advertisement

Unwanted silence from Naim - help needed!

Tepez

Hello, I have a quick question for you who understand naim!

I just bought a 112X pre and 150X power combo (sounded great at the seller two hours ago), but when I connected them a home I could get no sound at all (though I can hear a pretty loud "plop" frpm the speakers when power amp is turned on). In the manual I can notice that both the inputs "power supply upgrade" and the "aux2 in and pwr" are fitted with a plastic covered plug. I, on the other hand, only have the plug for the "power supply upgrade" fitted and therefore I have left the "aux2 in and pwr" "unplugged". May this cause total silence from the combo? I use only the cd input.

I´m pretty desperate for help over here, since I spent a lot of money (for me, that is:D) on these beauties! Also eager to hear them!

And btw; I really hope I didn't damage the power amp by using a non naim speaker cable (Audioquest with regular banana plus...:confused:)!??

Thankful for your help! / Tepez (sweden)

Tepez - you have the connections right. Dont worry about the Aux2 / pwr.

Are the lights on on the preamp ?

Is the mute off (button not lit)

Are you using the RCA or Din input for the CD player as you may have the input mapping set wrong on the 112X ? - see 17.1 in the manual.

James

James and thanks for the reply - it lights up ok. It also goes into mute mode when the power amp (and preamp) is turned on, but after a minute or so, goes into regular mode (the mute switches off). I have tried both RCA and DIN, but no sound. Could it still be a mapping problem?

Michael L, my users manual states the same, but I can't understand if/why the result of not using both covers is dead silence from the unit...

I think you need both covers - have a look here.

My old 282 worked fine without the Aux 2 cover in place. Its just a reminder by Naim to stop you plugging a non stageline etc source in to this socket and to use socket 6 instead.

Cheers

James

James, that is what i also figured about aux2. This kind of worries me, since there might be something wrong with the units... But it is strange that they worked just fine a few hours ago... Any other ideas?

many thanks!

Hmm... On the back of the power amp is says "Warning. Do not replace supplied loudspeaker plugs with individual 4 mm plugs".

Well, I have done that (I have read on forums that it could be done...). Does anybody know if this might be the source of my problem? Could I really have blown the power amp by using another connector (regular audioquest banana plug). It still turnes on though, with a pretty loud plopping sound...

Grateful for answers!

I had this set up a while back and very good it is too. I rembember this sort of thing. It will be to do with the blanking plugs, are they fully conected, the pre goes into mute vai an automatic process and resets itself, is it stuck in monitor mode.

Disconect and start again and leave it to do it's own thing.

Hope you get it sorted, must be driving you crazy....

Hi mate I have the 122x and 150x and some time back mine stopped output and I rang naim and all it was is that the preamp needs resetting as an electrical storm nocked mine out. It can also be cased by a surge. If you go onto naim site and download the manual it tell you which button to hold in on power up to reset to factory default. I cant remember which one so I dont want to guess.

Gaius, thanks for your reply. The blanking plugs are not fully connected (I only got one of them, since the seller has used the "aux2/pwr" and forgotten to put the blanking plug back in when selling the unit). You think this might be the problem? And, it initially sets itself into monitor mode, but it can be switched off...

The pre mute is ok, it should be like that i've now read.

And you're right - it IS driving me crazy=)!

If you hear a plop at switch on then the power amp is most likely OK...so check that the tape monitor function is not switched in...or you will hear nothing. Also check the mute is not on...

Yeah I reckon it's to do with the blanking plug, I have a spare 4 pin if you need it. Is the snaic in right?

BTW, look out for a FC2, it makes a good step up with this set up.

advertisement

Back