advertisement

Sideways Uni-Pivot Arm, SUPATRAC Blackbird, formerly "Ekos Killer (Price?)"

How do you get your floppy finger lift to stand up?
If you pull the knotted end out of the hole you can loosen it and tighten it again a little further up. The shorter the section above the knot, the more erect it will remain. Don't burst a blood vessel though - tie it too short and you will lose the advantage of the downwards flexibility.

If you listen with the lid down you may want to keep it a bit floppy to reduce the risk that the lid affect downforce and tracking friction. If you don't lower the lid then a more erect wick is easier to grasp.

Probably for the best. As Richard says, you don't want it interfering with other things that are going on, and in my experience if you can't put the lid down, that can open up a world of unexpected discord.

Supatrac sighting at Axpona - at 3:24

Though the credit goes to 'Supratec'! and no mention of the turntable, which I did not recognize. It has a similar form follows function look and I wondered could it be a Supatrac turntable? But no, after a second look I caught sight of the name Consonance on the motor housing.

Last edited:
Probably for the best. As Richard says, you don't want it interfering with other things that are going on, and in my experience if you can't put the lid down, that can open up a world of unexpected discord.

Que?

In my world ... you definitely remove the lid, when playing an LP! 😮

I remove the lid too, but not everybody does. It was important to me that the arm could play a full side under the lids of Rega, Technics and Linn decks and this imposed quite restrictive constraints on the design. It is why I chose to shoe-horn the mechanism into the very limited space under the arm tube. Despite making the design much trickier, it has almost certainly made the arm look much tidier than many others, including the Well Tempered, the Reed and the Kuzma designs.

with4point.jpg

Yes - I took an Opera Wax Engine to AXPONA as I'm trying to lighten my flight case. The 1210G is too much for my temperamental back injury as the case comes in well over 30kg. It's a great little deck - more or less a stripped-down Well Tempered. The arm bearings it came with were shockingly loose, but that doesn't concern me.

It doesn't take a standard arm base. All it has is a 20mm hole with a locking bolt at the side, so I had a panic the day before the show and had to turn a custom pillar with an off centre rotation so that the pillar would contact the deck's bore along two vertical lines. I did try a round pillar in the hole, but it was hopelessly unstable, as you would expect. This is why I'm not a fan of the VPI pillar-locking scheme. Two bolts and one uncertain rail is no substitute for two good rails.

The Wax Engine was excellent but I doubt I will use it at Munich (driving), so I will probably sell it with the custom arm. I just have too many decks now and not enough space for them all.

Probably no lighter due to power supply case and I didn't fancy flying to a US show with a ceramic bearing and platter. I could not have packed the Naia the way I packed the Wax Engine. The Naia is not a traveller's deck.

Not my design. A Polish turntable maker at Munich last year was quite taken by the Blackbird and asked if he could display one on his deck. His turntables were quite over the top in terms of design. Definitely for those who like a bit of bling.

The SUPATRAC Blackbird will be exhibited in at least four rooms at Munich this year. We are a partner in the Moonriver/OePhi/Sonner/Panchanko room (H2 F11) and there will be a Blackbird on the Döhmann Helix One in the Cessaro room (H4 F001), on a Grand Prix Parabolica in the Vienna Acoustics room (A 4.1, E101), and on a Techdas in the Marten room (A 4.1, F119).

The SUPATRAC Blackbird will be exhibited in at least four rooms at Munich this year. We are a partner in the Moonriver/OePhi/Sonner/Panchanko room (H2 F11) and there will be a Blackbird on the Döhmann Helix One in the Cessaro room (H4 F001), on a Grand Prix Parabolica in the Vienna Acoustics room (A 4.1, E101), and on a Techdas in the Marten room (A 4.1, F119).
And Reiki Audio will be alongside you on streaming duty in the Vienna Acoustics room! Will you be at Munich in person?

advertisement

Back