advertisement

Ortofon's MC Anna and 12" arms

A more solid floor will always be better than one that isn't for something like a turntable, microscope. A tuned suspension that gets set off by a poor floor doesn't make it inferior to a turntable that doesn't. I think there's more involved...

It's almost certainly a lot more complex than that. Just because a floor has a vibrational mode or movement that is incompatible with an LP12 suspension doesn't necessarily imply it's detrimental at other frequencies to other decks that don't have a weakness at that (obviously subsonic) frequency. One could of course argue a concrete floor is better, though again there is no such thing as a free lunch and many consider this construction to be worse from a room acoustics perspective. I don't know the exact stats, but I'd estimate about 80-85% of UK houses are built with suspended wooden floors, and mine is actually a rather nice and solid one (proper old-school Victorian construction!). It's a perfectly normal environment in which to expect a home audio system to function.

It's almost certainly a lot more complex than that. Just because a floor has a vibrational mode or movement that is incompatible with an LP12 suspension doesn't necessarily imply it's detrimental at other frequencies to other decks that don't have a weakness at that (obviously subsonic) frequency. One could of course argue a concrete floor is better, though again there is no such thing as a free lunch and many consider this construction to be worse from a room acoustics perspective. I don't know the exact stats, but I'd estimate about 80-85% of UK houses are built with suspended wooden floors, and mine is actually a rather nice and solid one (proper old-school Victorian construction!). It's a perfectly normal environment in which to expect a home audio system to function.

But walking/jumping around the LP12 in your room set off the suspension?

Well, I like to walk across the floor now and again, and that's something a Linn often can't deal with!

FWIW I'm personally deeply skeptical of the TD-150/LP12 type suspension.

I'd have to agree with you Tony.

The recent LP12 has what I think is called a Trampoline base. I imagine it was named after the behavior of the subchassis should one walk anywhere near the deck in a Victorian semi.

The recent LP12 has what I think is called a Trampoline base. I imagine it was named after the behavior of the subchassis should one walk anywhere near the deck in a Victorian semi.

It was designed for those with compromised environments for their turntable which apparently quite a few folks suffer from.

'Trampolinn' goes back to the early 90s.

I think if you have a wobbly floor then a shelf is recommended.

Paul

Sorry Paul, by "recent" I just meant my recent one.

It was only said in jest anyway - I had however forgotten just how excitable the LP12's suspension is under normal circumstances.

As result of this 'Anna/12inch' thread, I have just spent fifteen minutes with my stylus in the stationary groove, banging the support table, jumping on the suspended floor and generally trying to get a noise from the deck. No luck. Complete silence.
The medical help is on its way, I'm told to stay calm and have a nice cup of tea.

As for the subject of the 'Anna', do you have any special reason to single this out? Because at the price there is a lot of good choice. Koetsu, Benz and Dynavector would be where I looked; although it is near impossible to get an audition, which is what you would really need.
Anyway, think i'l go and shout at the record deck to see if it will respond with a little feedback. Or I could be really odd and actually play a record........

Those are all still impulses.

Try outputting pink noise or even music at a high level near the deck from your cdp and record the output of the phono stage to a needle drop

As for the subject of the 'Anna', do you have any special reason to single this out? Because at the price there is a lot of good choice. Koetsu, Benz and Dynavector would be where I looked; although it is near impossible to get an audition

I have become an ortofon fan of late. The Anna is the top dog, and it's a hefty 16grams. I know the resonant frequency, effective mass, and compliance all look good. I was just a little worried about the moment of inertia with 16g, 12" from the pivot, hence the thread "if anyone has heard it in both the 9 and 12" V's".

I will just relax about it and most likely just buy one and enjoy it.

Those are all still impulses.

Try outputting pink noise or even music at a high level near the deck from your cdp and record the output of the phono stage to a needle drop

It is also possible to record crosstalk at the same time, maybe best to do a recording first without the table connected to the phono and then compare.

Shit, now I'm off topic too now.

I have become an ortofon fan of late. The Anna is the top dog, and it's a hefty 16grams. I know the resonant frequency, effective mass, and compliance all look good. I was just a little worried about the moment of inertia with 16g, 12" from the pivot, hence the thread" if anyone has heard it in both the 9 and 12" V's".

I'm certain it would be fine, ideal in fact. 9cu is very low indeed, it would be fine in a real heavyweight like an Fidelity Research FR66 let alone a medium mass SME V-12. Ortofon have a very long history of 12" arms and three of their four current offerings are such (link). Why not drop them an email? I've found them approachable on the couple of occasions I've had a question.

I have become an ortofon fan of late. The Anna is the top dog, and it's a hefty 16grams. I know the resonant frequency, effective mass, and compliance all look good. I was just a little worried about the moment of inertia with 16g, 12" from the pivot, hence the thread "if anyone has heard it in both the 9 and 12" V's".

I'm sure the arm length is irrelevant if the effective mass + cart mass and compliance work together.

Paul

As mentioned earlier, I did use the AS-309S with an SPU and also a Rondo Bronze for some time. They were mounted in a slate plinth and teamed with the Technics.

In many ways, still my favourite vinyl combination and no problem at all and the Anna strikes me as sharing a lot of SPU DNA. Low compliance, high tracking force, heavyweight MC. I suspect it will work wonderfully well but a call to SME Technical for their own thoughts would give interesting feedback too.

Sorry Paul, by "recent" I just meant my recent one.
One forgets how long these things have been around.

It was only said in jest anyway - I had however forgotten just how excitable the LP12's suspension is under normal circumstances.
It's just the way it is, and I think the main purpose of the Linn and equivalent Thorens suspension is to isolate the platter from the motor. The modern Linn motor probably makes the suspension unnecessary...

OTOH I'm not at all sure I understand what the SME suspension with all its damping is for.

Paul

Yeah saw that, I'm relaxed now and will wait till I recover from the cost of the 20/12 V12 combo then pick up an Anna and enjoy the music.

That's it. Great plan. Forget all the 'theory' and just enjoy your lovely deck. I think you will be thrilled. I'd like an 'Anna', but the cost........

I've one more question: several people have outlined how you can objectively test the isolation of a deck. So how come no reviewer, however 'technical' ever does this? It would bring a bit of light to what is a muddy and controversial topic. We'd actually have some proper data to disagree about.

advertisement

Back