advertisement

"Theorise less, listen more and learn more"

A hypothesis is only a hypothesis, not necessarily fact.
So theorising is OK, as long you don't become entrenched in believing it.

I use Audiclean to cleanse my ears. I certainly don't trust my ears nor Stevens. As his kit is very different to mine I cannot see any point in taking notice of what Steven thinks he hears.

Fox unless the man makes his own explanation of meaning I would not trouble yourself

You are talking as if buying hifi is about learning acoustic and electrical theory, it's about buying some boxes to play music in the way you enjoy it.

As a bunch of us keep repeating, none of us would have any problem with anyone stating "I got box ABCD, and to me it sounds great". The issue is with people who state "Box ABCD is better because I can clearly hear it is better, and anyway, it has a bisymmetric turbistor, and we all know bisymmetric turbistors have a much better frammbutan than monosymmetric turbistors - Mother Theresa said so in an interview in 'The Autocratic Sound'".

Seems some could benefit from (at the absolute least) reading what wikipedia (for example) has to say about what a theory is.

A theory is only a theory, not necessarily fact.

"In modern science, the term "theory" refers to scientific theories, a ell-confirmed type of explanation of nature, made in a way consistent with scientific method, and fulfilling the criteria required by modern science. Such theories are described in such a way that any scientist in the field is in a position to understand and either provide empirical support ("verify") or empirically contradict ("falsify") it. Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge, in contrast to more common uses of the word "theory" that imply that something is unproven or speculative (which is better defined by the word 'hypothesis')."

You're interpreting my interpretation wrongly, and I'm still not dictating :).

I got it spot on...

no amount of smileys and sentences of incredulity is going to hide the reality of someone who has nothing better to do that play a fantasy role play some google armchair scientist.

I got it spot on...

no amount of smileys and sentences of incredulity is going to hide the reality of someone who has nothing better to do that play a fantasy role play some google armchair scientist.
This statement says a lot about you, but nothing about me, well, that's my theory anyway.

Could we have a friendly discussion now or are you absolutely intent on stirring shit?

This thread turned into ad hominems and personal attacks rather quickly too.

As a bunch of us keep repeating, none of us would have any problem with anyone stating "I got box ABCD, and to me it sounds great". The issue is with people who state "Box ABCD is better because I can clearly hear it is better, and anyway, it has a bisymmetric turbistor, and we all know bisymmetric turbistors have a much better frammbutan than monosymmetric turbistors - Mother Theresa said so in an interview in 'The Autocratic Sound'".

Then you are a hypocrite.

Perhaps you ought to revisit your past posts about the terminology you used about hearing differences with equipment when you are just another loon sitting behind a computer who read up a few science articles.

Crap, I pressed the lock-thread button instead of the knock-heads-of-posters-together-as-though-they were-coconuts-then-laugh-manically button on the mod panel.

f2qyzb.jpg

Oh, well. Shit happens.

Joe

P.S. Sorry, fox. Not even ponies could have saved this thread.

(And now I've unlocked it as a test: Is self-moderation more powerful than mod moderation?)

Crap, I pressed the lock-thread button instead of the knock-heads-of-posters-together-as-though-they were-coconuts-then-laugh-manically button on the mod panel.

f2qyzb.jpg

Oh, well. Shit happens.

Joe

(And now I've unlocked it as a test: Is self-moderation more powerful than mod moderation?)

What`s the ASCll code for that key, Joe?

Sorry
Sorrysorrysorrysorrysorry
You stride amongst us like a colossus. Few would have had the strength you had to open a thread such as this.

Seriously, I thought it interesting. Remember the words of Kant "Experience without theory is blind, but theory without experience is mere intellectual play" and take heart.

f2qyzb.jpg

Oh, well. Shit happens.

Joe

I would have expected that the standard issue pfm moderator keyboard would feature a "lock thread" button big enough to land a Klingon Negh'Var-class warship on.

No that was n00b level with a post kant of 5 maybe 6.
Kids, don't drive on the internet superhighway on drugs (even PoMs) some things concerning Steven are best left in the realm of the mysterious.

What does it mean? Not only to Steven who wrote it (or uses it, it may be an unattributed quote, but I have no reference) but to other pfmers.

No idea. Mr. Toy don't be coy.

kasp,

The original mod 1.0 panel had two and only two buttons -- lock thread and ban jive turkey.

But these things evolve so the current panel has a plethora of buttons, including insert pony, insert multiple ponies, Trek that mo-fo, hey, I ordered a chezburger, lock thread, delete post, delete poster, insert rug, merge threads properly, STFU, Donny!, merge threads but beam head of some posters on the bums of others (and vice versa), banish member to Talos IV, Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!, ...

Well, you get the picture. Add my enormous man fingers to the mix and you can see why it's easy to miss the lock-thread button and accidentally press the knock-heads-of-posters-together-as-though-they were-coconuts-then-laugh-manically button, especially when modding a thread using an iPod.

Joe

advertisement

Back