advertisement

Van Damme speaker cable

I tried the HiFi stuff against my Tour Grade Black 2.5 mm and preferred the Black, not a whole lot in it though.

What do you think about it in terms of flexibility (I imagine it's more flexible than Naim cable!), compared to the VD blue 4mm? . I've been thinking about some VD cables for a while, but wasn't sure I'd could live with the blue

It is a lot more flexible than the blue. It weighs quite a bit less too; in fact when the package arrive from Mark I felt the weight and my first thought was that there might be less than 16 meters inside.

Of course compared to the Naim stuff it's a walk in the park!

What's the difference between the black and blue aside from colour?

Three key differences (aside from colour):

Blue is 2 core only.
The cover is more durable on Black (Tour vs Studio)
The individual strands that make each core are thinner on the Black.

Actually, it's the other way round 0.15mm strands for the Blue and 0.25 strands for the Black :).

That's correct.
The Black is basically a more durable version of the Blue, due to it being aimed at use in the more demanding tour environment.
It has a tougher jacket and more durable copper stranding.
Electrically they are almost identical.

The VD web site suggests the HiFi stuff uses a higher grade of copper.
The conductors are widely spaced in a "shotgun" configuration.

There's photo of the 6mm HiFi stuff here.

Any idea how this hifi 6mm stuff compares to NAC A5, both sonically into different types of speaker and electrically with regard to capacitance?

I've had NAC A5 for yonks with different m/coil speakers, ES57s and my current ES 2905s. I ran Odyssey with my big ProAcs for a year or so and it was acceptable; a slightly different and leaner presentation than the Naim but ultimately not as fulfilling.

I tried the Odyssey with my 'statics and it was a disaster; NAC A5 again came to the rescue and appears to be very compatible. 11 metre runs from valved monoblocs were involved.

Been thinking of a change (and improvement) for some time but am now rather wary.

Any idea how this hifi 6mm stuff compares to NAC A5, both sonically into different types of speaker and electrically with regard to capacitance?

I've had NAC A5 for yonks with different m/coil speakers, ES57s and my current ES 2905s. I ran Odyssey with my big ProAcs for a year or so and it was acceptable; a slightly different and leaner presentation than the Naim but ultimately not as fulfilling.

I tried the Odyssey with my 'statics and it was a disaster; NAC A5 again came to the rescue and appears to be very compatible. 11 metre runs from valved monoblocs were involved.

Been thinking of a change (and improvement) for some time but am now rather wary.

FWIW the 4mm hi-fi is the first cable that I have preferred over NACA5. Why do you want 6mm? I use 4mm on 8m runs.

FWIW the 4mm hi-fi is the first cable that I have preferred over NACA5. Why do you want 6mm? I use 4mm on 8m runs.

I just follow the 'bigger is better' philosophy.:) Seriously, though, I'd expect the thicker core, assuming similar construction and more strands, to have less capacitance. My limited experience is that cables react differently with different speakers; I believe with different amplification too.

advertisement

Back