advertisement

Unwanted silence from Naim - help needed!

Thomas K: It looks like it would have pins, since the input from a flatcap has pins. But i'm not sure, and don't know what difference it could make....

I was talking about the Aux 2 blanking plug!! That does not have pins, and you do NOT need it for the unit to operate.

The link plug (the one that goes in the "Upgrade" socket) has to have pins, and if you're not using an external power supply unit this plug needs to be plugged into the "Upgrade" socket.

Have you tried the "reset to defaults" procedure?

"To restore all programmable settings to the factory defaults press and hold the remote handset disp key while the preamplifier is in program mode. The preamplifier will exit from program mode following this operation."

Also, using a different interconnect (if at hand) also seems like a good idea.

Ok, but I guess I'll not know if it could really make the thing sound again, before plugging tha blank in...

If you cant wait and just whant to hear some tune my suggestion would be to turn it off unplug everything and start over with the set up Manuel right by your side. If you can do this where you can see everything clearly. A good coffee table in the middle of the room is just great. This way you will get to know your NAIM inside out in no time. On a Naim I always start at the speaker outputs. GOOD luck this must suck big hairy asses.

The reset procedure did not do the trick (It seemed to reset the pre amp though).

Yeah, maybe I should sleep on it a start from the beginning in the morning=)

If the pre was powered by an FC then he would have been using a 5-pin SNAIC.

To power the pre from the power amp, a 5-pin plug needs to be plugged in where the FC used to be plugged in. A 4-pin SNAIC would then carry the power and signal between the pre and power.

If the original owner hasn't been using the 4-pin SNAIC in a while it could be faulty.

Sure, this might be the case. I guess he has not used the 4-pin for a while. But faulty cables seemes to be a bit far fetched...or? I have not used naim before, so don't know if this is common.

ive never had a faulty naim cable but you dont know how its been stored i suppose. I think your best bet is to get the fella who you bought it off to come and set it up. The only difference is that he used the FC2 which makes me think its either a PS problem in the 150 or something to do with the cable/sockets. Does the 112x have L.e.d's on the back to show you what input is being used when you select one on the front panel?

i know you have said something about this before but is the link plug in where the flatcap2 used to plug in? Am not 100% certain but i think the controls and front panel power circuits are seperate to the audio circuits. This might be why it appears to be powered up but makes no sound. the link plug has to be in place if the FC2 is not powering the audio circuits.

think i was getting it confused sorry, the one am thinking of the blank plug covers two sockets :/

Can you post any pics? A photo of the blanking plug could be key. it's not just a blank cover that is needed but a shorting plug that connects the 2 power rails together. If it's the wrong type the main gain boards are not being powered up, but the rest of the 112 is...so it would look to be powered up...but remain steadfastly silent.

The plug (blank plug) is connected where the flatcap2 used to be connected. Only the blank plug for "aux2/pwr" is missing.

My applied connections look like on the pics from 6moons (but I have the 112X with additional rca inputs).

Thanks for replies ang suggestions guys, but tonite i'm biting the dust on this one. Now, I'll be litterally drowning my sorrows and frustration with my new naims...

Cheers!

NJ: It's a standard naim 5-pin blank plug I use (but I feel there's someting strange with my connections....)

What do you mean strange ?

Also, on my older Olive gear, I can hear a slight 'hiss' coming from the speakers. And, if there is music coming in a different input you can hear it when another input is selected.

BTW, did you remove the batteries from the remote ? Just in case it's causing issues ...

advertisement

Back