advertisement

Van Damme speaker cable

Has anyone bothered to compare these Van Damme's to Mogami 2972? (Don't worry, I can't be bothered to).

Me neither, though I have Mogami 2972 between the Quad 306 and Tannoys, Van Damme Blue 4mm between the 303 and La Scalas and Van Damme Blue 1.5mm between the JR149s and Amptastic (it's the thickest stuff that will go through the 149s base). Even if I could be bothered to compare them I can't as they all have different connectors at the speaker end (La Scalas and 149s connect straight to the crossovers)! All seem fine to me.

Thanks for the replies chaps - it's appreciated. :)

Looks like the Blue, whilst working ok, may be slightly borderline but not enough to cause the amp any real grief.

Looks like the Blue, whilst working ok, may be slightly borderline but not enough to cause the amp any real grief.

The blue is the best sounding cable I have ever heard. But since it sounds identical to every other cable with reasonable electriclal properties I have ever heard, it is also the worst sounding cable I have ever heard:).

Chris

Does it have the required stiffness? :)

Afraid not, it just lies there instead of bouncing around like a wannabe spring. Lazy ol' stuff really...

Well if NACA4 was outdoor lighting cable, chances are NACA5 is Van Damme or very similar.

Nup, electrically similar, materially dissimilar.

The bottom line is inductance/vs capacitance. With NACA, Van Damme Hifi Series, and other similar shotgun layups, you need a predictable minimum of 3.5m of cable.

Use the spiral wound or quad core stuff like V-D Blue or Mogami 2972 and you will generally need a fair bit more cable to rack-up the right amount of inductance for the amps to remain unconditionally stable. Guess it wrong and, well, what's a few smoked o/p transistors? :eek:

On that basis I would refuse sales of V-D Blue and Black to Naim owners - I'm not taking the rap if something *does* go wrong!

It's also a teensy bit mental to imagine those cables would sound different to Hifi Series cables since they use exactly the same conductor types and sizes, and at least with those you know you're ticking the Naim "must-do" box. Cost the same/m too...

Still your amps, your call ;)

I didn't mean off the same reels - But presumably someone makes it for them, Chord Co?

Honestly don't know, but Chord don't make most of their own stuff, so doubt they're responsible for NACA. I'd guess either Belden, or a Chinese wire-puller - who ultimately make almost everything...

I have just heard from Tracey Grant that my order has now been dispatched; that's just over one hour from placing the order.

HOLY MOLY these guys are just brilliant.

Best price and AMAZING service. Wow.... :):):)

For those who think that all speaker cables sound the same please read no further, you will obviously think that I am deluded.

For those who have heard differences in speaker cable or whom the jury is out, I will let you know what I think of the 4mm hi-fi cable.

A while back I compared the VD 4mm blue studio cable to my Naim NACA5; I strongly came down on the side of the Naim. In my system, at that time, the VD was detailed but at the expense of the flow of the music. The baby got thrown out with the bathwater if you like.

We have since then changed to Teddy Mono blocs and from IBLs to SBLs. Recently we wanted to change our sitting room around and moved the SBLs to an end wall. As the NACA5 was buried under the floor I got out the old VD blue to see how it worked out. To my pleasant surprise it worked rather well; maybe even a touch better than the NACA5. The VD blue certainly had a bit more information compared to the Naim but it had nearly caught up in terms of musicality. So the blue was just fine and it’s been installed for about a month.

After a while Debs and I got a bit tired of seeing blue hosepipe around the edge of the room and as it’s now impossible to put the blue under the floor I thought I would give the 4mm hi-fi cable a go. We have an oak floor and the cable is certainly less visually intrusive compared to the blue. I have used the existing 4mm banana plugs off the blue and re-soldered them to the hi-fi cable.

Before I switched cable I gave the track Palm Grease off the Herbie Hancock album Thrust a spin. All sounding good I then switched over the cables. I was honestly not expecting any difference in SQ, I mean they are both 4mm copper cables from the same company; I was delightfully wrong.

The HH track now came much more alive and the snare drum that was a touch recessed before moved much closer and the attack and timbre of the drum came through very clearly. The sax, that has always sounded a bit over-processed on this track, became much more like a sax playing in the room. The symbols that play percussive cross rhythms on the track really shone more on this cable. The boogie factor was still there as much as ever and in all the whole experience was a lot more fun.

The hi-fi cable has now been in for a couple of days and it’s really improved everything that I throw at it, vocals especially. At 60 odd quid for 16 meters it’s a complete bargain IMHO. I am a happy bunny.

I've just installed the VD 6mm HiFi cable on my PMC OB1i's.
It was recommended over the Blue by someone who has compared the two and reported the HiFi to be superior.

It's too early to tell, but there is something different going on, compared with the QED Silver Anniversary I was using and it's at least as good as Chord Odyssey at a third of the cost.

Interesting. I'd not seen the Hi-Fi stuff before, it seems to come in different thicknesses e.g. 6mm etc. Probably a bit lighter and more manageable than the Blue stuff I use in two of my three systems. I guess any difference in sound will be down to the conductor spacing, which looks further apart on the 'Hi-Fi' stuff.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
For those who think that all speaker cables sound the same please read no further, you will obviously think that I am deluded.

For those who have heard differences in speaker cable or whom the jury is out, I will let you know what I think of the 4mm hi-fi cable.

What do you think about it in terms of flexibility (I imagine it's more flexible than Naim cable!), compared to the VD blue 4mm? . I've been thinking about some VD cables for a while, but wasn't sure I'd could live with the blue

Ordered Van Damme speaker cable for my PMCs. They recommend them. So I ordered cable for the amount of 60`£ (the required minimum). I got an order confirmation. But since then nothing.... It said I had to wait until they contacted me. Thats almost 2 weeks ago! Sent another email last week. Never got a reply. These cables are hopefully better then their service.
Mmmmm that sounds like a scam to me

I use Sommer speaker cable on my studio monitors. Van Damme on microphone cables and installation, sommer multicores and klotz instrument cables. Neutrik or Amphneol connectors

I guess any difference in sound will be down to the conductor spacing, which looks further apart on the 'Hi-Fi' stuff.

The Hi-Fi stuff uses thinner individual strands (quite a lot thinner) and there are therefore more of them (to make up the diameter).

but wasn't sure I'd could live with the blue

Partly why I went for the Black Tour Grade - it's less flexible than the blue though (which is less flexible than the hi-fi) - everything is more flexible than NacA5 mind you!

advertisement

Back