advertisement

The 2019 F1 season.

Talking about Schumacher anyone any idea how he is? Since the skiing accident he seems entirely forgotten, even blanked with never a mention made on the F1 coverage beyond his legacy. I’d have thought there would have been some features on his progress etc.

Talking about Schumacher anyone any idea how he is? Since the skiing accident he seems entirely forgotten, even blanked with never a mention made on the F1 coverage beyond his legacy. I’d have thought there would have been some features on his progress etc.

The information about his condition is a closely guarded family secret with only very close visitors like Jean Todt. Given his terrible head injury whilst skiing, the prognosis was abysmal from the start. His family are caring for him at home with round the clock nursing. I wish that I were to be proved wrong, but his head injury is irrecoverable :(

Ricciardo now has a month off to ponder whether his new vast wealth was worth it to throw away a competitive drive.

As topoxforddoc said, it is the most closely guarded information of all time in F1. There is an ongoing thread on the Autosport forum that gets a bump every so often and it is clear no-one who knows for real is saying anything. I had heard (F1 forum second hand info so pretty suspect) that anyone even asking questions about it publicly to members of the Schumacher family gets blacklisted. Corinna Schumacher apparently has the final say who can visit Michael and that list is not a long one.

The information about his condition is a closely guarded family secret with only very close visitors like Jean Todt. Given his terrible head injury whilst skiing, the prognosis was abysmal from the start. His family are caring for him at home with round the clock nursing. I wish that I were to be proved wrong, but his head injury is irrecoverable :(

Jean Todt commented after the German GP:

...“I'm always careful with such statements, but it's true. I saw the race together with Michael Schumacher at his home in Switzerland,” Todt said.

He added that the 50-year-old is making “good progress”.

“Michael is in the best hands and is well looked after in his house.

“He does not give up and keeps fighting.”

“His family is fighting just as much and of course our friendship cannot be the same as it once was,” Todt added.

“Just because there's no longer the same communication as before.

“He continues to fight. And his family is fighting the same way..."

The bit about communication seems to be the most telling.

Rack Kit,

I think your digressing from my original quote, nothing to do with WC winning races and championships in a bad car ?

Regards,

Martin

The fastest pit stop was 21.164 by VER so think HAM would have been ahead but yes very close and Merc seemed to have edge in pace so no change.

I agree that if GAS had been there 20 secs back, Merc would probably not have risked the stop.

All good points. The other factor not included so far is the speed of the in lap and out lap which is where more than the pitstop or tyre difference created lap time difference can be recovered.

So at the moment I would say most likely no effect on the race, but I will have a look at the actual actual times for all relevant parts and see if that remains a realistic conclusion.

Hats off to Ham but Schumacher did that feat 21 years ago in an inferior Ferrari car to the Maclaren Mercedes.

Regards,

Martin

Just saw this video on Autosport website comparing the two feats:

I remember it of course but I had forgotten that SCH had not overtaken anyone to do this and clearly had a car advantage c/w McLaren despite your assertion and relied on the pit-stops to do his passing. I appreciate he did not have DRS either.

I remember it of course but I had forgotten that SCH had not overtaken anyone to do this and clearly had a car advantage c/w McLaren despite your assertion and relied on the pit-stops to do his passing. I appreciate he did not have DRS either.

Exactly, Ferrari for a variety of reasons had the fastest car. Ross Brawn told me when he joined Honda F1 that he was dissapointed that people mistakenly thought that the McLaren was the faster car. He was pleased that our objective analysis at the time showed the Ferrari to be quicker, where they were quicker, and the most likely reasons why they were quicker.

Despite using pitstops to pass cars, they were actually quite weak on strategy when Ross was there.

Not sure why the pundits are always putting a downer on Bottas ,he has performed well and outqualified Hamilton a few times so why replace him ? Far better for lewis to have a strong no 2 consistantly gaining team points than a young upstart trying to crash his way to victory in an agressive manner possibly taking Hamilton out in some races .

Not sure why the pundits are always putting a downer on Bottas ,he has performed well and outqualified Hamilton a few times so why replace him ? Far better for lewis to have a strong no 2 consistantly gaining team points than a young upstart trying to crash his way to victory in an agressive manner possibly taking Hamilton out in some races .

Pundits love to have a downer of someone dontcha know!

The Bottas vs Ocon topic is not easy at all but ultimately Merc (all F1 teams) need a second driver to be right there to pick up the pieces when the other one is having a bad day or has a failure. BOT is often there and clearly is a wicked fast driver who was ahead of HAM in qualy in the first 6 races and he is no slouch, trouble is there is more to it than that. I would suggest most of the grid would be fast in the Merc but you need to limit the off days and be able to lift your game when you need to. Rosberg did this as did Button and Alonso (other HAM team mates) but BOT is not quite there.

Can he do it? Not convinced, he has had a fair shot at it over the past 3 years so why not give OCO a go. He is fast, has good history when up against Sainz who I rate highly and has shown signs of lifting his game. He does not have a crashing reputation but it is very different when you are in a top team and the pressure is on, just ask GAS.

It will be a balance of what you know and works well vs an unknown and the potential for something better.

I do think Ocon is a fast driver but has a tendency for wheel banging with his team mate and not following team orders so not sure he is a good choice at this point . He does deserve a drive so I think he needs to prove himself as a team player with another outfit before getting the Mercedes call up

Ricciardo now has a month off to ponder whether his new vast wealth was worth it to throw away a competitive drive.

Now that the 'Silly Season' is in full swing, Mark Hughes has written up a great rumour: Vettel in a Red Bull next year and Ricciardo in a Ferrari. All speculation of course, but two old school/young gun combinations closing the gap to Mercedes could be excellent.

Now that the 'Silly Season' is in full swing, Mark Hughes has written up a great rumour: Vettel in a Red Bull next year and Ricciardo in a Ferrari. All speculation of course, but two old school/young gun combinations closing the gap to Mercedes could be excellent.

RIC joining LEC in a fezza!!!!! I might even start liking them, that would be amazing. VET would be mad to go up against VER in the tin can car company currently, he would be ruined.

Red Bull tends to promote from within their own system don't they?

Yeah they do generally, BOT would be a good move for RB but would he want to do the same job for another superstar just in a different team.

advertisement

Back