advertisement

Unwanted silence from Naim - help needed!

Ah, has it been programmed to accept RCA, not DIN; this could be it. Check the manual or someone on here will tell you how to do it, it's via the pre amp, obviously.

You WILL get there...

I may have missed it but where are you? If you're anywhere near me in Nottingham I'd be more than happy to come round or your could bring your kit round to fault-find.

Erik sent me the pix and he has it hooked up correctly with the right link plug...so it pretty much has to be the CD input is mapped to the RCAs. So strategies to confirm:
  1. Use some RCA interconnects, or
  2. Connect it up to any other non-mapable line input (e.g., Tuner) and check it.

The odd thing is the lack of hiss. Even if all of my sources are powered down, I still hear a hiss from my speakers.

So the lack of hiss could be indicative of a connectivity issue between the pre and the power.

The other issue could be with the 'mute' ? But you can still hear the hiss even if the pre is muted.

As told to Neil:

I actually bought the cd separately and have used it with RCA's, but the guy who sold me the 112x/150x used a naim cd din-din, so by setting my cd's output to din I thought it would be ok. Well, as you know it wasn't, and I've also tried setting both cd and preamp back to rca, but no sound. Also swtched to the tuner input, with the same result.

Doing the mapping procedure or resetting the preamp doesn't have any effect either.

If the 112x had been programmed to accept RCA, not DIN - i guess the reset procedure should fix it, or am i wrong?

My conclusion (so far=) is that either my 4-pin din-din between 112x and 150x is faulty with regard to the audio signal (highly unlikely though?) or there is some obscure fault with the 112 that cannot be detected by someone like me (must have occurred since yesterday at the sellers house...).

And as I also told Neil, until I can find the money to take it to the dealer, I might put it in the back of the closet=)

And thanks Uzinusa, would have been just what I need - but I live in Stockholm;)

I think I'll try to save some money for a service! Until then I'll hide them in my closet=)!

Is it possible that for some bizarre reason the the "Input Volume Compensation" has been turned right down to 0...does it even go that far down?

Maybe the seller would agree to let me test it at his place.

On thing about the hiss though, it is constant and does not, as far as I can notice, increase by turning the volume up. Does this tell anyone anything?

...My conclusion (so far=) is that either my 4-pin din-din between 112x and 150x is faulty with regard to the audio signal (highly unlikely though?)
Very unlikely. Firstly they are very durable. Secondly it would be extremely unlikely for both signal connections to go bad simultaneously, and third if the common ground was out (the most likely explanation for both signals being disrupted in parallel) you'd not get the power either.
..or there is some obscure fault with the 112 that cannot be detected by someone like me (must have occurred since yesterday at the sellers house...)
Or the CD is not outputting an audio signal. Do you have another source you can try?

Upping the volume should result in more hiss though shouldn't it? :(

It's all a bit beyond me but either the problem is with the pre out or power inputs. The power speaker outs have hiss at least :)

I'd try and get in contact with the seller. Did he seem like a scammer? You might have good luck if he is genuine as he might want to help you.

Maybe the seller would agree to let me test it at his place.

On thing about the hiss though, it is constant and does not, as far as I can notice, increase by turning the volume up. Does this tell anyone anything?

This means your amp is not at fault. Very GOOD. This means your pre is not sending any signal to the amp.

Yes, I have connected the cd-player to my old crummy amp and it works just fine.

Btw I just talked to the seller who was as pussled as me as to the development of this affair. If possible, he seems to know even less than me about naim units, but agreed to lend me another cable to try and and a blank plug for the aux2/pwr (seems to be fitted in the manual, i hope it does not damage the preamp to put a plug in this input, since I dont know if it should be plugged/shorted or not...). His cable seems to be a 5-pin and I really cant see how that would help me, but lets see tomorrow.

Otherwise, I'm running out of ideas, but thanks to you guys I've learnt a lot about naim gear anf connectors since yesterday!

This means your amp is not at fault. Very GOOD. This means your pre is not sending any signal to the amp.

Ok Jack, in this situation, that conclusion actually feels pretty good. And the million-£-question now for sure is why the thing wont send out a signal.

Possibly someone who knows electronics better than me will have to take a look at it! With your help I feel like I've tried every trick in the book regarding connections and settings (but somehow it still feels like the fault has to do with settings=)

advertisement

Back