advertisement

System Pics 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I heard M40 in a very large room, I was amazed the level of boom was annoying, unbelievable people pay asking price for such slow bas notes.
Which M40 though? I've never heard any of them, but seen reports that bass is much tighter on M40.2 and M40.3 than the earlier M40.1. And boom can be a room problem rather than inherent in the speaker.

You are considering €10K speakers without hearing them first ?
Thats kind of brave.

I've heard them in two or three different room (large and medium) shows over the years.
Typically people left room looking strange at each other, I'm sure they didn't understand it either.
One of the occasions it was AS himself doing the demo, his false smile could't hide the fact that he was aware of the disaster why people left in a hurry.
The lack of bas control and overall, "too much politeness" of these speakers are certainly not my taste, even they often do have a lovely midrange admittedly.
Whether it was mk1 or 2 or how many editions he created, I have no idea.

OTOH speaking with AS, or on the HUG brainwash place, its impossible to bring up any constructive critic or issues, so I just leave it there.
Some people get annoyed or feel insulted if you allow yourself to express own opinion.
On HUG you simply are shown the door as with some FB groups too..- quite silly behavior imo, at some point this will hit back to regime.

Heard several editions of SHL5, both private and at shows, same issue, slow bas-notes, boom if too close to any furniture/walls.
Thats fully acceptable I think if it was budget speakers, you can hardly say budget and Harbeth XD in same sentence.

The best Harbeths I've heard was P3esr and even more the M30 editions, I would however choose Grahams though, these people seem to be more into tech. than marketing songs.

In the market for expensive large Harbeths ? definitely get them home into their intended place before shifting your cash.

See below for video of my system, with new Harbeth 40.3 XD recently added
Nice setup!

I'm curious if you experience any bass boom or overhang/ringing with the speakers so close to the corners? (Whenever I see a speaker near a bare corner of a room I instinctively want to throw an absorber in there!)

I had been contemplating moving from SHL5+ Anni to M40.3. What room size do you have, if you don't mind my asking?

Hi there,
My room is relatively small, approx 12ft by 10ft and they work perfectly, no bass/boom issues... most probably my last speakers.
You're correct re the bass being much tighter than previous models.
Mac

Nice setup!

I'm curious if you experience any bass boom or overhang/ringing with the speakers so close to the corners? (Whenever I see a speaker near a bare corner of a room I instinctively want to throw an absorber in there!)

Hi, cheers.
None at all, but like all set ups, all aspects have to be taken into account... matching kit and type of floor etc
Some people just have a real hang up with Harbeth and let their dislike of the creater get in the way of these quality speakers... worth every penny, I might add
Mac

Heard several editions of SHL5, both private and at shows, same issue, slow bas-notes, boom if too close to any furniture/walls.
Thats fully acceptable I think if it was budget speakers, you can hardly say budget and Harbeth XD in same sentence.

I used to have the SHL5 (pre plus) and while I liked to overall sound, they did have a noticeable bass boom in my room. The SLH5+ anniversary (which is probably very close in sound to the SHL5+ XD, at least according to various commentators) is altogether a much better speaker. Much more transparent and dynamic sounding, and (at least in my room) without the boom, and with better imaging.

Hi there,
My room is relatively small, approx 12ft by 10ft and they work perfectly, no bass/boom issues... most probably my last speakers.
You're correct re the bass being much tighter than previous models.
Mac

Am I right that you also tried the M40.2 ? Just wondering how they compare with M40.3 XD, as I may have an opportunity to acquire a pair of these.

Hi there,
My room is relatively small, approx 12ft by 10ft and they work perfectly, no bass/boom issues...
I don't want to offend you! That is impossible because every room has room modes and small rooms even more and closer together.
I have room modes with a SHL5 and a C7 XD in a bigger room (14,73 feet x 10,35 feet).
You have room modes at: 47Hz, 94Hz, 141Hz, 189Hz and 56,5Hz, 113Hz, 169,5Hz, 226Hz plus the vertical modes.

I'm sure he means no obvious boom issues. When I measure the response of my system (REW) it is clear there are substantial modes, but not obviously subjectively intrusive. Not sure objectively how large they need to be to be "obvious", and this may of course change with source material, and differ from person to person. Of course, that's not to say the overall sound quality wouldn't be better without it.

I do know that in my room (3.8m wide, 5.4m long) an "obvious" boom disappeared when changing from SHL5 to SHL5+ anniversary.

As I alluded to above I have a possible opportunity to change to M40.2 or even M40.2 anniversary, but won't have a chance to try at home first. By all accounts a considerable upgrade, but I'm not sure it would be wise without trying first.

