advertisement

The 2019 F1 season.

I can’t see any bad luck in that at all.
No bad luck at all - just a brilliant call from Mercedes to pit Lewis for another set of mediums to chase Max down with. They even knew when Max's tyres would be finished. Lewis doubted the call but got on with the job. Was able to watch the whole race and watching the strategy play out was great.

Those laps from Lewis when he finally got clear air were sublime and there wasn't anything Max could've done - again he drove a great race. He currently looks like the only real challenger to Lewis.

IanW always said that Honda usually gets there in the end, it just takes them a long time, given the way they choose to do things. It would appear that they are almost there. The Ferraris that were third and fourth were in an entirely different race, while the undoubted kings of the heap battled it out at the front.

I think it's Red Bull's aero and chassis that gets them there on these kinds of circuits, not the Honda lump.

I think it's Red Bull's aero and chassis that gets them there on these kinds of circuits, not the Honda lump.

But last year Honda’s engines were nowhere near this good, chassis or not. They’ve made huge improvements.

Another enjoyable race and the wheel to wheel racing between Hamilton and Verstappen was extremely enjoyable to watch - and nerve-wracking lol

I think Ocon will get the drive next year because having an unofficial No.1 and No.2 driver at Mercedes works well when they're winning, but Red Bull Racing having definitely caught up so both drivers need to score. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Bottas hasn't been scoring - he's second in the championship: it's the points he hasn't picked up that makes me think Mercedes will twist rather than stick.

This is shaping up into one of the best F1 seasons in a while. Yes Lewis is running away with the DWC, but the races themselves are throwing up interesting racing. I can't remember a run of 4 races that have been as good as the last four for quite some time and MV/Red Bull are making LH/Mercedes dig deep which is always good to see. We need a wet Spa and a hard fought Ferrari victory in Monza to keep things on the boil. LH and Merc were sublime yesterday, but MV should be very happy how close he came to another victory and just how hard he and his team are pushing. I am most happy for Honda though as McLaren were a terrible partner for them blaming every single failing on the engine supplier (fuelled by Alonso's constant criticism) where some of the blame had to lie with the team. Red Bull aren't known for their tolerance of engine manufacturers, but somehow they are working with Honda not alongside them like McLaren seemed to and the partnership is yielding improvements on both sides of the engineering fence. Roll on 2019 F1 Part 2!

RBR had the opportunity to make the win Max's but they made a strategic error by not pitting Max on the lap after Lewis.

Behind the scenes it will have been information from the tyre engineers that will have enabled to race strategists at Merc make that call.

Lewis did drive the race very well, but I have no doubt that Max could have done the same if the roles had been reversed.

Knighthoods are not normally dished out to persons still in the middle of their career. When H retires, does a bit more charity work and so on, then the Knighthood will arrive.

Andy Murray probably caught the powers out - they probably thought he was largely 'over'. Of course he still might be.

Lewis knighthood = Role Model for "turbo Charged " multi cultural " Golden age " Britain .

Nah . He would be better off waiting till he retires

RBR had the opportunity to make the win Max's but they made a strategic error by not pitting Max on the lap after Lewis.

Was that on then? The impression I got from the TV commentary was that VER would have still come out behind even on that single lap.

I guess it would have been wheel to wheel for the rest of the race

This is shaping up into one of the best F1 seasons in a while. Yes Lewis is running away with the DWC, but the races themselves are throwing up interesting racing. I can't remember a run of 4 races that have been as good as the last four for quite some time and MV/Red Bull are making LH/Mercedes dig deep which is always good to see. We need a wet Spa and a hard fought Ferrari victory in Monza to keep things on the boil. LH and Merc were sublime yesterday, but MV should be very happy how close he came to another victory and just how hard he and his team are pushing. I am most happy for Honda though as McLaren were a terrible partner for them blaming every single failing on the engine supplier (fuelled by Alonso's constant criticism) where some of the blame had to lie with the team. Red Bull aren't known for their tolerance of engine manufacturers, but somehow they are working with Honda not alongside them like McLaren seemed to and the partnership is yielding improvements on both sides of the engineering fence. Roll on 2019 F1 Part 2!

I agree with much of what you say but don't forget that Red Bull got Honda after 4 years of pain that McLaren suffered so not starting fro zero

Pleased for Russell but we just can’t really judge him against a driver who’s effectively racing with one hand. If this prime Kubica pre accident then yeah. I’m not having a pop at Russel, he can only drive against who he’s partnered with but we just can’t measure Russell’s performance until he’s up against a fully fit driver.

Maybe I worded it badly, yes KUB is not the driver he was but I was more impressed with RUS getting ahead of other cars as up until now their battle has only been with each other.

Was that on then? The impression I got from the TV commentary was that VER would have still come out behind even on that single lap.

I guess it would have been wheel to wheel for the rest of the race

I will check once the F1 shutdown has finished, but with RBR having the fastest pitstops (and Lewis did not have a good stop), then it looked like Max would have come out in front.

On similar age tyres it would have been a nose to tail run to the finish.

I will check once the F1 shutdown has finished, but with RBR having the fastest pitstops (and Lewis did not have a good stop), then it looked like Max would have come out in front.

On similar age tyres it would have been a nose to tail run to the finish.

Lewis had a 2.2 sec stop at his second stop fastest of the day for Merc. It was his first stop that was slow.

advertisement

Back