advertisement

Sugden Connoisseur - lost classic? (part II)

davidsrsb & martin clark

Thanks to both of you for your comments and suggestions about flutterbuster safety. I take these very seriously.

My own setup is that I have a plug-in circuit breaker into the wall socket. A Lynwood Mains Conditioner is plugged into this. The parts list and schematic of this conditioner was kept confidential by David Rusby its designer and manufacturer. An internal box is potted in epoxy. However it does contain a big and heavy transformer. I assume, without any factual backup, that this is an isolation transformer. At any rate Rusby has said that his unit has saved equipment plugged into it from destruction, though its stated purpose is to purify the mains supply for hi fi equipment.

My 2.5mm extension cable is plugged into the Lynwood conditioner, and the flutterbuster into the extension. The turntable gets plugged into the flutterbuster.

When I am not using the turntable, but am listening to my tuner on the same extension, I now physically unplug the flutterbuster and do not use the on/off/on switch on it for any purpose other than speed change.

As indicated previously, the entire flat is protected by a modern circuit breaker installed inside the fuse box.

I would be interested in your comments on the safety of this setup.

Getting better and not too bad if the Lynwood is an isolation transformer. I don't like to depend on ELCBs, they degrade over time and their trip current in some cicumstances may be lethal anyway

I use the plug-in- RCCB as an ON/OFF switch for the entire hi fi, so that when I am not listening to the system the test switch on the RCCB has been pushed and no power goes into anything.

Two questions arise that I would appreciate comment on:

1) Given that 240V goes into the Lynwood Mains Conditioner and 240V comes out if it and given that this conditioner contains a large and heavy transformer (unmarked) could the transformer be anything other than a 1:1 isolation transformer?

2) At what interval would you suggest replacing a plug- in RCCB as a safety precaution against its deterioration?

I finally found some time to do a little work on my BD2. It's now sat in a hardwood (Rimu) case, with the plinth sat on 4 squash balls, for a little isolation.

Last step will be to add a new Jelco headshell with a Grace F-9 in it. Also, need to cover the holes where the old arm was. I have another slim piece of old Matai hardwood, but not sold on the look. Might just go for a plain black sheet of thin ABS or something.

Anyway, it's working, but does have an earthing issue, so I'll probably have to get a sparky to look at it. It's got an old school 2 core power cable, so I want to put a 3 core one on there and ground things out properly.

YhbsVrg.jpg

I recently had the pleasure of talking to Mr Dennis Burke (of Technical & General) while researching information about a Connoisseur BD3 turntable and tonearm.

During our conversation, Mr Burke related a couple of anecdotes about Arnold Sugden who he had worked with.

Apparently, Yokshireman Arnold Sugden was the inventor of the first system capable of producing stereo reproduction using a single groove on vinyl records!
Dennis told me that there was a queue of people waiting to listen in wonder to Mr Sugden's system when it was first demonstrated at an audio exhibition in the UK in the 1950's, including some very big Companies from other parts of the world.

He also related how, when Dennis tackled him about the rather un-modern appearance of his turntables and the possible effect on sales, he replied "Eh Lad - it's not the way it looks but the way it works that's important".

Obviously a person with an unusual mind and quite a character by the sounds of it!

I would certainly be interested to learn more about him....

Cheers

Ian

Hi Everyone,

I have been most interested by this thread ever since it was started, I would like to gather some information on a later produced Connoisseur turntable;
The BD 102. There is apparently very little information to be found on that one
other than it is equiped with a 12 inches platter.

I would like to know if anyone knowledgable could indicate me if the motor is the same as the one on the bd2 and if could use the same rubber band device to hold the motor?

Any input would be most appreciated.

Hi Everyone,

I have been most interested by this thread ever since it was started, I would like to gather some information on a later produced Connoisseur turntable;
The BD 102. There is apparently very little information to be found on that one
other than it is equiped with a 12 inches platter.

I would like to know if anyone knowledgable could indicate me if the motor is the same as the one on the bd2 and if could use the same rubber band device to hold the motor?

Any input would be most appreciated.

Hi

I've only every heard of the BD 103, but I imagine the BD 102 must be related. These did feature a 'full-size' platter, and had a DC motor with an outboard transformer instead of the BD1/2's AC synchronous one, and speed change (33-45-78) using electronic switches. The design looks quite different from the BD1/2 series and the drive belt is probably different as well. There's some info at Vinyl Engine (http://www.vinylengine.com/library/connoisseur/bd103.shtml).