So far I'm pretty impressed but there still running in ,I did have a nightmare pairing them up to my google home app they just didn't want to known
at first but I got there in the end ,

Being bookshelf speakers I'm blown away with just how low they go (25Hz), at first the bass was a little boomy in my small room
But the hub's built in room correction sorted that all out for me.
I have yet to try the different matertunings my ones are running the stock 01 but I fancy trying the 3 way one and the 02 later

Compared to my old ATC SCM40 these sound much warmer and far better at lower volumes which suits my smaller room

Very interesting, thanks for sharing. I'm using an ATC surround set-up (SCM40, C3C and SCM11 - all the previous model), with an Marantz processor and Parasound amp. I'm beginning to find it all taking up a lot of space, and that I'm using the surround less and less, and that the costs if I want to update the set-up prohibitive (processor, 5 channels of amplification, speakers).

I'm liking the idea of all these new active speakers in the market nowadays, especially with DSP and room correction options. Just add a nice streamer in front and something to plug HDMI from your TV in, and you have an unobtrusive high-quality set for music and film/TV use. Potentially I'd add a simpler AV receiver and some smaller speakers if I'd want to keep a surround set-up. That market is so competitive that you can get decent quality for a little outlay, and also as I find myself less critical (and also less using) regarding surround sound quality.

My room is about 46 m2 / 496 sq ft so the A500 might be a bit too small for that?

Last edited:
Am I right that you also tried the M40.2 ? Just wondering how they compare with M40.3 XD, as I may have an opportunity to acquire a pair of these.

Yes, I did have the 40.2 for a few months, but they had a problem strictly of the Company's own making and they extremely kindly let me have the 40.3 by way of apology.
The 40.2 were very good, but lacked the dynamics and clarity of the new model... still no boom issues though.
Hope this helps... I live in the SE of England and you're welcome to have a listen any time.
Mac

I don't want to offend you! That is impossible because every room has room modes and small rooms even more and closer together.
I have room modes with a SHL5 and a C7 XD in a bigger room (14,73 feet x 10,35 feet).
You have room modes at: 47Hz, 94Hz, 141Hz, 189Hz and 56,5Hz, 113Hz, 169,5Hz, 226Hz plus the vertical modes.
No offense taken, but I can only tell you what I hear and wouldn't have anything to gain by exaggerating.
There may well be modes, but being blind, I can't use a device to measure... if there are, they certainly don't spoil my listening enjoyment.
Mac

My office system. I have two versions. See my thread about damage to my Dali Menuet SE https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/thr...menuet-se-speakers.250983/page-4#post-4251302 for why.

The images below are the version for teenager use:

IMG-20210602-110127.jpg

IMG-20210602-110136.jpg

IMG-20210602-110151.jpg

System is: Dali Spektor 2, with Gato Dia 250S integrated amp and Opera Consonance CD120. Also got a Bluesound node 2i behind the TV.

When I have the room back to myself the Menuet SE's return:

IMG-20210615-221342.jpg

IMG-20210616-113750.jpg

IMG-20210616-113759.jpg

IMG-20210616-113808.jpg

IMG-20210616-113820.jpg

Have to say that the Dali Spektors are really good for the money, I paid £160 for them new.

Best wishes, Peter

Yes, I did have the 40.2 for a few months, but they had a problem strictly of the Company's own making and they extremely kindly let me have the 40.3 by way of apology.
The 40.2 were very good, but lacked the dynamics and clarity of the new model... still no boom issues though.
Hope this helps... I live in the SE of England and you're welcome to have a listen any time.
Mac

Thanks for the offer. Roughly whereabouts are you? I live in Suffolk, so might be possible if not too far. (Don't get too detailed in location info, should really do via PM, once I can remember how to send one!)

My office system. I have two versions. See my thread about damage to my Dali Menuet SE https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/thr...menuet-se-speakers.250983/page-4#post-4251302 for why.

The images below are the version for teenager use:

IMG-20210602-110127.jpg

IMG-20210602-110136.jpg

IMG-20210602-110151.jpg

System is: Dali Spektor 2, with Gato Dia 250S integrated amp and Opera Consonance CD120. Also got a Bluesound node 2i behind the TV.

When I have the room back to myself the Menuet SE's return:

IMG-20210615-221342.jpg

IMG-20210616-113750.jpg

IMG-20210616-113759.jpg

IMG-20210616-113808.jpg

IMG-20210616-113820.jpg

Have to say that the Dali Spektors are really good for the money, I paid £160 for them new.

Best wishes, Peter

Looks like a nice setup. I ran a Gato DIA 250 for several years. Best integrated amplifier I ever owned in terms of sound and build quality. Lovely thing to use too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back