advertisement

War declared, Israel v Palestine...

Possibly being overcautious but I'm not sure about that site. No byline on the story and no 'about us' page on the site - it seems to be largely anonymous. The nearest I could find is a list of columnists, most of whom are Turkish.

You absolutely are being over cautious Paul.
This is also being covered by Haaretz. See post #2699.

Simply that I can see how some Palestinians may choose to resist. Especially if they feel they have nothing to lose.
I get the felling that many Palestinians don’t so much feel they have nothing to lose by fighting back, but that they have no other choice.

This article proves Netanyahu propped up Hamas:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/for-years-netanyahu-propped-up-hamas-now-its-blown-up-in-our-faces/

Netanyahu wanted to prevent a unified Palestinian state, and a two state solution.

A quote from The Times of Israel...

According to various reports, Netanyahu made a similar point at a Likud faction meeting in early 2019, when he was quoted as saying that those who oppose a Palestinian state should support the transfer of funds to Gaza, because maintaining the separation between the Palestinian Authority in the West Bank and Hamas in Gaza would prevent the establishment of a Palestinian state.

Netanyahu is such a POS.
Very interesting, and disturbing article! Thanks for posting.

A Hamas spokesman was quoted today as saying “We call on every honourable soldier and fighter in this nation to seize the opportunity and participate in this battle.”

This is something I've been thinking about for a while. Lots of us have decided to separate Evil Hamas (boo!) from Innocent Palestinian Civilians (yay!) but I wonder if that's going to become a bit of a simplistic reading.

I'm a devout pacifist. But if my home had been destroyed, many of my loved ones killed, and an army was launching an invasion of my homeland... would I remain passive? Or would I pick up a gun?

I'm not suggesting for a second that 'all Palestinians are Hamas'. Simply that I can see how some Palestinians may choose to resist. Especially if they feel they have nothing to lose.

This is nothing new: it is how Hamas evolved from social work to setting up a military wing in 1989.
The current leader of that military wing has seen his wife, 3 year old daughter and infant son murdered by Israel in 2014.

This is quite outrageous. But whether it’s a Tory board who run a football club, or a Tory Home Secretary, these desperate gestures demonstrate they are tremendously weak, running scared, and have lost the argument.

Gaza is a human disgrace the Israelis are so deep now I can’t see any way out. The settlers are using it to kick Palestinians off their lands in the West Bank and when the north of Gaza is cleared what will they do with the south? Probably the same as the North. We have to accept it is a genocide and we are watching it unfold.
Listening to the news this morning I notice the UN tone has changed to one of powerless resignation.

That is France not USA.
Americans can never agree on the meaning of their Constitution and where it is neutral or secular, but the minimum interpretation is giving equal weight to all religions.

“Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof”

Meanwhile Starmer - a humans rights lawyer - still refuses to say whether he thinks Israel has broken international law saying he "thinks it's unwise" for politicians to comment.
That's because he's proving himself to be a spineless little **** who cares more about power than any shred of human decency. It pains me to say this but I think Boris would have been more vocal than Starmer or Sunak.

This article proves Netanyahu propped up Hamas:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/for-years-netanyahu-propped-up-hamas-now-its-blown-up-in-our-faces/

Netanyahu wanted to prevent a unified Palestinian state, and a two state solution.

A quote from The Times of Israel...

According to various reports, Netanyahu made a similar point at a Likud faction meeting in early 2019, when he was quoted as saying that those who oppose a Palestinian state should support the transfer of funds to Gaza, because maintaining the separation between the Palestinian Authority in the West Bank and Hamas in Gaza would prevent the establishment of a Palestinian state.

Netanyahu is such a POS.
Haaretz also have many articles on the links between Netanyahu and Hamas going back years.

Just for those without access to Twitter I’ll post two key paragraphs of UN Human Rights Director Craig Mokhiber’s resignation letter in plain text here:

As a human rights lawyer with more than three decades of experience in the field, I know well that the concept of genocide has been subject to political abuse. But the current wholesale slaughter of the Palestinian people, rooted in ethno-nationalist settler colonial ideology, in continuation of decades of their systematic persecution and purging based entirely upon their status as Arabs, and coupled with explicit statements of intent by leaders in the Israeli government and military, leaves no room for doubt or debate. In Gaza, civilian homes, schools, churches, mosques, and medical institutions are wantonly attacked as thousands of civilians are massacred. In the West Bank, including occupied Jerusalem, homes are seized and reassigned based entirely on race, and violent settler pogroms are accompanied by Israeli military units. Across the land, Apartheid rules.

This is a textbook case of genocide. The European, ethno-nationalist, settler colonial project in Palestine has entered its final phase, toward the expedited destruction of the last remnants of indigenous Palestinian life in Palestine. What's more, the governments of the United States, the United Kingdom, and much of Europe are entirely complicit in the horrific assault, providing economic and intelligence support, and giving political and diplomatic cover for Israel's activities.

Citation as before (Twitter).

Meanwhile Starmer - a humans rights lawyer - still refuses to say whether he thinks Israel has broken international law saying he "thinks it's unwise" for politicians to comment.

In fairness Starmer has cashed a £5m cheque from an Israeli lobbyist (see #2667 upthread).

PS I’ve had to retype a few sentences of the above resignation letter quote as Apple’s text from image reader is really struggling with parts of it, but I think I’ve got it about right now. Still obviously far better to use Twitter and see the source material.

Here’s UN Director Of Human Rights Craig Mokhiber’s resignation letter to the UN. It is absolutely essential reading.

It's a disturbing letter -- thanks for making me aware of it.
In fairness Starmer has cashed a £5m cheque from an Israeli lobbyist (see #2667 upthread).

And thanks for making me aware of this too. I think the more concrete detail we have about that sort of thing, the more lucidly we'll be ablt to understand what is going on in Europe and America concerning this war. Without that sort of detail it all appears (to me) inexplicable.

advertisement

Back