advertisement

Trump Part 14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Df_VBVW8_X0_AEHd_IM.jpg

e604cd79e8a8e70f1e3ab9450f3b2364cf673a71.jpg

Last edited:
This is freaking bonkers. Truly bonkers.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/v...der_who_betrays_president_donald_j_trump.html

And then just when you cannot imagine how much more bonkers this is, you realise that Trump is en route to discuss nuclear weapons with a crazy dictator.

You don't cross Trump. He takes it personally.

As Selina Scott revealed http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ald-Trump-failed-seduce-stalked-20-years.html, Trump bears all the hallmarks of an obsessive psychopath.

If rocket man doesn't bow down and let Trump win the Singapore summit, then expect Trump to go ballistic. Perhaps literally.

If rocket man doesn't bow down and let Trump win the Singapore summit, then expect Trump to go ballistic. Perhaps literally.

If that meeting has not been very carefully choreographed beforehand, the world could be in very deep poo, very quickly.

As if anyone currently based at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave could have the imagination and forethought to choreograph anything...

a crazy dictator.

I suspect he's anything but. Like all the Kims before him, he is determined that both he and his regime will survive, and this will be his goal. In a way, Kim has already won a major concession - he has had a US President treat him as an equal, and to date he has given little in return.

Mind you, there is something decidedly odd about a US President who treats his closest allies like dirt and showers praise on a dictator. As Paul Krugman points out in today's NYT, Trump's trade complaints are essentially baseless:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/09/...llection/sectioncollection/opinion-columnists

I suspect he's anything but. Like all the Kims before him, he is determined that both he and his regime will survive, and this will be his goal. In a way, Kim has already won a major concession - he has had a US President treat him as an equal, and to date he has given little in return.

Mind you, there is something decidedly odd about a US President who treats his closest allies like dirt and showers praise on a dictator. As Paul Krugman points out in today's NYT, Trump's trade complaints are essentially baseless:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/09/opinion/debacle-in-quebec.html?rref=collection/sectioncollection/opinion-columnists

Good article, sadly the more Trump lies, the more feeble minded support he gets. What a mess.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/09/opinion/debacle-in-quebec.html?rref=collection/sectioncollection/opinion-columnists
Excellent article, thanks.

When BBC reported Trump's tweet about being "lied to" by other nations at the Summit I pretty much shouted at the screen, "But is that true? Was he lied to, or is he just talking sh*t as usual?". The BBC provided no answer (to be fair I don't think Channel 4 News did a much better job). It's good to see that question answered, however unedifying the answer might be.

Excellent article, thanks.

When BBC reported Trump's tweet about being "lied to" by other nations at the Summit I pretty much shouted at the screen, "But is that true? Was he lied to, or is he just talking sh*t as usual?". The BBC provided no answer (to be fair I don't think Channel 4 News did a much better job). It's good to see that question answered, however unedifying the answer might be.

I had the exact same reaction and frustration upon hearing this. Trump is accusing Trudeau (and others?) of saying one thing in private, and then something very different in public. True? Who knows. My suspicion is that Trump and team hears only what they want to hear in private.

Will be interesting to see if this continues to play out in public, or if cooler heads prevail, and negotiations restart behind closed doors.

I think that Trump just flat out makes this shit up has been well understood by everyone for a long time. And certainly the point about VAT and Trumps confusion on tariffs has been well known since the campaign.

Navarro supporting all that and effectively egging him on in a dispute with Canada (!!) is the new bonkers bit. It's all getting collapse of the world order level of things and just at that point he's off to negotiate with another unstable and desperate authoritarian about nuclear weapons. I think I am genuinely worried now and for everyone not just Americans. Trump + foolish advisors + foreign policy chaos + dictators + nuclear weapons is a keep you awake at night mix.

And of course those who couldn't bring themselves to hold their nose and support Clinton, not least the NY TImes, now look like the Grade A schmucks and mea cuplas have been notably thin on the ground.

