advertisement

"Theorise less, listen more and learn more"

Mollusc. Audiophile. Discuss.

maggie and milly and molly and may
went down to the beach (to play one day)

and maggie discovered a shell that sang
so sweetly she couldn't remember her troubles, and

milly befriended a stranded star
whose rays five languid fingers were;

and molly was chased by a horrible thing
which raced sideways while blowing bubbles; and

may came home with a smooth round stone
as small as a world and as large as alone.

For whatever we lose (like a you or a me)
it's always ourselves we find in the sea

- e e cummings

Can the picture of that horrible leering tramp be reduced in size please?
The e e cummings power was nice.

The problem with this seemingly innocuous recommendation is that the protagonists don't practice what they preach. The 'always trust your ears no matter what the conditions' sect are the very worst when it comes to following gurus and clinging to the ideas of those with a picked, dogmatic view of the audio world. In fact, by not properly linking theory with practice they tend to drift from one potty doctrine to the next. They are bereft of guiding logic and have no real grounding.

I can give examples of course ;)

Thanks Rob!

I think I might have a go at gnawing over the bones of Max's signature next but to be honest knowing it's an REM lyric really is a bit of a turn off... Like prodding a bit of poop with a stick for well intentioned but ultimately messy and self-harmful ends.

How about using the Ponies Everywhere tool on their web site?

In fact, by not properly linking theory with practice they tend to drift from one potty doctrine to the next. They are bereft of guiding logic and have no real grounding.

;)

Or, as the philosopher said: ''Unless at least one thing is certain, nothing else can be described as even probable''.

Marx said the point of theory was to change to the world . Only listening will improve your hifi , it is the solitary pursuit of a solitary person . **** theory .

I cannot place that quote: Was that from "Animal Crackers" or "A day at the races?"

(Seriously WTF, can that tramp image be made smaller, please it's putting me off my Boutique Decaf Coccocino Soy Mocha Frappé)

listen more, the least discussed part of Stevens stimulus signature
[YOUTUBE]6-WMbP1RcC4[/YOUTUBE]

If the music in itself is enjoyable it will not matter what you play it on.

I was happier in the good old days when "the proof of the pudding..." left me hanging in mid air, hoping, watching, waiting with bated breath for a resolution to this enigmatic phrase (I had questions, oh I had many but in those days I lived for the future and not the now) "or there is more than one way to skin a cat" left me wondering what violent feline fantasies he harboured... but this signature, this is tricky... To me anyway... I am disappoint.

I guess I am still a dissapointivist rather than a youivist.
(What'snextception)

The language of the the audiophile is far more attractive than that of the scientist.

listen more, the least discussed part of Stevens stimulus signature

If the music in itself is enjoyable it will not matter what you play it on.

Mostly true, if you like & know the music, but I know some tunes that I like at home that are hopelssly boring in the car, for example.

I suppose you need to listen because in many cases the theory makes no sense.

Like how do you drain from a component that has rubber feet that acts as a decoupler? :confused:

maggie and milly and molly and may
went down to the beach (to play one day)

and maggie discovered a shell that sang
so sweetly she couldn't remember her troubles, and

milly befriended a stranded star
whose rays five languid fingers were;

and molly was chased by a horrible thing
which raced sideways while blowing bubbles; and

may came home with a smooth round stone
as small as a world and as large as alone.

For whatever we lose (like a you or a me)
it's always ourselves we find in the sea

- e e cummings

Listen more . . .

The language of the the audiophile is far more attractive than that of the scientist.

What has listening to scientists go to do with buying products to enjoy them?

Do you consult a scientist when you buy calves liver at the local butchers to validate that it is edible or do you just take the advice of the butcher or many others who eaten it that it is?

Do you consult a scientist when you buy calves liver at the local butchers to validate that it is edible or do you just take the advice of the butcher or many others who eaten it that it is?

No. But when somebody claims "calves liver is good for you", I do check what the current scientific consensus is.

the_vulcan_smoking_ritual_by_spockhorror-d4ovjkm.jpg

Now yer talkin'

advertisement

Back