advertisement

The 2019 F1 season.

Was that on then? The impression I got from the TV commentary was that VER would have still come out behind even on that single lap.

I guess it would have been wheel to wheel for the rest of the race
That’s what I heard the commentators say - would have been an exciting end to the race if they were both on fresh tires.

Actually might have been a clip from RBR team radio saying MV would have exited the pits behind LH.

Actually might have been a clip from RBR team radio saying MV would have exited the pits behind LH.

I heard that - Max actually asked the pit whether he shouldn't have come in for fresh tyres and received the answer, "You'd come out behind Lewis." Hamilton questioned the strategy, but did as he was told and it worked out very well.

The thing that amazed me was how far back the Ferraris were - Vettel might have been third, but he was a country mile behind. This reminded me of the brilliant 2008 Rossi v. Stoner battle at Laguna Seca, the most gripping motorsport event I've ever seen - when Stoner came off, the two were so far ahead that he had time to pick up the bike and finish second.

That’s what I heard the commentators say - would have been an exciting end to the race if they were both on fresh tires.

I saw 20.2s ahead as Max came past the pit entrance on Hamilton's outlap. So it would have been incredibly close. Every lap after that obviously a smaller gap. Given that Hamilton was inherently faster letting him get ahead guaranteed the result, and possibly having him within a second on his second lap of the stint would also have guaranteed the result.

RBRs real problem was lack of Gasly.

I saw 20.2s ahead as Max came past the pit entrance on Hamilton's outlap. So it would have been incredibly close. Every lap after that obviously a smaller gap. Given that Hamilton was inherently faster letting him get ahead guaranteed the result, and possibly having him within a second on his second lap of the stint would also have guaranteed the result.

RBRs real problem was lack of Gasly.

The fastest pit stop was 21.164 by VER so think HAM would have been ahead but yes very close and Merc seemed to have edge in pace so no change.

I agree that if GAS had been there 20 secs back, Merc would probably not have risked the stop.

Hats off to Ham but Schumacher did that feat 21 years ago in an inferior Ferrari car to the Maclaren Mercedes.

Regards,

Martin

Tony,

All I was pointing out that it’s been done before 2 or 20 years is immaterial MS had an inferior car to Maclaren whereas Ham has been sitting in the best car for years.

Regards,

Martin

And why is that car superior? And why does Lewis win when the Ferrari should?

McLaren, by the way.

Lewis is doing a fantastic job. He really has been frustrating at times, but he’s verging on perfection. I don’t see how anyone can criticise someone who is doing the very best he can with what he’s given.
And remember when he announced his move from McLaren to Mercedes? What an idiot we all thought he was!

Tony,

All I was pointing out that it’s been done before 2 or 20 years is immaterial MS had an inferior car to Maclaren whereas Ham has been sitting in the best car for years.

Regards,

Martin

So what?

Senna did it, Nuvolari did it, Clarke did it, Mansell did it....... who cares? Great drivers doing great things here and now is what we all want to see not the fact it has been done before

Oh and it is McLaren not MacLaren

Also SCH had the best car plenty of times let alone a full suite of compliant subservient co drivers forbidden to compete with him.

The sport and technology has changed so much over the years that it's impossible to compare drivers across eras. We don't know what Schumacher would do in a modern car but we can say that when he retired he would have been slower than my Mum is now in her Renault Clio which is a *2019* model.

And why is that car superior? And why does Lewis win when the Ferrari should?

McLaren, by the way.

Lewis is doing a fantastic job. He really has been frustrating at times, but he’s verging on perfection. I don’t see how anyone can criticise someone who is doing the very best he can with what he’s given.
And remember when he announced his move from McLaren to Mercedes? What an idiot we all thought he was!

Not me! I felt that once Ron stepped aside and Whitmarsh took over, the dynamic in the team seemed to change. Ron was all for Lewis but Whitmarsh seemed cool towards him and Lewis didn't seem to have the team behind him as much with Jensen arriving. It always seemed like a good idea to get out at that point. I've heard Niki Lauda had a big part to play in persuading him to move too.

It's worked out Ok!

advertisement

Back