EDIT: So overall I think this NYT article is more fitting than the one from Kruggers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/10/opinion/g7-trump-quebec-trudeau.html?smtyp=cur&smid=tw-nytimes

I think that Trump just flat out makes this shit up has been well understood by everyone for a long time. And certainly the point about VAT and Trumps confusion on tariffs has been well known since the campaign.

Navarro supporting all that and effectively egging him on in a dispute with Canada (!!) is the new bonkers bit. It's all getting collapse of the world order level of things and just at that point he's off to negotiate with another unstable and desperate authoritarian about nuclear weapons. I think I am genuinely worried now and for everyone not just Americans. Trump + foolish advisors + foreign policy chaos + dictators + nuclear weapons is a keep you awake at night mix.

And of course those who couldn't bring themselves to hold their nose and support Clinton, not least the NY TImes, now look like the Grade A schmucks and mea cuplas have been notably thin on the ground.
That might be true but you wouldn't know it from the majority of TV news coverage I see. Any journalist worth his or her salt would fact-check Trump's claims, expose them for the lies they are, and treat them with contempt thereafter. Instead the usual approach is a kind of breathless, OMG, look what Trump's done now, with very little digging into the substance of the claims and counter-claims. If TV news is just another branch of the entertainment industry, Trump is the ultimate gift (and he knows it).

EDIT: So overall I think this NYT article is more fitting than the one from Kruggers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/10/opinion/g7-trump-quebec-trudeau.html?smtyp=cur&smid=tw-nytimes

No arguing that Trump lies. He does so daily.

What gave me brief pause this morning was a Kudlow interview on CNN. He repeated a claim that Trump is, at heart, a free trader. He said that Trump proposed an end to tariffs and subsidies at the G7. He also claimed that progress had been made with Trudeau in private, and that his public statements were a “stab in the back”. Perhaps Kudlow has simply joined the ranks of team Trump liars. But he, Navarro and Trump are, at least so far, telling the same story.

Of course, when Trump made or tweeted insulting comments about other G7 nations to appeal to his base, other world leaders cut him a lot of slack (or simply ignored him). Seems like Trudeau felt he needed to do something similar. But Trump, ever the delicate flower, took it personally.

No telling what will happen in Singapore. One theory is that Trump, having blown up the G7, will do whatever it takes to avoid two diplomatic disasters in a row. The North Koreans will no doubt see this as additional leverage.

Yes Matthew, well put. This is precisely the the kind of thing I was fearing would happen with Trump back in the 2016 election campaign. It now looks like those fears are coming to pass. Those who supported Trump should be ashamed of themselves and at least have the guts to say that they were wrong and apologise.

Now is the time to start becoming extremely worried as the collapse of the world order looks imminent.

And of course, this highlights the insanity of Brexit. At a time like this we should be getting closer to our European friends, not flouncing off, we are going to need them. The international cooperation aspect was one of the issues about Brexit that has deeply worried me, one which Brexiters seem very happy to ignore.

I am sure that Putin is delighted about how this all is playing out.

Yes Matthew, well put. This is precisely the the kind of thing I was fearing would happen with Trump back in the 2016 election campaign. It now looks like those fears are coming to pass. Those who supported Trump should be ashamed of themselves and at least have the guts to say that they were wrong and apologise.

Now is the time to start becoming extremely worried as the collapse of the world order looks imminent.

And of course, this highlights the insanity of Brexit. At a time like this we should be getting closer to our European friends, not flouncing off, we are going to need them. The international cooperation aspect was one of the issues about Brexit that has deeply worried me, one which Brexiters seem very happy to ignore.

I am sure that Putin is delighted about how this all is playing out.

You've summarised the Crazy Hideous Age Of Stupid very succinctly there Neil. Perhaps OscillateWildly needs to reconsider his priorities.

What little long term thinking that goes on in that administration may be to cut whatever deal they can with N Korea, pronounce it a historic agreement and then attack Iran.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back