advertisement

Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Norwegians seem quite happy about it. But then they are smarter than everyone else as well as being Vikings.
Their government has been unusually careful to invest the money for the long term future of all of their citizens. This is not typical politician behaviour

Thanks for clarifying the issue. I'll have a go at clearing things up with you.

You said, " You, on the other hand, would rather see them forced to remain in the UK with no referendum. "
No. That's not the case.
What I've said is, I don't believe the Tories will agree to a referendum and I've asked the nationalists what Sturgeon can do about that.

You said, "You seemed very keen a little while back to argue about the 'will of the people"
No, I did not. I don't believe I've ever mentioned the term, "the will of the people", I certainly don't think of it in that way. Yes, the referendum was 52/48 but I've actually argued that the 48% should be taken into consideration in however it pans out.

You said, "maybe you should never have voted to leave the EU if you didn't want the mess that comes next..oh and save that 'I'm not telling you which way I voted' tripe ... you voted to leave.. it's so glaringly obvious it's farcical that you keep denying it!"
Well, the fact is, you don't know how I voted in the referendum. I have my thoughts both positive and negative on EU membership and I have my reasons for voting how I did. This
is private and is not the business of people reading pfm. However, I will tell you I have not helped enable a Tory govt, nor did I vote for the Brexit party in the GE.

You said, "As for the topic why do you not want the UK to break up,"
I don't have to make a case for not breaking up the UK. Those wishing to do so need to make the case and justify to voters in a referendum why Scotland should be poorer, if only for some temporary period of time. They have so far failed badly to do so.

If there is a referendum and Scots vote to leave then I wish them well. I don't want Scotland to fail and be poorer because as I keep saying, I like Scotland, I simply think it will be damaged badly by leaving the UK. I'm quite happy for you to take the opposing view without ranting and raving at you about it.

What is contentious in any of that?

The problem with you Brian is not what you say, but what you mean. Yes all the above may well be have things you have written in here, but you then argue so vociferously about how indyref2 will fail or if it succeeds Scotland will fail etc. etc. backing it up with twisted stats that are borderline meaningless that if you really meant the above you wouldn't be concerned with to the level you are.

You were exactly the same over Brexit.... the thing is it's so glaringly transparent where you really stand it's embarrassing. For instance, why you carry on pretending to not tell us which way you voted in the Brexit referendum is laughable frankly...you must think we are all stupid.

Perhaps stopping being such an attention seeker and being honest with yourself might be a good NY's resolution for you. HTH :D

The problem with you Brian is not what you say, but what you mean. Yes all the above may well be have things you have written in here, but you then argue so vociferously about how indyref2 will fail or if it succeeds Scotland will fail etc. etc. backing it up with twisted stats that are borderline meaningless that if you really meant the above you wouldn't be concerned with to the level you are.

You were exactly the same over Brexit.... the thing is it's so glaringly transparent where you really stand it's embarrassing. For instance, why you carry on pretending to not tell us which way you voted in the Brexit referendum is laughable frankly...you must think we are all stupid.

Perhaps stopping being such an attention seeker and being honest with yourself might be a good NY's resolution for you. HTH :D
More nonsense from you. Why am I not surprised...

I say exactly what I mean. For instance, I don’t think all people here are stupid but you most certainly are, trigger.

I’m not pretending to ‘not tell us’ which way I voted in the referendum, I’m really not telling.

My New Years resolution is to keep the Brainfart on ignore.

More nonsense from you. Why am I not surprised...

I say exactly what I mean. For instance, I don’t think all people here are stupid but you most certainly are, trigger.

I’m not pretending to ‘not tell us’ which way I voted in the referendum, I’m really not telling.

Being called stupid by you is an oxymoron if ever there was one!

My neighbour, with whom I had the conversation leading to the thread I posted suggesting England shpuld leave the UK, suggested yesterday the johnson might repeal the devolution act as a way out of his referenda problems.

The electorate in Scotland was offered a choice at the GE. They voted overwhelmingly for the party that places independence at the head of its mission. Boris Johnson and his government are going to enable independence directly and indirectly. The voters of Scotland need to seize the opportunity firmly with both hands. Our future is as a small nation inside Europe, well away from anything politically resembling Johnson and Trump.

Gove was on the BBC saying ‘no’. It’s providing, like the attacks on Harry and Meghan, a media diversion from very Brexit problems but paradoxically every time someone like Gove tells the electorate in Scotland that their democratically expressed wishes for a referendum are illegitimate, the more they act as recruiting sergeant for the cause. Everyone can see the direction of travel. It’s merely a question of time.

The SNP long term plan probably relied on the Tories saying no this time, as ultimately the contempt that they're showing for the Scottish electorate is likely to increase support for independence (which I suspect is still not yet clearly in favour of a Yes vote) - as will waiting until the end of 2020 when the UK is likely to crash out of Europe without any effective deal to cushion the blow.

advertisement

Back