advertisement

Should Scotland be an independent country?

Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Another cry for help? The numbers don’t lie-
SNP 48, Labour 1. The voters spoke on 12 Dec.
So? Sturgeon has said not all SNP voters support independence, but I guess you know best.

What is Sturgeon going to do to persuade Boris to agree to a referendum so soon after you lost the last one? Have you worked it out yet?

Another cry for help? The numbers don’t lie-
SNP 48, Labour 1. The voters spoke on 12 Dec.

FPTP is not a good indicator of sentiment; I don't think you can interpret the vote beyond Scottish voters wanting the SNP representing them at Westminster. :) There were too many other issues that could have affected their vote to see it as a clear mandate for independence: stopping Brexit, a possible coalition with Labour to keep the Tories out, Trident etc.

Current polling shows that the number of pro / anti independence is about the same. Historically, it was only when Boris took over that pro-independence was in the majority due in part to a rise in 'don't knows'. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_on_Scottish_independence

I would suggest that to get a better idea, SNP makes the 2021 election all about Independence and the results from that used assess Scotland's sentiment.

The only platform that the Tories ran on in Scotland was "Stop Indy ref 2". It was plastered all over the fields round here.
They couldn't run on "Get Brexit Done" as Scotland is overwhelming anti-Brexit.
How many seats did the Tories get in Scotland?
I think that speaks volumes for the respective Tory and SNP mandates for Scotland.

The only platform that the Tories ran on in Scotland was "Stop Indy ref 2". It was plastered all over the fields round here.
The couldn't run on "Get Brexit Done" as Scotland is overwhelming anti-Brexit.
How many seats did the Tories get in Scotland?
I think that speaks volumes for the respective Tory and SNP mandates for Scotland.

If you assume that all SNP voters (45.0%) want independence and all Tory voters (25.1%) want to remain in the Union and every vote in GE 2019 was cast based on that one issue, you're still looking at 29.9% of the electorate that you can't second guess.

So, I agree that the results are clear on what Scotland thought about the policies presented by the parties and who they want representing them in the HOC, but it does not send a clear message on independence.

That’s what the referendum will establish and it’s not going to be complicated to work out the effect Brexit, Johnson and his party will have on Scottish voting intentions in the coming years. This is looking every bit like 1979 again except with a Scottish Government and a very different political alignment in Scotland. The point of maximum opportunity isn’t here yet but it’s not going to be long now.

A new approach to inter-community bridge-building:

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/...ces-and-work-with-boris-johnson-38815906.html

One slight problem is this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaufort's_Dyke

The MoD estimates that there may be a million tons of unexploded munitions down there, not to mention chemical weapons and some encased radioactive material.
I liked the bit-

“Professor Alan Dunlop, a fellow of the Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland, urged Ms Sturgeon to "set aside her political differences" with Boris Johnson to back a feasibility study into the project”.

Did the Professor neglect to mention he’d be lead consultant on the feasibility study ( emolument to be negotiated)?
The whole thing reeks of Trumpian vanity project as political distraction. Boris Pontifex Maximus.

A new approach to inter-community bridge-building:

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/...ces-and-work-with-boris-johnson-38815906.html

One slight problem is this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaufort's_Dyke

The MoD estimates that there may be a million tons of unexploded munitions down there, not to mention chemical weapons and some encased radioactive material.

Proposing a bridge over the dyke and across the North channel smacks of insanity. I'm surprised that varadkar allowed himself to be dragged into it.

And, to support it. A motorway to Stranraer? Or all the way over to and down the mull of kintyre? Sure thing

Proposing a bridge over the dyke and across the North channel smacks of insanity. I'm surprised that varadkar allowed himself to be dragged into it.

And, to support it. A motorway to Stranraer? Or all the way over to and down the mull of kintyre? Sure thing
You might be forgiven he’s simply trolling Varadkar as though he was Britain Trump.

In the recent General Election, here are the numbers for Scotland:
Registered voters 4,053,140
SNP 1,242,380
Conservative 692,939
LibDem 263,417
Labour 511,838
Green 28,122

Sturgeon acknowledges not all SNP voters support independence and only ~30% of Scots registered to vote opted for the SNP. Sturgeon has stated that 60% is needed before calling another referendum and they don't have 60%. The SNP does not have a mandate for another referendum, let alone a mandate for independence.

If she goes begging to the tories, the numbers give Johnson an open goal for:

A motorway to Stranraer?

Aha, if only... One of the reasons I stopped driving to Belfast via Great Britain was that road between the border at Gretna and the Larne ferry at Cairnryan - single lane much of the way and terrible in bad weather, especially if your steering wheel is on the wrong side! I now drive to Cherbourg and take the ferry to Dublin.

advertisement

Back