advertisement

War declared, Israel v Palestine...

This has been on the cards since nine months ago...

This article is more than 9 months old

Fears of full-blown Israeli-Palestinian conflict grow after bloodiest year since 2005​

Surge in violence either side of the ‘green line’ has led people to wonder if a third intifada is on the cards

Iranian weapons manufacturing is in overdrive for Russia at the moment so it makes sense they will be supplying some of that to Hamas.

Plus the bruising Russia are getting in Ukraine from a "weaker" force will have geed them up a bit.

Unfortunately Israel will now just bomb the crap out of Palestine and kill more civilians than soldiers.

Iranian weapons manufacturing is in overdrive for Russia at the moment so it makes sense they will be supplying some of that to Hamas.

Plus the bruising Russia are getting in Ukraine from a "weaker" force will have geed them up a bit.

Unfortunately Israel will now just bomb the crap out of Palestine and kill more civilians than soldiers.
Israel has been killing Palestinian civilians for years anyway:

I make it over 200 in this year alone.

It's barely reported so no-one gives a shit.

That’s an awful lot of rockets. Are they made locally? Otherwise, there must be some seriously big tunnels into Egypt

One result will be that given the extreme cruelty and scale of the Hamas attack, the IDF will be less careful than usual in avoiding civilian casualties. So Hamas, and its gullible supporters around the world, will be able to say "Look, 200 Arabs killed and only 100 Israelis killed." Which is exactly what Hamas wants, given their low esteem for human life and suffering.

A horrible situation. The Israeli government will never be anything other than an illegal far-right occupier and brutal oppressor. Hamas will never be anything other than an extremist Islamist terrorist group. No winners here. My sympathy is with those who are neither caught up in the middle of it.

So Hamas, and its gullible supporters around the world, will be able to say "Look, 200 Arabs killed and only 100 Israelis killed." Which is exactly what Hamas wants, given their low esteem for human life and suffering.

Do you mean the people with common sense who say that occupying and stealing other people's land is wrong?

The deflection is strong in you it is.

Hamas will never be anything other than an extremist Islamist terrorist group.

Yep but sometimes you have to use the resources that are available and disregard/eject once your objective is achieved.

It gets on my boobies that the UN have not yet sent a peacekeeping force into Palestine to protect those being murdered, land stolen and culture destroyed.

Yep but sometimes you have to use the resources that are available and disregard/eject once your objective is achieved.

I just can’t endorse any religious extremist organisation that has murdered people just for being LGBTQ+. I stand firmly against the Israeli occupation of Palestine, but screw Hamas. They are the answer to nothing.

It gets on my boobies that the UN have not yet sent a peacekeeping force into Palestine to protect those being murdered, land stolen and culture destroyed.

Agree entirely. The way the west as a whole has backed the far-right extremism of Israel is inexcusable. Netanyahu is just another Putin or whatever. A monster. The Israeli occupation of Palestine is illegal. It is nowhere even remotely near its legal borders and the international community should clearly have acted decades ago.

I just can’t endorse any religious extremist organisation that has murdered people just for being LGBTQ+.

That's just virtue signalling.

Sometimes (and it's unfortunate) you just have to accept nasty things to achieve your goal. There is zero support or protection for those being persecuted and murdered in Palestine so how would you (in the real world) provide a solution?

The BBC is not blind or complicit, I've seen pretty good reporting from their international stories and BBC World news (try watching it outside the UK) is fairly balanced.

That's just virtue signalling.

Sometimes (and it's unfortunate) you just have to accept nasty things to achieve your goal. There is zero support or protection for those being persecuted and murdered in Palestine so how would you (in the real world) provide a solution?

I don’t agree, I’m certainly not buying the ‘enemy of my enemy is my friend’ thing. Monsters can always be assessed on their own merits. I can’t even endorse the UK Labour party FFS as they are far too socially conservative and authoritarian for me. Do you honestly see me supporting Hamas?!

A horrible situation. The Israeli government will never be anything other than an illegal far-right occupier and brutal oppressor. Hamas will never be anything other than an extremist Islamist terrorist group. No winners here. My sympathy is with those who are neither caught up in the middle of it.

That's pretty much my take on it too. The Palestinian people are subject to horrendous oppression and Israel's government is a disaster. But I also can't bring myself to condone the mass killing of civilians.

I have no idea what the solution is, I just mourn the hundreds of dead today and the likely thousands of innocent people who will lose their lives in the coming months.

advertisement

Back