advertisement

Post-Trump: Biden President Elect II (Trump tantrums, riots etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Squad could have leveraged their power to force Pelosi's hand, Matthew, but they didn't.

There's no 'dissection' needed. It's very straightforward.

This demand that AOC and Co. force a meaningless vote was just a set-up to denounce them when they didn't. Interesting that you are participating, Max, but doesn't surprise me.
What absolute wacky nonsense, Don!

Millions of Americans have lost their healthcare due to Covid. Because they can't pay the costs. These can be added to the millions that are already uninsured or underinsured.

There has never been a time when healthcare as a human right is more necessary, during a global pandemic which has hit the US harder than anywhere else.

These Justice Democrats main goal was to fight tooth n nail for Medicare for all. It's what they ran on. It's why they primaried blue collar corporate Democratic shills who were not fighting for it.

They had a moment when they had power. A moment when their support mattered to the criminals running the corrupt party you so slavishly defend. They could have forced the floor vote. It would have worked, and it would have been anything but meaningless!

Elected officials, public servants would have had to go on public record and show their true colours, during a time when many Americans were suffering more than ever, and vote yes or no to providing them the help they so desperately need. Help that an overwhelming majority of Democratic voters and the majority of Republican voters, American citizens all, want.

This would have been a major step towards Medicare for all, the primary goal of AOC and the Squad, according to their own words, highlighted by Joe earlier.

They did not do it! They bent the knee to power. The same power you try to protect with your weasly words! No doubt you have healthcare, Don.

Perhaps you should spare a thought for those less fortunate than you, but then I guess that's not the American way!

This demand that AOC and Co. force a meaningless vote was just a set-up to denounce them when they didn't.

And even if it was meant in good faith it was entirely performative and would have lead nowhere. Blowing your political leverage to enforce a meaningless vote for clicks and giggles with youtube Tankies is about as bad a political take as I have seen on the left in 35 years.

Max, IIRC you are a fan of AOC? If so, we can agree on that, at least, but that Majority Report piece that Matthew linked to upthread, showed a tweet from her that doesn’t support your position, but aligns more with the line taken in the show. Essentially, what Don and Matthew said - it’d be meaningless, and worse, if you lose, you’ve shot your bolt. Far better to use your leverage to get short term doable stuff like a decent minimum wage, and get positions of influence so as to bring about what you want in the longer term.

And even if it was meant in good faith it was entirely performative and would have lead nowhere. Blowing your political leverage to enforce a meaningless vote for clicks and giggles with youtube Tankies is about as bad a political take as I have seen on the left in 35 years.
Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, here I am, stuck in the centre with power.

Max, IIRC you are a fan of AOC? If so, we can agree on that, at least, but that Majority Report piece that Matthew linked to upthread, showed a tweet from her that doesn’t support your position, but aligns more with the line taken in the show. Essentially, what Don and Matthew said - it’d be meaningless, and worse, if you lose, you’ve shot your bolt. Far better to use your leverage to get short term doable stuff like a decent minimum wage, and get positions of influence so as to bring about what you want in the longer term.
They get nothing! Zero! Biden is already signed up to the minimum wage, so there is no fight there, not that they'd have influence anyway!

Look into force the vote further before believing the narrative portrayed by those whose careers depend upon obedience to the powerful, and the guys on forums who pretentiously parrot their bull shit.

You are not keeping up, Sue. AOC and Bernie are centrist corporate shills now and the closer they get to power the more obvious this is to all fellow travellers.

Look into force the vote further before believing the narrative portrayed by those whose careers depend upon obedience to the powerful, and the guys on forums who pretentiously parrot their bull shit.
‘Do your own research, start *here*’ is pure QAnon methodology. You know that, don’t you?

By the way, force the vote was heavily supported by Dr Cornel West, Nina Turner and Chris Hedges, to name but a few 'YouTube tankies' :rolleyes:

‘Do your own research, start *here*’ is pure QAnon methodology. You know that, don’t you?
Your constant referencing of Q'Anon is just weird.

Perhaps things aren't going well at home? Forums can become places to vent.

I try not to get too involved in that anymore.

Have a nice day.

You are not keeping up, Sue. AOC and Bernie are centrist corporate shills now and the closer they get to power the more obvious this is to all fellow travellers.
Exactly. Now who would find them useful as gadflies, but not want them to actually be successful in solving some of the problems that make Americans angry and cynical?

The article max linked to above made the point that the same could be said of the decision to impeach Trump - largely performative and futile. It's not a knockdown argument but it's an effective rhetorical point, I think.

For the record I believe it was right to impeach Trump because there was both a moral imperative, and it forced Republicans to go on record as either supporting fascism or opposing it. You could say the same about the Medicare vote - it would have forced the issue and made politicians from both parties come out and say what they really believed. Both issues are matters of life and death.

I don't see how this would have blown the left Democrats' political leverage but your point raises the general question of whether any concessions were extracted from the mainstream Democrats, in return for supporting Pelosi. When is the right time to use political leverage, and for what?

The article max linked to above made the point that the same could be said of the decision to impeach Trump - largely performative and futile. It's not a knockdown argument but it's an effective rhetorical point, I think.

For the record I believe it was right to impeach Trump because there was both a moral imperative, and it forced Republicans to go on record as either supporting fascism or opposing it. You could say the same about the Medicare vote - it would have forced the issue and made politicians from both parties come out and say what they really believed. Both issues are matters of life and death.

I don't see how this would have blown the left Democrats' political leverage but your point raises the general question of whether any concessions were extracted from the mainstream Democrats, in return for supporting Pelosi. When is the right time to use political leverage, and for what?
Your objective, rational analysis is very welcome, Drood.

They got nothing from Pelosi, who AOC refers to as 'Mamma Bear'

She stands between AOC and the squad's stated political goal. She's the enemy in that sense, and while appeasement can sometimes work it's clear that in terms of progressives in the Democratic Party that it hasn't/doesn't/won't.

Therefore they must fight, just like AOC and the rest promised they would. But they did not, and now their leverage is gone!

I-did-my-own-research.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back