advertisement

Sideways Uni-Pivot Arm, SUPATRAC Blackbird, formerly "Ekos Killer (Price?)"

A Blackbird has been installed in Germany today, and the owner says...

"First of all installation was straightforward, [my friend] is a passionate (classic) unipivot disliker and he read through the instructions, got the principle & what works how and why even quicker than me. Given that's his profession that's not too astonishing, but he was very satisfied how straightforward he could dial in parameters and they stayed that way w/o necessity to come back and do it all again after later steps.

We installed the armcables, then the cart, gave it a roughly 1.7 grams which went rather simple and very quick, he set the azimuth, put the needlepoint precisely with the tabloid in the platter, controlled everything, slight correction of arm height... ...and long before I expected it, he said:
'That's it... ...very straightforward, we're ready to go!'

We put the needle onto my Analogue Productions 'Ben Webster at the Renaissance' record and from the first tones I thought: Whow... ...that's insanely good!

The arm is incredibly quick and delivers a clear window to portray all a cartridge is able to offer. Especially the texture of a snare drum felt or a tomtom, saxophone play was awesome...

...what I got presented appeared close to a miracle to me!

[My friend] did not say much, but I could see he was impressed. ( He enjoyed the music and said: that actually plays really well.. with one eyebrow up, indicating that- like me- he did not expect it to play THAT good...)

This arm does not behave, react or sound like something somebody knocked together on his workbench. Despite no dials with numbers anywhere and a visual appearance as if everything is a bit vague, every parameter is dialled in easily once...and stays that way. Azimuth cost us 2 tries and it was spot on. Nothing is vague the tiniest bit.

All the threads and slopes and knots can easily distract from the fact that this is a very precise instrument. This is day 1... ...and I'm impressed!

And there's something about it I'm unable to get hold of words for, yet.
Something about the presentation seemed more right... ...an ability to portray.

So far I'm VERY happy & wish you and your wife nice evening & a happy New Year!"

Happy New Year all.

I'm Billy. I've just found this thread. I am a very, very happy Blackbird user. I no longer own an Audiomods 6 and I'm feeling no regrets whatsoever.

The SUPATRAC is a wonderful performer. As the above post alludes to there is a certain "rightness" to the sound. Music is so much more engaging.

The arm just let's the cartridge do its thing. The explosive dynamics can be surprising at times, the texture of drums, acoustic bass, vocals - just great.

At the moment it's got a re-tipped Stanton 881s mounted and its phenomenal.

Like Adam at HIFIAF my set up has never sounded so good.Happy to talk more about my experience for those that are interested.

Great arm backed by great customer service.

Happy New Year all.

I'm Billy. I've just found this thread. I am a very, very happy Blackbird user. I no longer own an Audiomods 6 and I'm feeling no regrets whatsoever.

The SUPATRAC is a wonderful performer. As the above post alludes to there is a certain "rightness" to the sound. Music is so much more engaging.

The arm just let's the cartridge do its thing. The explosive dynamics can be surprising at times, the texture of drums, acoustic bass, vocals - just great.

At the moment it's got a re-tipped Stanton 881s mounted and its phenomenal.

Like Adam at HIFIAF my set up has never sounded so good.Happy to talk more about my experience for those that are interested.

Great arm backed by great customer service.

Welcome to PFM Billy, enjoy the place, it's fun and sometimes very lively :D

Cheers Billy! It's very gratifying to know that Blackbird owners are getting as much pleasure from theirs as I get from mine. All the best for 2022!

Shouldn't this thread be in the "Trade" section of the forum?

Are there specific posts which I should remove in order to keep it here? I'm happy to go back and delete them if it helps. Once it's in the Trade section it will disappear into the wayback. It is a thread which has documented the development of a new arm bearing from prototype into a commercial product which is probably of interest to a few members so I, of course, feel it would be a shame to bury it...

I agree, keep it here, as it is an interesting account of a novel new approach to vinyl replay and would likely get no views if moved. It’s not touting for trade.

I'll try to contribute only by responding to pfm members' questions. I apologise if some of my posting has been too promotional - it's the excitement getting to me.

I presume there are now a few arms out there being used by customers. It would be great to get feedback from them on the performance of the arm.

Just a reminder that my posting of users' comments about the Blackbird and SUPA clones was a response to Ian's et al. expression of interest in such. Most customers are not posting reviews on pfm, so one could argue that such comments are informative.

I’m not in the market for your arm at the moment but have found this thread very interesting and most likely not even have see it if it was over in a Trade section, personally I have no issue with it staying exactly where it is.

ATB for your success in 2022, unlike a couple other similar projects on pfm, MDAC version 26 bloke anyone? you’ve actually delivered the goods!

Oh dear. I certainly hope I've not triggered this reaction with my post, on the 24th page of this thread.

I was hoping to provide a user's perspective since there are so few arms in the wild.

I've no affiliations with SUPATRAC other than that of a very happy customer and I am still open to sharing my experience with those interested.

I'll try to contribute only by responding to pfm members' questions. I apologise if some of my posting has been too promotional - it's the excitement getting to me.

No need to apologise. Only once in a blue moon does something new happen. Ok maybe its not that new but you were able to take things one step further and make a truly innovative product. I haven’t heard your arm yet but I truly believe this is a new chapter in analogue audio.

Oh dear. I certainly hope I've not triggered this reaction with my post, on the 24th page of this thread.

I was hoping to provide a user's perspective since there are so few arms in the wild.

I've no affiliations with SUPATRAC other than that of a very happy customer and I am still open to sharing my experience with those interested.
Hello Billy. Good to see you here. You’ll find a few other familiar names here too.

I’m not in the market for your arm at the moment but have found this thread very interesting and most likely not even have see it if it was over in a Trade section, personally I have no issue with it staying exactly where it is.

ATB for your success in 2022, unlike a couple other similar projects on pfm, MDAC version 26 bloke anyone? you’ve actually delivered the goods!

Cheers AA, I wish you a great 2022 too!

I spent a very pleasant evening yesterday helping to install a customer's 10.5 inch Blackbird on his Brinkmann Bardo. He had had a few difficulties, partly because his Blackbird has the first 19mm diameter pillar for Jelco arm collar.

Due to the smaller pillar, the conduit for the electrical plugs and pins is reduced to 10mm, and it can be a little tricky getting the clothes peg connectors properly installed. The 10mm pin plugs are a little fragile too so it may be that I will supply any further pillars at this diameter with a through cable from cartridge to amplifier to make things easier.

My customer was exceedingly patient, kind, friendly and well-informed and once the Bardo/Blackbird/OC9 was set up we listened to a few sides from his great and diverse collection.

I'm not going to say much about how it sounded lest it verge on promotion, but let's just say I thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of my visit! I love the Bardo and have wished for one for many years. It did not disappoint. It is a great privilege to see and hear my handiwork mounted on such an illustrious and beautifully-crafted deck.

bardo.jpg

advertisement

Back