advertisement

The 2019 F1 season.

5 second penalty for Lewis. Fair enough, he couldn't go against the the traffic just get round that bollard. Just needs to win by 6 seconds now!

And another possible penalty incoming...

It's great the way the rain can mix things up :eek::eek: What an entertaining race full of drama & just about anyone who stayed on the track could have won it.

They should run them all in the wet. Sounds like a crazy race from the live blog I was reading.

The trouble is, those clever F1 people would build incredible cars that race in the wet just like they race in the dry at the moment. There’s be no option to maybe or maybe not change to inters or slicks.

The trouble is, those clever F1 people would build incredible cars that race in the wet just like they race in the dry at the moment. There’s be no option to maybe or maybe not change to inters or slicks.

Surely they can only do so much though when the limit is down to the unpredictability of a constantly changing surface? That and the variance of skilled wet weather driving between the drivers seemingly being far greater than that of on a dry circuit.

It certainly sorts the men from the boys and seems to mess with programming of the robots in the cockpit.

Surely they can only do so much though when the limit is down to the unpredictability of a constantly changing surface? That and the variance of skilled wet weather driving between the drivers seemingly being far greater than that of on a dry circuit.

It certainly sorts the men from the boys and seems to mess with programming of the robots in the cockpit.

My point is that if, for example, you soak the race track artificially, and you don’t allow it to dry, then the designers will work with that. Today’s race was wet at the start, but the cars are all dry track cars. Almost nothing can be changed after Q3, so you’re not seeing wet-track specials, just hotchpotch dry cars on wet tyres.

Watch WRC cars on wet tarmac. They’re on rails.

It won't happen, but if they'd suspend DRS on wet tracks we'd get much better racing, surely? It's not as barmy as 'Fanboost' I suppose, but couldn't we manage without it in the rain?

Maybe Bernie was right about having randomly operated sprinklers on the corners!

I only watched C4 highlights but it appeared that the outside of the final (?) corner had a slick shiny surface where, apparently, drag racers had been starting up the opposite direction and laying huge amounts of rubber on the run off area of the track. Once wet with rain that became, in the words of the commentator, a "skidpan".

As such is not a valid point that the organisers had not prepared a circuit suitable for F1 racing and the results of this race should be declared null and void?

Just asking!

Maybe Bernie was right about having randomly operated sprinklers on the corners!

I only watched C4 highlights but it appeared that the outside of the final (?) corner had a slick shiny surface where, apparently, drag racers had been starting up the opposite direction and laying huge amounts of rubber on the run off area of the track. Once wet with rain that became, in the words of the commentator, a "skidpan".

As such is not a valid point that the organisers had not prepared a circuit suitable for F1 racing and the results of this race should be declared null and void?

Just asking!

Lol, no, just no. It was outside of track limits, if you cant stay within limits, go slower, if you don't, take your chances.

Apparently Lewis had full on flu so wasn’t fully on his game.

The interview I saw with him on Saturday he sounded dreadful, but he still hasn't really used it as an excuse. Thing is he only really made one error (the spin towards the end was probably frustration), but on a wet track that's all it needs. Up to then he'd been his usual sublime self in the wet. If the resultant pit stop had been quicker or Merc had put him on the right tyres he'd probably still have won the race quite comfortably.

Verstappen may have won the race and is without doubt a massive talent that shows through even more in the wet, but the difference was when he spun he didn't hit anything unlike Lewis and to an even greater extent LeClerc. That is where wet races always have an element of luck and even the greatest wet weather drivers make mistakes (Schumacher in Brazil, Hamilton yesterday, Senna in Adelaide) but over time they will win enough wet or changeable races to prove they're a cut above and I think Verstappen is heading in that direction.

For me the best things about yesterday's result were seeing Vettel on the podium, Kyvat next to him and two Honda engined cars in the top 3. I think we're in for a cracking last part of the season as the top 3 teams are closing up and the mid field is as tight as ever. Obviously Hamilton is still the favourite for the WC, but it would be great if he can be pushed.

Final word on Hamilton as I know a lot don't like him and call him arrogant and petulant, but yesterday after the race instead of whining he held his hand up and said he'd had a bad day at the office and then went on to say he was so happy to see Vettel on the podium and Kyvat too.... that was a genuine comment about two fellow drivers who'd had different difficulties in the sport and a classy thing to say. Yes many will say it's easy to say with a huge championship lead, but at least he said it.

The interview I saw with him on Saturday he sounded dreadful, but he still hasn't really used it as an excuse. Thing is he only really made one error (the spin towards the end was probably frustration), but on a wet track that's all it needs. Up to then he'd been his usual sublime self in the wet. If the resultant pit stop had been quicker or Merc had put him on the right tyres he'd probably still have won the race quite comfortably.

Verstappen may have won the race and is without doubt a massive talent that shows through even more in the wet, but the difference was when he spun he didn't hit anything unlike Lewis and to an even greater extent LeClerc. That is where wet races always have an element of luck and even the greatest wet weather drivers make mistakes (Schumacher in Brazil, Hamilton yesterday, Senna in Adelaide) but over time they will win enough wet or changeable races to prove they're a cut above and I think Verstappen is heading in that direction.

For me the best things about yesterday's result were seeing Vettel on the podium, Kyvat next to him and two Honda engined cars in the top 3. I think we're in for a cracking last part of the season as the top 3 teams are closing up and the mid field is as tight as ever. Obviously Hamilton is still the favourite for the WC, but it would be great if he can be pushed.

Final word on Hamilton as I know a lot don't like him and call him arrogant and petulant, but yesterday after the race instead of whining he held his hand up and said he'd had a bad day at the office and then went on to say he was so happy to see Vettel on the podium and Kyvat too.... that was a genuine comment about two fellow drivers who'd had different difficulties in the sport and a classy thing to say. Yes many will say it's easy to say with a huge championship lead, but at least he said it.

Haters are gonna hate no matter what. Lewis is a great example of a fine British sportsperson, and should have far more credit over here than he gets.

advertisement

Back