advertisement

System Pics 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very interesting, thanks for sharing. I'm using an ATC surround set-up (SCM40, C3C and SCM11 - all the previous model), with an Marantz processor and Parasound amp. I'm beginning to find it all taking up a lot of space, and that I'm using the surround less and less, and that the costs if I want to update the set-up prohibitive (processor, 5 channels of amplification, speakers).

I'm liking the idea of all these new active speakers in the market nowadays, especially with DSP and room correction options. Just add a nice streamer in front and something to plug HDMI from your TV in, and you have an unobtrusive high-quality set for music and film/TV use. Potentially I'd add a simpler AV receiver and some smaller speakers if I'd want to keep a surround set-up. That market is so competitive that you can get decent quality for a little outlay, and also as I find myself less critical (and also less using) regarding surround sound quality.

My room is about 46 m2 / 496 sq ft so the A500 might be a bit too small for that?

If you get a new LG TV with WISA built in you don't even need an AV amp as the tele will send the signal to each speaker without need for the AV processor
plus the hub works with Tidal and apple and qobuz and more ,
They do also make a bigger floor standing speaker the A700 which may suit you size room better

Just settled these in:

MOoOzAo.jpg

Sonus Faber Sonetto III

Very impressed so far.

If you get a new LG TV with WISA built in you don't even need an AV amp as the tele will send the signal to each speaker without need for the AV processor
plus the hub works with Tidal and apple and qobuz and more ,
They do also make a bigger floor standing speaker the A700 which may suit you size room better

Thanks. I need to read up a bit more how to integrate surround and stereo, conventional speakers and active (or WISA) etc. No big rush, just curious to work toward a new solution in due time.

That's a lovely PTP deck.
I have a 'standard' chassis Lenco in a decent plinth, with upgraded bearing and lots of care taken in the drivetrain.
It sounds wonderful but I'd really like to move to a PTP ultimately.
Corian seems to be emerging as the preferred plinth material, or panzerholz (if available). I think that's the way I'd end up going if/when.
There is information in the public domain about the damping factors of Corian and Panzerholz. Corian’s is pants whereas Panzerholz is about as good as it gets. Disclosure: I sell Panzerholz, but that doesn’t change the facts.

There is information in the public domain about the damping factors of Corian and Panzerholz. Corian’s is pants whereas Panzerholz is about as good as it gets. Disclosure: I sell Panzerholz, but that doesn’t change the facts.
You may well be right. However, my corian plinthed PTP is still the best turntable I have owned by far - much better than the Michell Orbe, LP12/Keel, AMG Viella, Kuzma Stabi Reference and Rega P10, all of which I have owned. So if it's "pants", then its great sounding pants!

P1010614.jpg

Probably time to update the system, since there have been a few changes.

P1010002.jpg
P1010004.jpg
P1010005.jpg
P1010016.jpg

The main change is the replacement of the Graham LS6s and LS3/5s with the Neat Ekstras. Over the last few years I have used a number of variations on the BBC school of speakers from Graham and Harbeth - M30.1 and M30.2, Graham LS5/9, LS6, and LS3/5 with and without Sub 3. I decided to I wanted to move away from that sound for a while, and listened to a few different speakers. I initially thought I wanted Focal Sopra 1s, but when I heard them in the store (with my amp) they had me running from the room - a quite coarse sound with a treble so prominent it almost reached out and smacked me in the head. The Dynaudio Confidence 20 in the same store sounded much better and I was almost tempted to buy them, but Dynaudios have never lasted long in my system in the past, so I was wary. I borrowed the Neat Ekstras for a home dem and thought they sounded fantastic. I initially was interested in the Neat Ultimatum series, but they were too big for my room and, when I heard the XL6, I thought it sounded quite bright and rather fatiguing. It was a relief to find that I actually preferred the much less expensive Ekstras, which not only sounded better to me, but are a perfect match for my small room. They sound great in nearfield and at low levels (which is how I mostly listen) but also sound equally good at higher volumes. Bass is deep and very tight and fast, not at all boomy in my small room. The ribbon tweeter - which is where I have had issues with Neat speakers in the past - sounds detailed but not prominent, and very sweet and smooth. The Ekstras also have some of the Harbeth/Graham rich midrange, and are not harsh with poor recordings, while still sounding fast and dynamic where required. Overall, I have been very pleasantly surprised by these speakers and am very happy with them. The LS6s have been sold but I will keep the LS3/5 which I still love.

