advertisement

Unwanted silence from Naim - help needed!

Can you hear any hiss at all coming out of the speakers when the volume is turned up? (Put your head close to the cones to hear)

With the player stopped, press and hold the remote handset "disp" function (handset in "CD" mode) until the CD player "prog" indicator flashes. Further operations of the "disp" function will now cycle through each combination of the two socket types (DIN only, RCA Phono only or both). The selected option is indicated on the CD player display as shown below.

DIN: O
RCA: oo
Both:O oo

(Select the DIN only option, ie a big "O")

Press and hold the "disp" function a second time to exit from socket selection mode.

To avoid compromised sound quality, do not select both unless their simultaneous use is unavoidable.

19.4 Output Socket Selection
A pair of RCA Phono output sockets are fitted on CD player rear panels to provide an alternative to the preferred DIN socket. Proceed as follows to select the RCA Phono sockets.
With the player stopped, press and hold the remote handset disp function (handset in CD mode) or, if fitted, the player disp button until the CD player prog indicator flashes. Further operations of the disp function will now cycle through each combination of the two socket types (DIN only, RCA Phono only or both). The selected option is indicated on the CD player display as shown below.
S
ocket Option Player Display
DIN O
Phono
Both O
Press and hold the disp function a second time to exit from socket selection mode.
To avoid compromised sound quality, do not select both unless their simultaneous use is unavoidable.

Thomas - I'm not sure I understand. Do you know what the display should show for using only DIN? 1. oo 2. 0 oo 3. 0 ?

Ok, that seemed like it was worth a try! But, yet again, no sound whatsoever! But I really appriciate the help!

So was the RCA option (two small o's) selected before? If so, I'd definitely check all other connections again, check the amp isn't muted, correct input selected etc. Because if RCA was selected on the CD player you couldn't have gotten any sound ...

It seemed to be have been set to both din and rca before. But I have several times also connected the 112x via the RCA:s. But if the amp is muted in any way, should the mute button not be lit (and it isn't)?

Yes, if it's muted the mute button is lit. Sorry you're still not getting any sound! It's unlikely that the amps are broken if they worked at the seller's place -- perhaps it really is a cable fault.

Yes Thomas. I agree that it really could be a faulty cable, and I guess it it possible that the 150x powers up the 112x without getting the signal back from the 112x...

Maybe I should try to get my hands on anoter 4-pin snaik.

Well, it has been a pretty frustrating 24 hours since I got it home. But I'm beginning to accept I cant fix it right now...=)

Ok, Neil, I cannot access my mail account at the moment (yahoo has serious problems over here), but I'll be sure to get back to you as soon as possible!

I'd be surprised if you've lost both L & R audio channel from a faulty Snaic 4 unless someone has been 'modding' it.
You could power down and remove the screws holding the cover on the 4 pin Snaic just to visually check that nothing has come adrift.

Better still if you could check the continuity of each conductor end to end just to make sure, but it seems more likely this fault is a selection error
somewhere if it worked OK before (even with the FlatCap).
From you pictures it certainly appears to be wired up correctly.

Dave.

P.S. I was really hoping that it was the wrong output selection on the CD.

He should be getting a rush sound from his amp. This is what I would do. Turn everything off. Disconnect everything from the amp but the speaker wire. Wait 10 minute to discharge the amps caps. Turn the amp on. You should here a Naim pop if the amp is working. If your scared dont do it.

To go back to default. Press and hold the "prog" key until the volume light flashes. Press and hold the "disp" until the light stops flashing.

Jack, unfortunately this doesn't do the trick (even though it seems to set itself into default settings). But thanks anyway!

Great advise I've gotten from you guys at this site - would for sure be totally lost without it! I'll seek out some support from naim in the coming week, but after all things I've tried after your suggestions I really don't have any high hopes of "on my own" getting sound out of my naims (later I might take it to the local distributor for som service, but it will probably be very costly).

Been a bit of a dissapointment since I had been saving up for these , but the International support here has been great!

advertisement

Back