advertisement

Van Damme speaker cable

I've never tried the VD stuff for speaker cables, only for interconnects, excellent quality. I use Mogami W3082 these days for speaker cable and I find it sounds pretty neutral; and it's cheap.

If they use VD in studios then it must be up to the job? I mean, if it's good enough to carry the original recording signal then it must be good enough to carry a reproduction of that signal, right?

The Hi-Fi speaker cable malarky is very confusing to me. But from what I gather from the discussion a 4mm core is good enough? 6mm would make no difference?

Also I like the fact the cable is called Van Damme - his movies are cheap 'n' cheerful too!

They should make a Sylvester Stallone cable - the CableHanger series... (in best Rocky voice) "Audioooo...!"

I feel a bit ill today.

I finally managed to get the order shipped by VDC. After an email to their sales department things speeded up. Friendly people, but perhaps not the best organised. Just got word the order is processed today. I'll post some impressions when it has arrived.

I finally managed to get the order shipped by VDC. After an email to their sales department things speeded up. Friendly people, but perhaps not the best organised. Just got word the order is processed today. I'll post some impressions when it has arrived.

Any thoughts about this cable yet? I'm off to Maplins today to get a few bits for a friends system and thought I might try someing else, rather that my NACa5 into the IBL's.

To my ears now that all the Naim has gone from my system (apart from the IBL's) the NACa5 is sounding a bit scooped in it's sound?

I have some experience with Van Damme. As I swapped my NAP 180 for an Avondaled NAP250 I thought I could safely use something else then NACA5. Since I have PMC speakers, wired with Van Damme cable, this looked like a promising move.
Alas the Van Damme was a bit of a disappointment. The sound is quite different from the NACA5. Even after several days of use it didn't work out. The bass lacks slam in my system, treble is a bit sweeter, but there is definitely something "gone" in the upper midband. The sparkle and life from the Naim cable was replaced by a more calm and relaxed sound which I definitely want to avoid.
Trying bi-wiring (yes, I know) with identical lenghts of Van Damme and NACA5 didn't work out at all. Bass was better with NACA5 "below", treble was better with NACA5 "on top"

Just got back from Maplins but without any cable. They had loads from bell wire up to quite thick OF copper stuff. Nothing was badged as Van Damme. The OF copper stuff looked pretty decent. There was some at about £3.50 pm that looked OK.

Thought I would wait till I was sure that it was any good first.

Is it any good?

I have some experience with Van Damme. As I swapped my NAP 180 for an Avondaled NAP250 I thought I could safely use something else then NACA5. Since I have PMC speakers, wired with Van Damme cable, this looked like a promising move.
Alas the Van Damme was a bit of a disappointment. The sound is quite different from the NACA5. Even after several days of use it didn't work out. The bass lacks slam in my system, treble is a bit sweeter, but there is definitely something "gone" in the upper midband. The sparkle and life from the Naim cable was replaced by a more calm and relaxed sound which I definitely want to avoid.
Trying bi-wiring (yes, I know) with identical lenghts of Van Damme and NACA5 didn't work out at all. Bass was better with NACA5 "below", treble was better with NACA5 "on top"

Our posts crossed at the same time. Thanks for the heads up, or is that heads down in this case!

Maybe I should stick with the devil I know. I just wanted a touch more mid depth and more of a neutral presentation. The NACa5 does give a lot of music though, so that is a big plus.

A few of us bought the Belkin PureAv stuff of ebay-really well made/terminated for about £12 for 5m pr but seems to have gone.

A few of us bought the Belkin PureAv stuff of ebay-really well made/terminated for about £12 for 5m pr but seems to have gone.

Thanks. I just checked ebay and found

BELKIN PURE AV SILVER SERIES 16AWG SPEAKER CABLE - 30FT

Is this the same stuff? About 9 quid for 30ft.

Anyone fancy buying some cable from VDC?

I am happy to front the money up to £100 ish and then distribute upon payment - a sort of mini group buy on the van damme blue studio grade to bump it up to the minimum spend of £60...

I need 12 meters of something half decent. Is the blue studio grade the stuff to have? Count me in anyway please.

I will PM you.

Does anyone know if there is a benefit to having the thicker 4mm over the 2.5mm? I know thicker isn't always best (insert innuendo here!...)

TIA

P.S - sorry for the highjack! - a new thread will be started for the group buy.

I was speaking to Bob Polley (@ATC) recently about my new SCM20SL's which at the time were still being built. He asked what cables i was using, I said cheap but decent cables. He said this is exactly the right thing! but for longer lengths (over 4m) he recommended 4mm. This is also mentioned in the ATC manual, they recommend 2.5mm as minimum.

Just a quqick bump on this tread.

So apart from me is anyone up for a group buy as put forward by georgeeasten? I just worked out that I need 13 meters now and not 12.

Is the blue stuff 4mm? I too feel that at lengths of 6.5 meters, as I need, 4mm feels about right. I could easily be talked into 2.5mm if anyone has expereince of using it in quite longish lengths.

thanks, Bob

I don't need any as I have 2 x 6m of the 4mm Blue on my main system and am very happy with it so would say you are on the right track

I also have some 2.5mm on the kids system and that is fine too but is only a 1.5m run

advertisement

Back