I have swapped out my LFD amp for the Exposure 5010 pre and monos which I have owned for a few years and which I was using in the living room. The LFD is a great amp, but on balance I prefer the presentation of the Exposures, particularly as I have been using Exposure amps in various forms for over 25 years, and have always loved the sound. The new series have a more neutral, detailed and refined sound but retain enough of the Farlowe era DNA to be musical and engaging. The extra headroom of 200 watts also helps.

The DAC is my go-to Mytek Manhattan II. For some reason I just love this DAC. I have owned some more expensive DACs, including the Chord DAVE/M Scaler, Lumin X1 and most recently the Nagra HD Dac (upgraded to Tube Dac internals), but somehow always come back to the Mytek, which I have used for a few years now. The Nagra was really overkill for this system and although it sounded fantastic and was better in so many ways, I could not justify keeping it without upgrading the rest of the system so have decided to sell it and just use the Mytek.

Last time I posted I was running two turntables and three phono stages. The second turntable, a Rega P8, has been boxed and put in storage. I never really used it, the PTP is so much better. The P8 is still a great turntable which I could happily live with, but I really only need one.

I was alternating between the Rega Aura, Tron Convergence Signature/EAR MC4 and Whest 40RDTSE phono stages. I am now just using the Whest, which is the best of them (although the Tron/EAR is close). The Rega Aura has now been sold, and the Tron will be brought out for a listen from time to time.

The cartridge is an Ortofon Cadenza Black. I was using a Benz Ruby Z which I liked, although it was a bit coloured. The Ortofon is completely uncoloured, an excellent tracker and sounds very detailed and neutral while still remaining on the right side of "musical". I also have a Cadenza Bronze which I like, but on balance prefer the neutrality of the Black. Even so, I have ordered a Windfeld Ti and will be curious to see how it improves on the Cadenza Black.

They sound great in nearfield and at low levels (which is how I mostly listen)
I guess you listen in midfield (1,8m-3,0m) otherwise I would recommend to turn in the speaker because you will lose to much HF in nearfield with this setup like showed in the pictures.:)

BTW: Nice paintings.:)

Do you mean for say 2m the speakers should point straight at you? I thought that narrowed the image.

I guess you listen in midfield (1,8m-3,0m) otherwise I would recommend to turn in the speaker because you will lose to much HF in nearfield with this setup like showed in the pictures.:)
I've tried a number of different positions and this seems to work the best. I sit at 1.5m from the plane of the speakers. The speakers are also quite tall so I am also seated well below the height of the tweeters. It doesn't seem to make much difference - perhaps the ribbon tweeter is less directional (?).

Probably time to update the system, since there have been a few changes.

P1010002.jpg
P1010004.jpg
P1010005.jpg
P1010016.jpg

The main change is the replacement of the Graham LS6s and LS3/5s with the Neat Ekstras. Over the last few years I have used a number of variations on the BBC school of speakers from Graham and Harbeth - M30.1 and M30.2, Graham LS5/9, LS6, and LS3/5 with and without Sub 3. I decided to I wanted to move away from that sound for a while, and listened to a few different speakers. I initially thought I wanted Focal Sopra 1s, but when I heard them in the store (with my amp) they had me running from the room - a quite coarse sound with a treble so prominent it almost reached out and smacked me in the head. The Dynaudio Confidence 20 in the same store sounded much better and I was almost tempted to buy them, but Dynaudios have never lasted long in my system in the past, so I was wary. I borrowed the Neat Ekstras for a home dem and thought they sounded fantastic. I initially was interested in the Neat Ultimatum series, but they were too big for my room and, when I heard the XL6, I thought it sounded quite bright and rather fatiguing. It was a relief to find that I actually preferred the much less expensive Ekstras, which not only sounded better to me, but are a perfect match for my small room. They sound great in nearfield and at low levels (which is how I mostly listen) but also sound equally good at higher volumes. Bass is deep and very tight and fast, not at all boomy in my small room. The ribbon tweeter - which is where I have had issues with Neat speakers in the past - sounds detailed but not prominent, and very sweet and smooth. The Ekstras also have some of the Harbeth/Graham rich midrange, and are not harsh with poor recordings, while still sounding fast and dynamic where required. Overall, I have been very pleasantly surprised by these speakers and am very happy with them. The LS6s have been sold but I will keep the LS3/5 which I still love.

I have swapped out my LFD amp for the Exposure 5010 pre and monos which I have owned for a few years and which I was using in the living room. The LFD is a great amp, but on balance I prefer the presentation of the Exposures, particularly as I have been using Exposure amps in various forms for over 25 years, and have always loved the sound. The new series have a more neutral, detailed and refined sound but retain enough of the Farlowe era DNA to be musical and engaging. The extra headroom of 200 watts also helps.

