advertisement

Van Damme speaker cable

Just out of curiosity, has anyone compared the Blue series (http://www.van-damme.com/23.html) to the "UP-LCOFC Hi-Fi" one (http://www.van-damme.com/25.html)?

The link to the newish HiFi one doesn't work at this end but I suspect it is the one in the clear jacket.

I compared it in 4mm core form to my Tour Grade Black 2.5mm core.

Not a lot in it but I felt introducing the HiFi one lost something from the system, re instating the Tour Grade Black everything was back on song, or how I like it.

This is clearly my view and not backed up with a plethora of measurements, graphs and blind tests, I tend to use my ears.

I suspect there is even less between the black and the blue, I think the black has a slightly thicker strand, it really is a very good cable and a bargain to boot.

The link to the newish HiFi one doesn't work at this end but I suspect it is the one in the clear jacket.

I compared it in 4mm core form to my Tour Grade Black 2.5mm core.

Not a lot in it but I felt introducing the HiFi one lost something from the system, re instating the Tour Grade Black everything was back on song, or how I like it.

This is clearly my view and not backed up with a plethora of measurements, graphs and blind tests, I tend to use my ears.

I suspect there is even less between the black and the blue, I think the black has a slightly thicker strand, it really is a very good cable and a bargain to boot.
Thanks, some people have found quite the opposite, http://www.whathifi.com/forum/accessories/van-damme-cables , but I guess that's just how it works with cables.

Thanks, some people have found quite the opposite, http://www.whathifi.com/forum/accessories/van-damme-cables , but I guess that's just how it works with cables.

I use the 2.5mm Studio Blue and like the fact that it is double-jacketed and that the jacket is totally impervious to UV light. Any 'consumer hifi' type loudspeaker I used in the past that had a clear jacket (e.g. Gale XL-315) inevitably ended up visually degraded after a few months exposure to UV light (and I'm not talking about direct sunlight here as my room was north facing!). Probably didn't make a jot of difference to the performance but seeing the colour of the copper through the jacket change from a vibrant pinkish orange when new to a dull rusty brown over the course of a year certainly didn't do any favours for my OCD tendencies! :rolleyes:

I've been using the Van Damme Tour Grade black for quite a while and really like it.

I've used various cables over the years, A5, Chord Odyssey, Tellurium Black, Nordost White Lightning.

The Van Damme just seems to sound right, very good price; I haven't though about speaker cables for a long time.

Hi Mark, thanks for the heads up and the sale. Looks dead neat now so not really bothered about crawling under the floor. As you say just sounds right. Ta.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone compared the Blue series (http://www.van-damme.com/23.html) to the "UP-LCOFC Hi-Fi" one (http://www.van-damme.com/25.html)?

I have both the Blue Series and "Hi fi" series in the 4mm versions, and found they were close to, if not actually, identical. I ended up using the 4mm "hi fi" version, and then replacing it with the 6mm "hi fi" version which sounded marginally "bigger" and had a little more bass, but was otherwise identical. However, I could have easily kept using the Studio Blue cable.

Hi Mark, thanks for the heads up and the sale. Looks dead neat now so not really bothered about crawling under the floor. As you say just sounds right. Ta.

Glad you like it, I'm using the same, just shorter runs: I rate it very highly, just as you say and I said.

I have both the Blue Series and "Hi fi" series in the 4mm versions, and found they were close to, if not actually, identical. I ended up using the 4mm "hi fi" version, and then replacing it with the 6mm "hi fi" version which sounded marginally "bigger" and had a little more bass, but was otherwise identical. However, I could have easily kept using the Studio Blue cable.

As I mentioned in another thread I'm using the 6mm hifi Van Damme cable and am really happy with it. I was previously using the 4mm blue but needed longer runs after a house move. I have been using this cable for almost nine years and have upgraded my speakers once in that time but haven't felt the need to change the cable.

Has anyone bothered to compare these Van Damme's to Mogami 2972? (Don't worry, I can't be bothered to).

FWIW, I'm using 3M runs of VD 'Concert Grade' (precursor to the Tour Grade?) with my NAP140 - 'sounds' great, and no problems with stability.

John.

Is anyone using VD Blue with older Naim amps?

The electrical characteristics of V-D Blue and Black Series make them less than ideal for use with older Naim amps that rely on loudspeaker cable to substitute for a Zobel network. :rolleyes:

However Van-Damme's UP-LCOFC has just the right combination of negligible capacitance and moderate inductance - indeed, it's near identical to NACA in that respect and shedloads cheaper. I've sold quite a few metres to Naim owners and never had a return, so I guess something is going horribly right. ;)

Cheers, Paul.

I used the Tour Grade Black on a CB 250 that was in the system for two or three weeks without a hint of trouble, they were 8M runs. The 250 was on 24/7 as is the Naim way.

If in doubt I would always suggest a chat with Naim directly, I have always found them very helpful and a delight to deal with.

Purité North;2340493 said:
However Van-Damme's UP-LCOFC has just the right combination of negligible capacitance and moderate inductance - indeed, it's near identical to NACA in that respect and shedloads cheaper. I've sold quite a few metres to Naim owners and never had a return, so I guess something is going horribly right. ;)

Does it have the required stiffness? :)

Well if NACA4 was outdoor lighting cable, chances are NACA5 is Van Damme or very similar.

I have just changed my NACA4 to 4mm Van Damme Blue between my Nait 2 and IBL's and have noticed an improvement already with only a few hours use.
Mark Grant Cables were also an excellent company to deal with.

advertisement

Back