advertisement

Van Damme speaker cable

So, how did it compare?

And what about the Sommer? Did anyone got to compare it with the Van Damme?

I was looking for some Mogami 2972 but seems impossible to get it for a decent price, so can't decide between Van Damme UP LCOFC and Sommer Orbit.

What do you think?

I've sold my Sommercable Eclipse to funtime, he's got a TQ thread going, he'll will be writing a l'ill feedback/report about both the TQ Black'v'Sommer... look out for it!!

So, how did it compare?

Two things I found out from trying the Van Damme were that not all speaker cables sounds the same and that, from my experience anyway; there is no burn in change to the sound of speaker cables.

In short the VD was not in the same league as my Naim in my system. The VD was detailed but at the expense of the music as a whole. It was as if you had more insight into the mix with the VD but the musical baby got thrown out with the bathwater, as it were…

I have another non Naim system at work that is DVD player into A&R A60 into Rega ELA 1.5’s. This system also uses Naim NACA5. Even on this very modest system the Naim came out ahead. This really surprised me as I thought the A5 was pretty much designed around Naim kit.

I was quite surprised by what I heard, especially in the basic non Naim system at work.

Ok I will get the Sommer Orbit 240 and the Van Damme UP LC-OFC 4mm (not the Blue) this week and try to see if there is much difference and improvement from my QED 79. It's only €20, so not much of an issue, just a few beers less.

yes been using van damme 6mm with good effect . very very good value but used with fairly cheap spades , i have just replaced with chord epic with wbt and i suspect the wbt have made a great improvement . i reckon the van damme with decent connectors is a very good cable indeed for the money

i used 6m one side and 3m the other

I use Van Damme 6mm Blue. They are very good value for money however if your looking for a subtle setup.. I would go for a smaller diameter. The 6mm are like a hose pipe and weigh more than a hose pipe. You can buy it per a meter from amazon.

I'm getting 4mm but it's just 1,5m each side so probably too thick. Not sure if it'll be too much or if smaller is better but the diference in price is not much... Also, I won't be using any terminations, at least not yet.

I'm getting 4mm but it's just 1,5m each side so probably too thick. Not sure if it'll be too much or if smaller is better but the diference in price is not much... Also, I won't be using any terminations, at least not yet.

I don't think you should have a problem with it being too thick. Should only really be a negative if it is the other way round.

main reason i have just changed from vd cable is shielding , having just bought a new more powerful router i am aware there is so much junk flying around and having experienced previously the lower noise floor of my oddysey after i diy home shielded it i have bought the epic but the vd is a beautiful cable for the money and will compare again with the epic although currently the epic is giving more detail

Maybe my feelings about the VD 4mm blue that I tried come from 25 years of using Naim cable. It could be that the VD blue was just a culture shock and one that even after a good week of trying I could not get used to.

Even though I have now sold off nearly all my Naim kit, I guess the cable was just one step too far at the moment.

I'm looking for some speaker cable to go betwen my Exposure xxv and Kans. Struggling to find the usual recommendations and came across this-

http://www.clearly-av.co.uk/v506000.html

Does anyone use or used this? Would be interested in any feedback.

Hi,
I am currently using the Van Damme blue series speaker cable. I was using the Audioquest Type 4 prevoiusly and the VD cables made it sound a little veiled, made the bass sound a tad warmer. The VD cable displayed more clarity, more sparkle & tightness in both high & low frequencies.

The move to try out the VD cable was due to the high volume of sales of this cheap cable by my local Harbeth dealer, based on the the fact that it is used by Harbeth inside their M40.1 speakers. He has sold a few 100 metre spools already!! Not only was the response good but also the feedback which followed later. I happened to chat with a few of those people who bought them. And at some their insistence, I went ahead & purchased a 2.5 metre terminated pair which cost me 70 pounds (including dealer mark up).

Because the cable is quite slim, I had my shotgunned, which meant four lengths of 2.5 metres twisted into 2 separate pairs. 1 run into positive twisted with 1 run into negative for one speaker, the same for the other pair. Quite happy with it since.

Hope this info helps,
Cheers.

Time to bring this back to life. My system has changed in the 3 years since this thread started.

The Sommercable has gone, I'm persuaded that cable differences exist, but don't know if it's the wire, or the connectors or the art of soldering that makes all the difference. Ultimately, I found my Sommercables sounded to soft. Since the I've used cable talk 3 and black rhodium twist. These suit my needs presently.

For interconnect I went from G2000HD to some non descript van dammes, a move I ultimately regretted. I still have the bettecablecompany ics but not using them. My choice today are interconnect made by Paul @ referencefidelitycomponents. I'm bi-amping, he made up some nice ics for me.

The biggest change to my system is the discovery of what you can achieve with a T-amp.

Tony, would you consider Naim as fancy 'voiced' audiophile cable? I'm not one to thow money about for no good reason but I'm still wondering if my 20 year old NACA5 is a good idea in a non Naim system?

Bob when i sold all my naim kit i kept the naca5 as it was in place and easy just to plug it in to any set of speakers. Big mistake but i also have to emphasise in my own environment. I bought and tried several classic speakers and could not find a good place in my room to hear them without too much bass Thinking it was the speakers at fault i sold them. I then changed the speaker cable for some of the old style rega braided cable and my god what a difference in bass control, detail, musicality etc. I never re-tried some of the speakers i had, but i have epos 14's 6 inches from the wall no bungs and no bloated bass.

I've used Naim cable for 25 years. just put VD Tour grade black in, I can honestly say I didn't notice a difference other than it doesn't look so terrible. (I use Naim amps)

Bob when i sold all my naim kit i kept the naca5 as it was in place and easy just to plug it in to any set of speakers. Big mistake but i also have to emphasise in my own environment. I bought and tried several classic speakers and could not find a good place in my room to hear them without too much bass Thinking it was the speakers at fault i sold them. I then changed the speaker cable for some of the old style rega braided cable and my god what a difference in bass control, detail, musicality etc. I never re-tried some of the speakers i had, but i have epos 14's 6 inches from the wall no bungs and no bloated bass.

I still have the Van Damme 4mm blue cable. I'm now using SBLs rather than my beloved IBLs. One thing that bugs me about the SBLs is their lack of bass clarity and control compared to the IBLs. The IBLs bass is small but perfectly formed.

I might put some bananas on the end of the Van Damme and give it a go with the SBLs. Nothing to loose except an hour of time a few 4mm plugs.

Will report back one day when I try it.

I've used Naim cable for 25 years. just put VD Tour grade black in, I can honestly say I didn't notice a difference other than it doesn't look so terrible. (I use Naim amps)

I've been using the Van Damme Tour Grade black for quite a while and really like it.

I've used various cables over the years, A5, Chord Odyssey, Tellurium Black, Nordost White Lightning.

The Van Damme just seems to sound right, very good price; I haven't though about speaker cables for a long time.

I've been using the same linear crystal ofc 2.5mm Van Damme blue for about 15 years now and I can't really fault it, it only cost me about £1.50 / m back then.

I'm a huge fan of VD Blue (the 4mm stuff in this case) and found it superb with my old Sony 770ES.

Would like to try it with my NAP110 but am unsure as to its electrical suitability. Could anyone confirm if it's safe to do so please? Its capacitance specs appear somewhat elusive. Thanks.

advertisement

Back