhouse gas emissons. The Premier (click at own risk) in my province has made it law that fuel pumps throughout Ontario display these stickers.

That really is horrendous, I don’t understand how it is law? You clearly need some Extinction Rebellion types with spray cans to fix it.

I'll play along with the typical OT picayune posturing, even if it is as boring as drying paint. I like fresh paint.

Cite an example of where I "have a go at her." Not where I point out that people vicariously virtue-signal through her actions or play at patriarchal protection from imagined evil-doers, or pretend that by wearing the badge of Greta Thunberg they've actually done something that helps them imagine they're going to prevent what's coming, but where I insult her, directly or indirectly, since that's what I take you mean by having a go at her. You're just silly to bring the Brexit spin the bottle insult crap over to a thread about human extinction. Just absolutely silly. All the links to climate news I've posted in this thread, and in the long-dead climate thread, and you saunter in to have a go with the tired tripe of Greta Bashing when no one has done that. This is why you have Brexit and we have Trump. This level of insight.

You quite often have a pop at Thunberg and the people supporting or around her. Looking back, I've posted a number of times on this thread, but decided to minimize my involvement when old codgers started whining about Greta, who they think is stupid and needs professional mental help.

Rcook spluttered: "Why on earth (no pun intended) is anyone taking this ill-informed, unqualified young lady even slightly seriously? Especially world leaders who, frankly, should know far better. Her position/argument is completely emotional, no facts in it at all. There is no 'climate crisis' or 'global warming'."

Raga, pfm's would-be psychotherapist/doctor/social worker/Corbynite faith healer and champion of austerity-hit Brexiteers, claimed Greta is mentally delicate and needs looking after. And then some intellectual giant called fur said she is "a smug little bitch."

Here is one example of your climate change wisdom Mr Mark. After reading an article in RealClear Politics, which quotes Thunberg, you wrote:

"Can someone tell me what she means? She says she wants to do "everything in my power to stop this crisis from happening, to prevent it." Can someone, anyone, tell me what it is that's going to prevent this from happening?

"She goes on to say "And, of course, there's a lot of things you can do in your everyday life, but we cannot be focusing on these individual things you can do. We have to see the full picture."

"I think I see a fairly full picture. But let's say I see whatever it is she considers the fullest of pictures. What then? I need some help because all I'm seeing in this is Foo."

Enjoy the Foo.

Greta Thunberg has inspired millions of children and adults around the world to mobilize and take part in climate change protests.

Those working against them include dangerous c^^^ Trump, idiots like Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison and other national leaders, plus the corporations that make money out of fossil fuels and underwrite political parties.

In short, f^^^ them.

Jack

Over the years — more than a decade, really — I've been starting and contributing to threads on climate change, this Greta one being the most recent of many.

Even though I firmly believed the evidence and models behind the predictions were strong and robust, it felt I was perhaps overstating the urgency a bit. Yes, climate change is a bad situation and it'll get worse over my lifetime, but it's likely not quite as bad as I've suggested.

I no longer believe that.

It's actually worse than I feared. What's worse, it's actually worse than a lot of scientists feared.

Individual action is great and to be commended, but we really need a global response — nations working together as if our very lives depended on the outcome.

Joe
Not to mention the continued existence of whole plant and animal species :(

That's what pains me the most. The endangering and destruction of innocent parties we share the world with, and who depend on each other. Industrial civilization has been a plague on the earth.

Durmbo,

I know. It’s tragic. If the animals didn’t die in the fires, they’ll die shortly afterward of starvation, as their habitat has been singed to the ground.

Joe

Literally scorched earth in Australia

Hopefully idiot PM will resign from shame and publicly acknowledge he is utterly wrong

advertisement

Back