Connoisseur were at the end of their commercial life at the time, so the deck wasn't around for very long, I believe.

HTH

Mark

Hi Mark, sisyphe 66,

the BD102 doesn't have the DC motor, transformer, or 78 speed.
That's just the BD103.

I have a 102 or 101 can't quite remember which.
Yes 12 inch platter.
But the motor is the same synchronous one as the BD1.
So same rubber suspension system etc.
It's a smartly simple table like the BD1. Mine is re plinthed.
The drive belt is different. Smaller and under platter.
If you import your deck you need a different pully on the motor ,
IF it's from a country with different frequency mains to yours.
That's about it. A great turntable.

cheers,
Paul.

Hi

I've only every heard of the BD 103, but I imagine the BD 102 must be related. These did feature a 'full-size' platter, and had a DC motor with an outboard transformer instead of the BD1/2's AC synchronous one, and speed change (33-45-78) using electronic switches. The design looks quite different from the BD1/2 series and the drive belt is probably different as well. There's some info at Vinyl Engine (http://www.vinylengine.com/library/connoisseur/bd103.shtml).

Connoisseur were at the end of their commercial life at the time, so the deck wasn't around for very long, I believe.

HTH

Mark

Hi Mark , hi Pauly,

Thanks to both of you,

the BD102 has indeed a motor identical to that of the BD2 from what I can see. Mine, the one on the BD102, has this one difference from the regular BD2 that I have seen & heard, in that it seems to spin just a little faster than required...:confused: ... I am looking for a replacement.

It was originaly wired for the north american area.

As for the belt it is similar to that of the earlier BD2, but running underneath the plater and there is a small removable washer or metal plug that allows you to put back a belt and slip it onthe pulley.

Sisyphe.

Upon it's released the "Three Speed" was more expense than the Garrard 301. Crude in terms of casting he chassis of the Three Speed features many more ribs than the 301 making the structure more rigid, the bearing arrangement is interesting particularly the way it sits / mounts within the chassis. I have several of the original Brown hammer types one of which features a brown hammerite matching tonearm - The later Silver type 'B' three speeds are perhaps more cosmetically pleasing but I do rather like the Brown:

sisyphe 66

You say:
"...the BD102 has indeed a motor identical to that of the BD2 from what I can see. Mine, the one on the BD102, has this one difference from the regular BD2 that I have seen & heard, in that it seems to spin just a little faster than required... ... I am looking for a replacement....

I think you have the pulley size made for the American mains. I suggest that you contact T&G and purchase the pulley required for U.K. mains 220-240V.

If you have an old Connoisseur motor used in the U.K. just remove the pulley and try it on your BD102 to see if this is the problem solved.

I think you have the pulley size made for the American mains. I suggest that you contact T&G and purchase the pulley required for U.K. mains 220-240V.

If you have an old Connoisseur motor used in the U.K. just remove the pulley and try it on your BD102 to see if this is the problem solved.[/QUOTE]

Thank you eguth, I am located in Canada and on 60Hz mains. I beleieve I have the proper pulley as this turntable was exported to the North American area.

I beleive the Connoisseur was somehow more popular here then in U.S.A. It was cheaper then most other turntable when offered new, and it was a seen as a "quality" British product.

I have sent an email to T&G, as I could not get them on the phone.

sisyphe

I will receive one "as new" BD-1, with a fresh original belt, and one "for parts" BD-2 (headshell has a crack) next sunday. Seems as a great project this winter. This is a request for scans of the AC articles (Audio Conversions). If somebody could help me with this, I would be ever so grateful.

abbot

I am the author of the articles and hold the copyright. I had put the series of articles on the BD1 modifications on to pfm, available free of charge to everyone.

Unfortunately some have abused this, and so I asked Tony L to remove them, which he did. Permission is no longer granted for copies to be made.

Since then people have kept asking for copies. This is something I am prepared to do, but no longer free of charge since it takes my time away from other pursuits.

If you or anyone else wants me to provide scans please send me a pfm.

Best regards,

Eric (eguth)

Thank you Eric for letting me in. I appreciate it.
I did the meniscus test on a Beogram 1203 that I am converting into a RCM. It passed with flying colours. There is an idler wheel to the tapering motor shaft, and a round belt from a pulley above the wheel to the sub-platter. No music played during the test since I have no PU.

Although the meniscus test is designed primarily to test vibration transmission from motor to stylus via and through the platter, it may give a misleading result if it is not also carried out as an isolation test for the stylus.

To do this you need to be playing music- preferably including deep bass at good volume through a subwoofer.

advertisement

Back