advertisement

The 2021 F1 Season.

I echo all the others comments, your insights into F1 have been a joy to me with your knowledgable comments and views greatly enhancing my enjoyment of the sport.

I wish you and your family some quality time together and I look forward to being able to buy you that pint I promised.

Thanks for all the positive comments.

My family now comes first so it is not clear to me what I will do next. Some part time consultancy for a local team, that really did want to move up the grid would be of interest.

But sadly the egos that get to the top are generally as bad as each other and ensure that the grid is so spread out (same wind tunnel time etc across the grid should result in a much closer grid). Merc are now using the full vehicle performance development concept that I was working on in 2014 there. I am sure with so many clever people (the best guy I ever worked with is still there developing it so I am sure that they have gone beyond what I envisaged). Interestingly this guy is so valuable to them that he is still employed by them, despite living in Australia for 3 years now!

My health problems will result in a quiet period when I am not contributing on here.

After watching F1 cars on a race track I find all other race cars way too slow, but in answer to @Tony Lockhart I used to like different racing series and Silverstone is just up the road, so why not.

I am only interested in innovating new and better ways of doing things, which currently means F1 in motorsport. F3 is an operational process, which really does not interest me, but if a team wanted to do it to a much higher standard, then the tools and processes that I have developed do help with the operational side, even if they are targeted at the vehicle development side.

Basically what I do is pretty simple, we have more and more data, and therefore need mathematical models to tell us more and more about what the data could tell us in a much simpler form (in the data driven world all businesses need to be doing this to some extent and I am sure many people who post here are working in this way).

After watching F1 cars on a race track I find all other race cars way too slow,

Perhaps a trip to an FIA meeting at Santa Pod will suffice ;)
I can’t believe how pedestrian F1 cars look after they’ve come out of the Becketts complex and just don’t appear to accelerate!

Tony, yes you are spot on there!!

I meant to go to see the top fuel dragsters when I was living in the US but as with many things there, I thought that I had lots of time to do these things, but in the end I failed to organise them and then I was back in the UK.

Good luck with your career break and health issues Ian, hopefully before long you are back to full health and able to focus on enjoying family time and pondering the next step in your career. I really enjoy your contributions which provide a clear insight into the behind the scenes politics and technical innovation that is invisible to outsiders. This aspect of the sport is almost more interesting than the racing.

Someone thinks young Lance can be World Drivers Champion..............

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/55567562

I read that the other day and what I took from it is that Lawrence Stroll is committed to F1 in terms of his team and his son, Lance, and will do all he can to deliver success. Is it likely that an Aston Martin F1 car can become a regular race-winning car within 10-15 years, the possible span of Lance's career as a driver? I know all the teams and all the drivers are aiming for success, but it has to be said that Aston Martin (RP) has a good history of delivering good bang for buck, so I reckon race wins are on. Championships? As long as the big three remain in F1, it's hard to see Lance or Aston Martin Strolling away one.

If Stroll was so keen on winning he should have kept his best driver and sent lance back to Williams for a few years . He should also have tried to get an in form driver into the team and not someone who looked like were ready for retirement !

Tony, yes you are spot on there!!

I meant to go to see the top fuel dragsters when I was living in the US but as with many things there, I thought that I had lots of time to do these things, but in the end I failed to organise them and then I was back in the UK.

Dragracing is a complete experience, you just don't watch them, you just don't hear them, you FEEL them when the earth vibrates!!! Everyone interested in cars should go to a race.

advertisement

Back