advertisement

Sideways Uni-Pivot Arm, SUPATRAC Blackbird, formerly "Ekos Killer (Price?)"

Linn geometry Blackbird on an interesting fruitbox:

ariston1.jpg

ariston2.jpg

In another forum the customer said:
"I have been listening non-stop since installing it Friday eve and the results have been incredible... ...The Hana seems to be a perfect match for the Blackbird. I couldn't be happier with the current setup... ...The width and depth of the soundstage even with my budget Cambridge unit are the best I've ever heard."

Please note that there has been a specific request on this thread for reports from early adopters who have installed this tonearm, so I hope this response is allowed. If not, please let me know and I will delete it.

Yesterday I installed a Blackbird for a customer on an SME10, replacing an SME V. He is a member here so I hope he may share his listening experiences. Until yesterday it must have been frustrating because I accidentally sent the wrong design of thrust box, and one of the cartridge wiring tags came off when he tried to install. It's all fixed now and I hope he's enjoying it. Unfortunately I had no time to stay and listen, so I only heard enough to be satisfied that it was working properly. Lovely deck, lovely cartridge, lovely system.

sme10.jpg

I do hope your charging enough for this arm and personal service. I’ve only ever been involved in one start up, but from that experience, I know that passion and the desire to delight your customers can often distract from a laser like focus on the bottom line. Luckily, we had a dry eyed, dispassionate old FD, we would of gone under without him. Good luck!

Yesterday I installed a Blackbird for a customer on an SME10, replacing an SME V. He is a member here so I hope he may share his listening experiences. Until yesterday it must have been frustrating because I accidentally sent the wrong design of thrust box, and one of the cartridge wiring tags came off when he tried to install. It's all fixed now and I hope he's enjoying it. Unfortunately I had no time to stay and listen, so I only heard enough to be satisfied that it was working properly. Lovely deck, lovely cartridge, lovely system.

sme10.jpg

Thank you Richard, it was a pleasure to meet you, shame it got late and neither of us had much time to enjoy the music.

It’s early days yet - only played one record so won’t say too much just yet. My very brief listen though was extremely promising and I definitely didn’t want to turn the music off and go to bed last night! I expect I’ll be listening to music all weekend…

Cheers Al - although there was time for only one track I could hear straight away that your system is very revealing and effortless to enjoy.

It has been one of the perks of setting up SUPATRAC that I get to hear a few of the amazing systems of my customers - a real privilege.

I do hope your charging enough for this arm and personal service. I’ve only ever been involved in one start up, but from that experience, I know that passion and the desire to delight your customers can often distract from a laser like focus on the bottom line. Luckily, we had a dry eyed, dispassionate old FD, we would of gone under without him. Good luck!

It's difficult for a fledgling business to reach the point where it breaks even and I'm not there yet, but you have to push through that, I think.

The average person probably thinks that a good turntable in its entirety is worth a few hundred quid, so I think those spending much more than that on a tonearm alone, from a new and still obscure brand, deserve great customer service and support in installation. I intend to make installation and adjustment videos to make life easier for customers who are too far for me to visit.

Tonearms do require some skill in installation so I think potential customers will be reassured by a strong commitment to helping them get the best out of the arm. A precision tonearm is not a 'fire-and-forget' ordnance.

Cheers Al - although there was time for only one track I could hear straight away that your system is very revealing and effortless to enjoy.

It has been one of the perks of setting up SUPATRAC that I get to hear a few of the amazing systems of my customers - a real privilege.

Effortless is a word I’ve used to describe my system; music just flows out of the speakers.

You’re very welcome to drop in for two tracks next time you’re in the area.

I don't see the point in offering two fractionally different styles of thrust box. It's unnecessary complication, no one else does anything like that.
Given the choice adds very little to the overall cost I strongly believe that offering two is the way to go. My Planar 8 would suit the areo design much better than the Death Star which is suited to fluted LP22s

Hi Richard hat's off to you, I guess a lot of us have interesting ideas that remain ideas. My background was originally engineering but there was far more money available in technology sales and marketing so that's where I have spent the past 30 years. I mention this only in the context of what you have achieved in such a short period of time, it really is quite something and you should be proud of yourself. Please drop me a PM when you have Blackbirds available for Rega Planar 8 s. ATB Paul

Unfortunately I haven’t listened to music anywhere near as much as I would like to have due to everyday life. When I have had the time though, this tonearm impresses me enormously. Everything is more musical, trumpet and trombone sound so realistic; what I’ve found most impressive so far is the bass depth. It’s incredible. On more than one occasion I’ve had to get up and check my subs aren’t on! The SME V certainly isn’t shy when it comes to reproducing bass but this Blackbird is on another level.

advertisement

Back