The DAC is my go-to Mytek Manhattan II. For some reason I just love this DAC. I have owned some more expensive DACs, including the Chord DAVE/M Scaler, Lumin X1 and most recently the Nagra HD Dac (upgraded to Tube Dac internals), but somehow always come back to the Mytek, which I have used for a few years now. The Nagra was really overkill for this system and although it sounded fantastic and was better in so many ways, I could not justify keeping it without upgrading the rest of the system so have decided to sell it and just use the Mytek.

Last time I posted I was running two turntables and three phono stages. The second turntable, a Rega P8, has been boxed and put in storage. I never really used it, the PTP is so much better. The P8 is still a great turntable which I could happily live with, but I really only need one.

I was alternating between the Rega Aura, Tron Convergence Signature/EAR MC4 and Whest 40RDTSE phono stages. I am now just using the Whest, which is the best of them (although the Tron/EAR is close). The Rega Aura has now been sold, and the Tron will be brought out for a listen from time to time.

The cartridge is an Ortofon Cadenza Black. I was using a Benz Ruby Z which I liked, although it was a bit coloured. The Ortofon is completely uncoloured, an excellent tracker and sounds very detailed and neutral while still remaining on the right side of "musical". I also have a Cadenza Bronze which I like, but on balance prefer the neutrality of the Black. Even so, I have ordered a Windfeld Ti and will be curious to see how it improves on the Cadenza Black.
Nice system, be very interested what you think of the Windfeld, I have the Cadenza Bronze on 1200G bought in pref to the Black, almost bought the Windfeld recently as an upgrade but fancied something different so have gone for a Kleos SL.

Did you demo/compare the Manhatten phono stage to the Whest etc?

Nice system, be very interested what you think of the Windfeld, I have the Cadenza Bronze on 1200G bought in pref to the Black, almost bought the Windfeld recently as an upgrade but fancied something different so have gone for a Kleos SL.

Did you demo/compare the Manhatten phono stage to the Whest etc?
I can certainly see why you might have preferred the Bronze. What do you think of the Kleos? I had the original version some years ago and found it a little bland, but Lyra cartridges generally don't seem to suit my tastes, having owned a few of them over the years.

The Windfeld seems to have some design elements in common with the Bronze, so I am hoping it will have the detail and accuracy of the Black with a bit more body and dynamics. I'm expecting it in a few weeks so will post some comments once it has run in.

I have compared the phono stage in the Manhattan to the Whest and it is actually extremely good. I can think of a number of quite expensive phono stages which aren't as good. The Whest is better, as you would expect, but the Manhattan comes surprisingly close.

Lovely system indeed Ross, I’m sure it sounds phenomenal.

Since the 5010 series came along I’ve been curious as to how they compare to the 16s and if I recall correctly you had 16s so would love to hear your take. Obviously both are at a very high level I’m just wondering if there are any obvious strengths/weaknesses with either?

Enjoy your system!

Do you mean for say 2m the speakers should point straight at you? I thought that narrowed the image.
If the speakers have a too big distance between each other compared to the listening distance you will (in most cases) loose HF.

I am also seated well below the height of the tweeters. It doesn't seem to make much difference - perhaps the ribbon tweeter is less directional (?).
Only horizontal, vertical quite the opposite.

Lovely system indeed Ross, I’m sure it sounds phenomenal.

Since the 5010 series came along I’ve been curious as to how they compare to the 16s and if I recall correctly you had 16s so would love to hear your take. Obviously both are at a very high level I’m just wondering if there are any obvious strengths/weaknesses with either?

Enjoy your system!
Thanks, Frank. I have owned both, but not at the same time, so can't compare them directly. The 16s are monsters, and although "only" 120 watts they had enough current to drive anything. They drew so much current that they tripped the fuses of mu house every time I turned them on and had to have soft-start circuits installed! They were great sounding amps, but warmer and fuller than the current series. The 5010s sound a bit more "modern" - more neutral, cleaner, more accurate, but also very powerful and dynamic, with a bit of the old Exposure warmth. The 16s were great and I could happily live with another pair, but these days I think I prefer the 5010 which suits more speakers and still sounds very musical.

Yes, I did have the 40.2 for a few months, but they had a problem strictly of the Company's own making and they extremely kindly let me have the 40.3 by way of apology.
The 40.2 were very good, but lacked the dynamics and clarity of the new model... still no boom issues though.
Hope this helps... I live in the SE of England and you're welcome to have a listen any time.
Mac

Do you have room treatments in your room at all Sir?:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back