advertisement

The 2019 F1 season.

Haters are gonna hate no matter what. Lewis is a great example of a fine British sportsperson, and should have far more credit over here than he gets.

I couldn't agree more. I have read a lot of times recently how Andy Murray is the greatest British sportsman of the 21st century. Leaving aside the drama he seems to court (pun intended) when I look at Murray I see a decent tennis player who has won 3 slams, but so have many others with the likes of Federer, Nadal and Djokovic all having won many more than 3. Would Murray be described as an all time great? Not in my book.

Then we have Hamilton.... winner of 5 F1 WCs and one of only 3 men to have ever done so. The sport he participates in requires huge levels of fitness, is considerably more dangerous than many including tennis and he seems to live a clean, healthy if somewhat ostentatious life, but who can blame him. He is always articulate and is a brilliant ambassador for Britain and F1. To me he is the greatest sportsman Britain has and it's a pity that many can't focus on all his achievements and qualities. Yes he makes the occasional gaffe as does anyone under the spotlight like he is and so what. Sadly most won't realise how good he is until he is gone from the sport. The rest of us are enjoying watching one of the greatest F1 drivers of all time ply his trade and make his mark on the record books.

"The rest of us are enjoying watching one of the greatest F1 drivers of all time ply his trade and make his mark on the record books."

It's what all the bores are missing. it was 20 years since the last "best of all time". we should lap it up.

he needs to reign in all the luvvy bollocks, though. the post-race wedding speeches are getting hard to listen to.

simple!

don't like my posts - don't read 'em!

I don’t know about anyone else, but I usually just skip from post to post without reading the name of the member unless I feel like it.
F1 seems to attract a lot of people who either don’t like the whole idea/current racing, or pick holes in it but keep on watching those parts. (Jordan’s clothing and Coulthard’s trousers for me!).

It has been interesting seeing on various social media the sheer amount of crowing over his "bad day at the office". I have a couple of friends who are occasional F1 fans who absolutely loathe HAM. I try to have a serious discussion with them and it just comes down to stupid stuff like comments early in his career or his love of a certain type music or his celebrity lifestyle. I even know one person who hates him as he knew HAM aged about 8 and he crashed into him on an RC race track FFS.

I really did not like Michael Schumacher and used to cheer when he binned it or suffered some misfortune (not skiing obviously) but always accepted then and now he was one of the greats with an amazing ability to drive right on the limit for lap after lap and he transformed the fitness of drivers as well as pioneering getting a whole team around him laser focused. I won't dwell on what I consider his shortcomings here but it seems "teh HAM haterz" cannot even drag a minor compliment out over him.

Well done, Max Verstappen.

At the other end of the field, I hope that Renault gave Daniel Ricciardo an awful lot of money to compensate for his current catastrophic performances. Think what he could have done in a Red Bull...

Just loved seeing how buzzed RUS was after nearly getting into Q2, he really is destroying KUB. I really hope Williams continue to improve or RUS gets into a much better car. I hope the paddock took note.

Just loved seeing how buzzed RUS was after nearly getting into Q2, he really is destroying KUB. I really hope Williams continue to improve or RUS gets into a much better car. I hope the paddock took note.

Pleased for Russell but we just can’t really judge him against a driver who’s effectively racing with one hand. If this prime Kubica pre accident then yeah. I’m not having a pop at Russel, he can only drive against who he’s partnered with but we just can’t measure Russell’s performance until he’s up against a fully fit driver.

I can understand Kubica's desire to return to f1 after such a horrific injury but, as with many comebacks, it can detract from previous achievements and tarnish the overall memory of the driver in the fans' minds. The Williams car of course isn't helping matters.

Really pleased for Max and the orange army though. Hope the race has a bit of excitement and isn't just a procession.

Caught some of the F1 today for the first time in years. Unusual race as the bit I saw contained actual racing and was quite exciting.

Was good to watch and even better to see the Ferrari's lagging behind. Best day ever.

Feel sorry for Max, but can't complain with our boy winning.

IanW always said that Honda usually gets there in the end, it just takes them a long time, given the way they choose to do things. It would appear that they are almost there. The Ferraris that were third and fourth were in an entirely different race, while the undoubted kings of the heap battled it out at the front.

That was Hamilton's 81st victory, only 10 short of Schumacher's record tally, something I previously regarded as unbeatable. But will Verstappen the coming man and his Honda power put a spoke in Hamilton's wheel?

advertisement

Back