advertisement

Sideways Uni-Pivot Arm, SUPATRAC Blackbird, formerly "Ekos Killer (Price?)"

I didn’t know/realise my cartridge was capable of this amount of bass. I never would’ve thought that the tonearm was holding it back!

Yes!
The core of my system has been stable for 2 years or so and I've had 5 arms on two DIY Lenco's and the this is the best it's sounded. My 10.5" Blackbird took over from an Audiomods 6 of the same length. That arm is great but it is gone now and I've a 12" Blackbird ordered. No regrets. I'm a convert.

On an STST Motus II in New Zealand...

motus1.jpg

motus2.jpg

Cartridge is a Mutech Hayabusa.

Is that a safe combo??? I thought Peregrine Falcons (Hayabusas) ate Blackbirds!!!

That's why it holds the Hayabusa at arm's length!

I'm more concerned with how many audio products I keep finding which are called Blackbird. I hadn't realised that it had been such a popular name for kit over the years. However, I think it works visually and it's too late to find another name now.

Yes, Richard has come up with a fantastic arm. I love it!

I look forward to playing a record more than ever. The way the music is presented is just "right", it flows, it's precise, solid, texturally vibrant. Phenomenal!

I can't figure out how to post a picture though.

I've seen some nice decks sporting a Blackbird recently. It looks quite congruous on a plain black plinth LP12:

stacksondek.jpg

...and here's a handsome white Pro-ject deck with matching SUPATRAC logo on the arm...

projectwhite1.jpg

projectwhite2.jpg

projectwhite3.jpg

This is probably the best picture so far of the mechanism.

projectwhite4.jpg

Thanks to my wonderful customers for taking photos and allowing me to share.

Last edited:
That's evolving nicely Richard! The chap with the Te Kaitora Rua on his "Blackbirded" LP12 had a nice lump of fluff on his stylus when he took the photo! If you don't mind me asking, what internal arm wire are you using? It looks like silk covered copper Litz from the pics. I've just used some recently for an arm rewire I did, looks similar stuff but I may be totally wrong.

That's evolving nicely Richard! The chap with the Te Kaitora Rua on his "Blackbirded" LP12 had a nice lump of fluff on his stylus when he took the photo! If you don't mind me asking, what internal arm wire are you using? It looks like silk covered copper Litz from the pics. I've just used some recently for an arm rewire I did, looks similar stuff but I may be totally wrong.

Yes, silk-covered 30-strand Litz, ideal for the perennially-flexing junction between arm and base. The trick is making sure that the parts which need to flex remain flexible despite the nearby soldered joints. The wire ends need careful treatment to ensure that all 30 strands connect because each strand is insulated by lacquer.

I'm also shipping a new inertia adjuster which is easier to install and move. It's more elegant than the clamping one. Still not heavy enough for Adam's Miyajima though:

IMG_8622.jpeg

I'm going to put a threaded hole in them so that a weight can be bolted on. I'm also improving the steel counterweights so they stack a bit more elegantly than this.

The trick is making sure that the parts which need to flex remain flexible despite the nearby soldered joints. The wire ends need careful treatment to ensure that all 30 strands connect because each strand is insulated by lacquer.

Thanks for confirming Richard. It certainly is tricky stuff to use and so fine too. I find it really good sound wise though.

I had a lovely day visiting a customer

Really can’t understand why this isn’t in the trade subforum? OP is a trade member and whole thread is now a thinly disguised advert. I have zero problems with that if it’s in the right place, but it isn’t. Are other Trade members cool with that?

I'm sure if Tony deems it improper, or the mods do they'll move it. Personally I think it's great that a new start-up with an entirely novel design is able to get exposure.

Do any other trade members make their own arms?

Really can’t understand why this isn’t in the trade subforum? OP is a trade member and whole thread is now a thinly disguised advert. I have zero problems with that if it’s in the right place, but it isn’t. Are other Trade members cool with that?
You posted the same thing back in January #466, why do you have a bug up your ass about this project, sounds like you aren’t even a trade member yourself? At least he’s been true to his word and delivered an end product on here, unlike certain DAC and Amp projects.

Personally I’ve found this thread extremely interesting and would not have seen it if it was over in the Trade sections, personally I have no issue with it staying exactly where it is and as TonyL has contributed to it and it’s still here presumably it’s not an issue for him and if it becomes one he’ll shift or lock it. For the record I am a Trade Member.

advertisement

Back