advertisement

UK Election 2015 (part III)

above I framed how available the coverage was. It was tight-lipped. Your link here is 1 hour since refresh and contains the strings "london" and "protest", two words which returned no result for this event yesterday evening. Now there are two results, both dated 10 May. The result of the 'twitter effect', I guess.
Maybe, but the basic story was on the BBC yesterday. I know because I read it.

It's not very interesting, other than in the meta-sense of idiots stamping their feet and showing a contempt for the people. You could construct a narrative today that the BBC are over-egging it.

Paul

With such a clear mandate for the SNP what is to stop the Tories giving the SNP exactly that they want? FFA, No Barnett and no MPs in Westminster which is now England and/or Wales only?

Defense (and the BoE, currency, etc) presumably would be done at a new Federal level. Possibly with a reformed upper house becoming an elected UK senate.

With such a clear mandate for the SNP what is to stop the Tories giving the SNP exactly that they want? FFA, No Barnett and no MPs in Westminster which is now England and/or Wales only?

Well, I think it was an anti-Tory vote, not a mandate for independence. The problem is that SNP bampots seem to think it was.

Bring on another referendum. The SNP's plans are so half-baked, they'll lose it again.

Well, I think it was an anti-Tory vote, not a mandate for independence. The problem is that SNP bampots seem to think it was.

You would hope that the Scots voters had visited the SNP website, where, in the section called, "About us", the first paragraph says:

"The SNP is a social democratic political party committed to Scottish independence. The party has been at the forefront of the campaign for Scottish independence for over seven decades."

You would hope that the Scots voters had visited the SNP website, where, in the section called, "About us", the first paragraph says:

"The SNP is a social democratic political party committed to Scottish independence. The party has been at the forefront of the campaign for Scottish independence for over seven decades."

Yes, but it wasn't a single-issue vote, that vote was back in September, and the SNP lost it. If I was Cameron, I'd call their bluff and re-run it.

The SNP were hoping to join up with Labour, and thank goodness that didn't happen, given the quality of their candidates.

Voters in England are at the beginning of an interesting political experiment. A generation has grown up there never having experienced full undiluted Conservative rule. The weak consumer-led economy, rising deficit and radical cuts to public spending are going to produce a very polarised society just as Thatcher did in the 80s. What's to restrain a Tory government, the provisional wing of which will now call in its loans to Cameron?

We saw the consequences of weak political opposition to Thatcherism and while she had the charisma among her own and peak oil revenues to fund sickness and unemployment benefits, Cameron has neither.

Voters in England are at the beginning of an interesting political experiment. A generation has grown up there never having experienced full undiluted Conservative rule. The weak consumer-led economy, rising deficit and radical cuts to public spending are going to produce a very polarised society just as Thatcher did in the 80s. What's to restrain a Tory government, the provisional wing of which will now call in its loans to Cameron?

We saw the consequences of weak political opposition to Thatcherism and while she had the charisma among her own and peak oil revenues to fund sickness and unemployment benefits, Cameron has neither.
The generation you speak of are in for a wide awakening under pure tory rule, especially under Cameron rule, a guy who is prepared to make "great Britain great again" but at who's expense?
The rich will not be footing the bill that's for sure if the last 5 years are anything to go by, only the most vulnerable will yet again be paying for his ideals.

The last 5 years will be fondly looked back on as a comfortable ride soon I fear, it's going to get real, I predict lot's of rioting over the next few years with lot's of unrest as back in the thatcher days.

To cut the amount he is from welfare firmly states where his intentions lie & who will pay the price.

Thursday the 7th of May was a very sad day for this country imo

someone I know of voted tory purely on the basis to stop the snp joining labour? I mean, it's beyond belief.

Can't wait for the great art and music to come out of this hardship. The best art is always created in times of turmoil and austerity and never in times of comfort and prosperity. Cyber Anarchists and decentralised groups like Anonymous are already bubbling away and a few reveals from large scale security breaches and a culture whistleblowing encouraged by disgruntled cleaver people intent of deconstructing the state will also give us some truly great political satire. Its not all bad.

The Tories won, unambiguously. So deal with it but for crying out loud deal with it inventively and artistically, meet it with creativity, disruption and bloody-mindedness not placidity and timidness. Make winning worthless...

Bring on another referendum. The SNP's plans are so half-baked, they'll lose it again.

Except maybe the tory propaganda machine will do everything it can to ensure another referendum is a success for the SNP while appearing to be doing the opposite? That would be a win-win scenario for the tories.

As I said in #1269 which received only a personal insult in response from a member...

The SNP believed the polls. Those that voted SNP believed Scotland would be in a position to make demands as a condition for agreeing to join a coalition govt with Labour. This support for the SNP was picked up by the tories who used it to their full advantage and created an environment of fear among the rest of the UK voters, many of whom then voted conservative to prevent this disproportionate influence. It seems really obvious, tbh.

As I said in my previous post, I wasn't worried about Labour going into coalition with the SNP, however listening to Sturgeon this morning on the Marr show I was surprised at the tone from her toward telling Cameron what he can and can't do. So the end result of this surge of nationalism is the Scots have no real say in Westminster, I doubt Cameron will take any notice or do anything for Scotland that isn't for the long term strategic advantage of the tories.

The tories have no support in Scotland and they can win an election without any support in Scotland, so they care less about Scotland than they do about the disadvantaged in the rest of the UK. Stand by for some hard times.

The fundamental hole in the SNP's argument is that Scotland is not a separate country, but the way they talk, you'd think it is. They are always banging on about how "Scotland didn't vote for this". Neither did the NW and NE of England, nor did London and Wales. It's an empty argument.

I'm not sure about some of your logic Brian. Had Scots wanted a strong Labour minority govt, they'd have voted Labour- that was my intention until I saw the polling and the DM advice to Tories to vote LibDem in my constituency.

I think what happened in Scotland just cut the legs off the old political concensus. Had there been 20 Tory MPs in Scotland, they'd have gone, same for LibDem, same for Labour. I can't fully explain why the SNP took 56 out of 59 seats in one night- it's remarkable. My guess is the repelence of Cameron and what he stands for and the final grim realisation that Westminster is utterly self serving and rotting from the inside. The high level Paedophile scandals and the coat dragging over their investigation, the coat dragging over Leveson's reforms of Murdoch's abuses and the convenient burial of Chilcot played a part.

It's now England's turn to seek a more progressive politics.

I think it depends on whether people/the Government want Scotland to go or stay. I think Cameron should offer full fiscal autonomy to Scotland ASAP.....as in, really soon. The EU referendum, or the result, will be a trigger for the SNP to call for another UK exit referendum.....I believe they're counting on it.

If the UK vote to exit the EU, but Scotland on its own doesn't, they'll want a referendum for sure and if things stand as they are, the SNP might get what they ultimately want. But if Scotland is virtually running its own economy under fiscal autonomy, the electorate will be better placed to make a decision because they'll be able to see if all that the SNP promises is worth the additional taxes likley required to pay for it......oil price depending of course.

advertisement

Back